Momirovski emerges from goal-kicking demons with renewed confidence

• Momirovski emerges from goal-kicking demons with renewed confidence
    Author
    Margie McDonald
    Senior Reporter
    Timestamp
    Sat 24 Aug 2019, 07:01 AM
    Margie McDonald

Paul Momirovski felt the full glare of the NRL spotlight after missing the last-minute goal that would have tied the scores in the Wests Tigers-Bulldogs match a fortnight ago.

It sprayed to the left of the uprights and the Bulldogs won 18-16. Momirovski put his head in his hands and sank to his knees. The Tigers needed that win.

But the kindness of strangers helped ease the mental pain – Bulldogs players led by skipper Josh Jackson came up to console him. Other NRL players like Dragons Ben Hunt, who has also been haunted by a big mistake at ANZ Stadium, sent him messages of support.

So when he lined up last week to kick two conversions at Lottoland, he had no demons. He slotted both kicks perfectly. He expects to do the same on Saturday when Wests Tigers host the Knights at Campbelltown Stadium.

He’s only relatively new to this goal-kicking caper since Esan Marsters and Moses Mbye were doing the bulk of it earlier in the season.

“It was one of those things that you don’t really know how you’re going to feel in that situation until you’re there,” Momirovski told NRL.com.

Wests Tigers v Knights - Round 23
    “I got thrust into it [goal kicking] at the last minute but I had been practising and I’d kicked before – but not in the NRL. So there were a bit of nerves there,” he said of the Bulldogs match.

"But I’m confident in myself that I can do it. I only had two kicks against Manly but that all helps with my confidence.

"I know I will definitely be better for the experience. It happened, I can’t escape from it, but there’s many things I took out of that.

“I feel I’m getting a better calmness about me and other little things I can rectify about my kicking.”

There was the usual nastiness on social media, but the way fans and players of opposition clubs – as well as the Tigers – opened up to him was touching.

"The amount of support I received was huge – huge. It was nice, but I’m not someone who dwells too much on things.

"I know it was pretty crucial for our season. But I learnt more from missing that goal because I’ll be a better player for it.

"I understand the pressure of kicking and what’s at stake – I got slapped right in the face with the importance of it in that game.

“But I’m confident in myself – confident I can handle that.”

Both the Tigers and Knights are on 20 competition points – one win out of the top eight.

The race for the last two finals spots
    “There are parts of our game we need to improve and we’re running out of time. Every week is a big week for us with only three rounds left – we need to win every single one,” Momirovski said.

He’s still in love with rugby league despite being put through the wringer the past fortnight.

"Absolutely still love the game. And the fact I’ve decided to keep kicking and getting better shows that. I’m not shying away from it – I’m willing to take that pressure.

"The lessons I’ve learned you can’t really learn in any other environment so I know the value in that.

"No one is looking back at me now. We’ve had plenty of chances throughout the season to put ourselves in a better situation.

“But we’re in the one we’re in now and we have to fight our way out of it.”

• Played well, kicked well, consider demons dead and buried… good job young fella

• Practice practice and then some more.

Handy player and we desperately need a kicker.

Really good game against the knights Momo.

• Good on you Momo - knew you would improve given the chance, hard work, patience and a willingness to learn are great attributes.

Well done.

• Bloody oath Momo love you man. Developing into a fantastic player. His goal kicking was really good tonight. Kicked more from the sideline in one night than Marsters did all season. Sorry Esan shouldn’t bag on you I also love you man you just need confidence I know you can do it. Yes boya who are who are who are we

• I was against him at the start but I must admit I really like this bloke. Good team player.

• Great kicking tonight. He has been one of our best week to week.

He is playing well, only question mark is his speed ( but that may just be perceived on my part), I think he could be a good lock in years to come.

• His game is improving each week. He is no speedster but makes up for it with a good step, his defence and positioning is good and now that his goal kicking is developing … I think we may have a very good centre 3/4 option developing nicely.

• Here come the fence sitters 2 weeks ago you wanted him hung … tonight he is wonderfull, some of us knew he was going to workout you could see he had the right mental attitude all along.

• He was good tonight …but the kick he missed was almost an exact replica of the one he missed v the Dogs

Not criticizing …just sayin

• @happy_tiger said in Momirovski emerges from goal-kicking demons with renewed confidence:

He was good tonight …but the kick he missed was almost an exact replica of the one he missed v the Dogs

Not criticizing …just sayin

He hits them too hard .
    He’s a good positional player …slower than a wet week though !

• @happy_tiger he also kicked one from about the same spot

• @happy_tiger He slotted one home from the exact position a kick later. Then kicked 3 more from the sideline. No point criticizing his kicking tonight, because it was wonderful.

• @TigersBusDriver said in Momirovski emerges from goal-kicking demons with renewed confidence:

@happy_tiger He slotted one home from the exact position a kick later. Then kicked 3 more from the sideline. No point criticizing his kicking tonight, because it was wonderful.

He was really good …just funny how the mind works

• @momo_amp_medo said in Momirovski emerges from goal-kicking demons with renewed confidence:

His game is improving each week. He is no speedster but makes up for it with a good step, his defence and positioning is good and now that his goal kicking is developing … I think we may have a very good centre 3/4 option developing nicely.

100% mate. He has speed, but not pure gas. But he makes up for it with his smarts. Clearly thinks about the game a lot.

Recent Topics