Luke Brooks' Running game

• @hobbo1 said in Luke Brooks' Running game:

I believe our position on the ladder outweighs the stats

Our position on the ladder reflects a lot of things. Personally, given our roster I’m surprised we are still in contention. A lot of that is down to our halves and the coach.

• @fibrodreaming said in Luke Brooks' Running game:

@hobbo1 said in Luke Brooks' Running game:

I believe our position on the ladder outweighs the stats

Our position on the ladder reflects a lot of things. Personally, given our roster I’m surprised we are still in contention. A lot of that is down to our halves and the coach.

Chee Kam says hi 👋

• @Masterton
    Fair call.
    It would be absurd to think that Brooks is going rogue by continually doing these kicks…so it must be a directive. Apportioning blame is probably fairer.
    I suppose I lean to blaming Brooks more because the kicks themselves are so unpenetrating (is that a word?) and pressure relieving for the opposition.
    If every other one was a torpedo or found grass then at least there would be some redeeming feature to his kicking them.
    Also, perhaps because this kick has Brooks’s MO for his whole career is why it seems like it’s a Brooks thing.

• @hobbo1 rest of the world embracing analytics and your over here saying “stats lol” good one.

• @Dyloh said in Luke Brooks' Running game:

rest of the world embracing analytics and your over here saying “stats lol” good one

Yeah, best to ignore them if they don’t support your opinion. In the case of Brooks and Benji, they support my opinion so I’m happy to quote them.

• Brooks has vastly more run metres than any other halfback in the game. Cleary is second best and he’s about 400 odd metres behind Brooksy.

Anyone who has watched Brooks knows that his running game is not an issue. That’s his go to strength.

• @hobbo1 said in Luke Brooks' Running game:

@fibrodreaming said in Luke Brooks' Running game:

@hobbo1 said in Luke Brooks' Running game:

His short kicking game is weak …

The stats don’t support that assertion.

I believe our position on the ladder outweighs the stats …

Stats lol

The irony for you is that “position on ladder” is a statistic, same as forced drop-outs or errors.

• G’day @Tiger_Steve: Very Well said ☺ re your positive thoughts about Luke Brooks ✌ .

• Here here @fibrodreaming: agree with you 100% ☺

• @Sart0ri said in Luke Brooks' Running game:

We want him to run at the right time. When the opposition forwards are tired, when the defensive line is retreating or disorganised.

If our forwards are not winning the ruck, the defensive line will be organised and the chances of making a break or creating one are very low.

I think Brooks should run early …it then put the defence in two minds the whole game

• Fair dinkum @jirskyr: you’re cutting a pretty short straw with your “position on ladder” is a statistic.
    Statistics can be used to prove or disprove a point, they can be used in all sorts of ways. “position on ladder” is a fact and cannot be used for any other purpose than what it is. Therefore @fibrodreaming is 100% correct.
    Have a great day jirskyr ☺

• @MAGPIES1963 said in Luke Brooks' Running game:

Fair dinkum @jirskyr: you’re cutting a pretty short straw with your “position on ladder” is a statistic.
    Statistics can be used to prove or disprove a point, they can be used in all sorts of ways. “position on ladder” is a fact and cannot be used for any other purpose than what it is. Therefore @fibrodreaming is 100% correct.
    Have a great day jirskyr ☺

Not even close mate, a statistic is:

• a characteristic of a sample. Generally, a statistic is used to estimate the value of a population (Stat Trek)
    • any quantity computed from values in a sample, often the mean. Technically speaking, a statistic can be calculated by applying any mathematical function to the values found in a sample of data. (Wikipedia)
    • a fact or piece of data obtained from a study of a large quantity of numerical data (Oxford dictionary)
    • a quantity (such as the mean of a sample) that is computed from a sample (Merriam Webster)

The position on the premiership table is built upon:

• number of wins
    • number of draws
    • number of byes
    • points for
    • points against

That is 5 parameters which are combined to ascertain your “total premiership points” and corresponding position on the ladder. By whatever definition of “statistic” you choose to pick, table position is a value computed from several data samples, which provides an analytical characteristic of those samples.

So yeah, statistics can be used to prove or disprove points. Points such as “Tigers are ahead of Warriors on the current NRL table”. Position on ladder is a fact, but all statistics are facts in and of themselves - the extent to which you can develop a further argument is where opinion and interpretation come into play.

Hence back to hobbo’s post, where he submitted that Luke Brooks has a weak short kicking game, supported by evidence of “table position”.

Also I didn’t reply to fibro, I replied to hobbo. So yeah, I believe @fibrodreaming is 100% correct too.

• ForumSupporter

My head hurts…

Go Brooksey

BYW i just looked at the 1st half to see the 10 kicks that went down the throat of the opposition.I don’t think it sucked TBH…

1st kick by Brooks caught by SKD 3m out stopped on 10m line
    2nd kick by Marshall caught by Pongo on 20m line tackled on the 30m
    3rd kick by Brooks caught by SKD on 5m line who passed to Pongo tackled on 20m line
    4th kick Brooks spilt by Pongo TRY Jennings
    5th kick Brooks caught by Best 10m out tackled on 20m
    6th kick cross field by Brooks caught by Garner who threw it out the back cleaned up by Lino…they then made an error and Brooks puts Garner in to score
    7th kick Brooks caught by SKD 3m out stopped 8m out…
    8th Kick by Brooks caught by SKD 1m out stopped 6m out
    9th kick was by Marsters …Pongo got out of the in goal
    10th kick by Marshall to the in goal Pongo trapped by a good chase by Marshall and Reynolds…

4 of Brooks kicks were from our side of half way landing within 10m of the Knights line…

• @Geo Brooks kicking against the Cows at LO was similar to this. The Cows had no energy to attack at our end after trying to get out of their own half.
    Against the Knight it was pin point again.
    Our rookie front row did very well against Klemmer and Co. Benji out of DH gave Brooks the space he needed so the kicks weren’t rushed.

• @bigsiro said in Luke Brooks' Running game:

Still think his kicking game sucked - first ten kicks were straight down the throat of the fullback/winger. I get the tactic of keeping them down there, but he does it too often IMO. When he started to change tactic that’s when he became the effective 7; less predictable, more dangerous. Wish he’d just chill with those long pressure-relieving bombs to no-one.

But he ran the ball well. Bloody well. He picked that lane with Garner and abused the defense. Had a very good second half.
    One of our best on the night no doubt.

I don’t think it’s fair to single Brooks out for hitting the fullback on the full, it happens to all kickers when outside of the 30.

Outside of the 30 with both wingers and fullbacks retreated and waiting for it the kickers primary objective is distance and with that comes height in the kick. As soon as you get height in the kick it’s very easy for the back three to get across and under the ball.

Recent Topics