Retire Packer?

• The Brisbane Broncos are on the verge of continuing their roster clean out by asking long-term captain Darius Boyd to retire at season’s end.

The dual premiership and former Origin fullback has born the brunt of widespread criticism this season after a handful of shocking performances, including after last Friday’s loss to the South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Boyd is still contracted with the Broncos for another two season on a rich $800,000 deal, however with Anthony Seibold arriving at the start of the year, the club is looking to reinvigorate its young roster.

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/amp/league/news/nrl-2019-brisbane-broncos-may-ask-daius-boyd-to-retire/1tkw6i4pxy0fz1viawjionhw19?__twitter_impression=true

Surely Boyd won’t be forgoing $1.6m…

How do we do the same with Packer?

• With the potential for him to earn somewhere in the ballpark of 1.5 Mil over the next 2 years? Good luck.

• Boyd would be a shoe-in for a media job surely…

• Packer isn’t going anywhere. He is happy to play reserves for his money.
    No pride. Just a bludger.

• @matchball said in Retire Packer?:

Packer isn’t going anywhere. He is happy to play reserves for his money.

I saw ol’ Greg Eastwood getting his $800k for Newtown the other day. He looked pretty happy.

• @Masterton said in Retire Packer?:

@matchball said in Retire Packer?:

Packer isn’t going anywhere. He is happy to play reserves for his money.

I saw ol’ Greg Eastwood getting his $800k for Newtown the other day. He looked pretty happy.

His $800K ended last year, he’s playing for a crate of pies and a sausage roll this year.

• A medical retirement (ie, injury forces a retirement) I believe allows a player to be paid out without that money being included in the cap.

Isn’t that how Parra got around their cap drama’s via Anthony Watmough?

• @madunit said in Retire Packer?:

A medical retirement (ie, injury forces a retirement) I believe allows a player to be paid out without that money being included in the cap.

Would have to get signed off by the insurer though wouldn’t it? And insurers don’t like paying out anything in my experience.

• @madunit said in Retire Packer?:

A medical retirement (ie, injury forces a retirement) I believe allows a player to be paid out without that money being included in the cap.

A medical retirement would only happen if he couldn’t get back on the field. There’s no signs of that with Packer. Not every injury can be medically retired.

• @avocadoontoast Insurers don’t like paying out - you got that right.

But sometimes they have no option. Medical retirements have happened a few times in the past few years I believe, so that could be a workaround.

• @bythebeardofzeus said in Retire Packer?:

Boyd would be a shoe-in for a media job surely…

Now that’s the funniest thing I have read in a while.

• No way Packer could be retired medically - he was injured (toe) has had an operation and I would think would be fit to play for 2020.

Matulino is another kettle of fish - knee is gone, has played most of the games in the past few years until the knee went a few months ago - he would be a chance to be medically retired.

• I’m not saying he can be Medically retired. I merely said it was the only way I could see how you could retire a player and pay them out without the salary coming under the cap.

• You can be assured that the Broncos will offer to “look after” Boyd if he does choose to retire.

To avoid NRL scrutiny it will be an unofficial thing, because Robbie Farah, but it will be there. Question for Darius is whether he trusts his short-term financial future to a handshake agreement.

Personally I’d take it, if he is ok to stop playing footy. Get a big old payout agreement and if the Broncos renege or it falls apart, go public with the deal and ruin the club. He would surely have them over a barrel.

• @jirskyr said in Retire Packer?:

You can be assured that the Broncos will offer to “look after” Boyd if he does choose to retire.

To avoid NRL scrutiny it will be an unofficial thing, because Robbie Farah, but it will be there. Question for Darius is whether he trusts his short-term financial future to a handshake agreement.

Personally I’d take it, if he is ok to stop playing footy. Get a big old payout agreement and if the Broncos renege or it falls apart, go public with the deal and ruin the club. He would surely have them over a barrel.

From what I heard it will be ESL if it happens …it won’t be a retirement as such

Broncs can thank Unca Wayne for that mess

Recent Topics