Wests Tigers Team v St George Illawarra

Wests Tigers Head Coach Michael Maguire has named an unchanged 20-man squad for his side’s must-win clash against the St. George-Illawarra Dragons this Sunday.

Kickoff for the match is at 4:05pm AEST from the Sydney Cricket Ground as Wests Tigers look to build on last week’s win and keep their finals hopes alive.

Off the back of a dominant 46-4 win over the Newcastle Knights in Round 23, Maguire has named an unchanged 20-man squad for Sunday’s clash against the Dragons with Josh Reynolds named in the number nine jersey.

Reynolds was involved in a late change last week that saw the playmaker come off the bench during the first half, but has been named again in the run-on side.

His inclusion sees Matt Eisenhuth drop back to the bench alongside Elijah Taylor, Alex Twal and Michael Chee Kam, while young guns Tommy Talau and Sam McIntyre join Chris McQueen as part of the extended 20-man squad

With Moses Mbye (hip flexor) still not available, Benji Marshall will captain the side for the sixth time this year in what will be his 240th game for Wests Tigers.

Paul Momirovski and Esan Marsters remain in the centres with Mbye unavailable, with Robert Jennings and David Nofoaluma on the wings.

Sunday’s game will be the first time Wests Tigers have faced the Dragons at the Sydney Cricket Ground in over six years, with their last matchup coming in Round 24 of the 2013 season where Wests Tigers won 34-18.

Both teams will provide an updated 19-man squad for Sunday’s game at 4:05pm AEST on Saturday before finalising their side one hour prior to kickoff.

1. Corey Thompson
  2. Robert Jennings
  3. Paul Momirovski
  4. Esan Marsters
  5. David Nofoaluma
  6. Benji Marshall
  7. Luke Brooks
  8. Thomas Mikaele
  9. Josh Reynolds
  10. Oliver Clark
  11. Luke Garner
  12. Chris Lawrence
  13. Ryan Matterson

Interchange:
14. Matt Eisenhuth
15. Elijah Taylor
16. Alex Twal
17. Michael Chee Kam

Reserves:
18. Tommy Talau
19. Chris McQueen
20. Sam McIntyre

I must have missed something but how are we able to only name a 20 man squad? Thought it had to initially be 21? Or is this a ‘TBC’ thing with Moses?

@WSMWT said in Wests Tigers Team v St George Illawarra:

I must have missed something but how are we able to only name a 20 man squad? Thought it had to initially be 21? Or is this a ‘TBC’ thing with Moses?

Not compulsory to name 21 …It gets chopped to 19 24hr before but you can’t bring anyone not named in the initial squad without an exemption…

@WSMWT said in Wests Tigers Team v St George Illawarra:

Unless there’s an injury, no one from outside the 17 will play.

As expected. Let’s get the W. Up The Tigers 🐯

Sailor V Thomo

Gonna be a good one

as well as Matto x Frizell

Looking Forward to this game

I’m really not keen on Reynolds at 9. I think this is a mistake and his passes out of dummy half are going to cause knock-ons and hospital passes.

last edited by tigerbill

Am I right in saying the last time we played the Dragons at the SCG was Brooks’ debut? Hope he has another blinder!

@tigerbill I’m guessing it will be similar to last week. Maybe Reynolds stays on the bench for the first 30mins. ET starts.
this is where it gets complex… In Attack Benji goes to 9 . Matterson goes to 5/8. ET to 13. In defence E.T 9. Matterson 13 Benji 6.
is this right,? I don’t know

@bythebeardofzeus said in Wests Tigers Team v St George Illawarra:

Am I right in saying the last time we played the Dragons at the SCG was Brooks’ debut? Hope he has another blinder!

You would be wrong. We played them there in 2013 and lost.

Hoping Benji spends big minutes in the 9 position

Knock the Saints all you like , it is still a handy forward pack if they get it right

@GNR4LIFE said in Wests Tigers Team v St George Illawarra:

@bythebeardofzeus said in Wests Tigers Team v St George Illawarra:

You would be wrong. We played them there in 2013 and lost.

Yeah but Bwaith was our halfback…the 1 run for 0m game…

@Geo I’ll never forget. And to hear the guy commenting on matches “they really need to step up” is pure gold.