Memory Test

• Before time erases some of our recollections of past greats I think it might be appropriate to see if any members would share their memories of some of their old favourites . I can kick it off with Dennis Tutty, Kevin Yow Yeh and John Elford.

• @Don_Kershane said in Memory Test:

Before time erases some of our recollections of past greats I think it might be appropriate to see if any members would share their memories of some of their old favourites . I can kick it off with Dennis Tutty, Kevin Yow Yeh and John Elford.

And your memories are?

• Tutty tackling around the ankles , Yow Yeh Gladstone Grab

• This is a little story old Ned Kelly spun about an incident about Neville Hornery which I witnessed all those years ago:-

“One of the best stories is when we were playing Easts one day and the opposition hooker had upset him," Kelly grins.

"I was hooker that day and everything was going along quiet when he let about 10 blows go (in a scrum).
    "TV had just started and he let rip with these uppercuts and nine of them hit me in the bum. "I don’t think he landed one on the other guy, but he was sent off. "From the sideline it would have looked horrendous.
    "The papers got onto it and talkback radio was on about it."We played the French one night and he ironed a couple out. “He was as tough as any player going around.” "I loved Neville but he was as mad as a hatter.

• Joel Reddy

I apologise, I might of started a riot.

• @Madge Knew his Aunty Helen,

• It wasn’t that long ago but I loved this.

• Larry Corowa. Could run like the wind. Hands like feet, but could run!!

Loved the old Elias vs Fenech days.

Steve Roach and Kerry Hemsley. The wild old days.

Mike Marketo - great club man!

• https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/teams/balmain-tigers/summary.html
    https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/teams/western-suburbs-magpies/summary.html

This is a FANtastic site for stats and facts.

For those complaining about Home Ground issues check out how many The Maggies and Tigers had & shared over the years!

Meanwhile, I remember in 1967, I was 10, watching Balmain v Souths at the Old Sydney Sports Ground. At the end of the Game we jumped the fence and I ran towards Dennis Tutty who towered over me. I jumped back in horror when I saw the biggest most swollen black eye ever! I decided there and then, that being a spectator was a noble profession! Sadly we lost.

• @Don_Kershane said in Memory Test:

Tutty tackling around the ankles , Yow Yeh Gladstone Grab

I hear many stories about Yow Yeh

Funniest is this Kevin was obviously still quick when he came back , and he would get into strife occasionally , but knew the cops would never catch him on foot

So Gladstone Police put a request in for a bloke who had some speed …but lots of endurance

• @Tiger_Steve
    Blocker calling the touch judge a ff’n wombat.https://twitter.com/winfield_cup/status/709565473210245120

• People don’t believe some of the stuff that used to go on

Most unnerving was a team we played against ripping us to pieces with the old cans pull tops

Bet a few have some stories from the old days

• @momo_amp_medo said in Memory Test:

This is a little story old Ned Kelly spun about an incident about Neville Hornery which I witnessed all those years ago:-

“One of the best stories is when we were playing Easts one day and the opposition hooker had upset him," Kelly grins.

"I was hooker that day and everything was going along quiet when he let about 10 blows go (in a scrum).
    "TV had just started and he let rip with these uppercuts and nine of them hit me in the bum. "I don’t think he landed one on the other guy, but he was sent off. "From the sideline it would have looked horrendous.
    "The papers got onto it and talkback radio was on about it."We played the French one night and he ironed a couple out. “He was as tough as any player going around.” "I loved Neville but he was as mad as a hatter.

I think that game was televised and Ron Casey must have shown the replay a dozen times on the show and on the news

• @LeichhardtTiger Similar experience -must have been the first game I attended . Saw Balmain centre Bob Ridley break his leg badly at SCG. Noble profession beckoned. I think his centre partner was Jack Danzey-the future ref.

• @NT_Tiger I felt that hit sitting up in the grandstand. I believe JWH congratulated him on the hit in the sheds that night as well.
    Best hit 1908-…

Recent Topics