An Nrl Club To Be Axed?

NRL club to be axed for new Brisbane team
NWWOS
06:29
Cronulla, Manly and the Gold Coast are at risk of being axed from the NRL as the Nine Network pushes for a new Brisbane rugby league team.

The broadcaster’s director of sport Tom Malone wants to axe one existing club to make way for a new club in the Queensland capital by 2023 with the final call to be made as early as December this year.

The newspaper reports that the Sharks, Sea Eagles and the Titans are the sides who are most at risk of the chop.

“That could come from another team being relocated there, or better still another club being discontinued and a new club established in Brisbane,” Malone told the Sunday Mail.

"In a perfect world you’d probably have one or two less teams.

“What clubs should go? I’m not going to get into that one. It’s a hard decision but probably one that needs to be made in the longer term interests of the game.”

Malone says he prefers the option of axing an existing club rather than adding another club because having 17 teams and a bye each week would increase costs without generating any “incremental revenue”.

NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg reportedly met with Queensland Premier Annastasia Palaszczuk on Friday to discuss a new Brisbane team.

Foxtel chief executive Patrick Delany supports a second team in the River City but doesn’t believe in axing an existing club.

“They love their rugby league in Brisbane and it seems a natural fit,” Mr Delany told the Sunday Mail.

"You get that inter-city rivalry which enhances tribalism and that’s ultimately what we want.

“It’s all about generating more fans and bigger TV audiences. I don’t know if you’d get that real tribal traction with rugby league in Perth that you’d get in Brisbane.”

©AAP2019

last edited by Tigerlily

Sounds good to me and love the choice of the beachside Sydney clubs.

It’s all talk …

Since when does Channel Nine get to dictate another businesses expansion plan?

Geography
IMO Three teams in the South of Sydney and Four teams in the West of Sydney is not good for us.

Why doesn’t the NRL look at more Mergers?
Gold Coast and say Ipswich is about the same travel time form Leichhardt to Camptown.
Cronulla and Saints should go back to being the one club.
Or two of Parra, Penrith and the Bulldogs should merge.

If Manly go it would be like the NRL saying we aren’t interested in having a team on the North side of Sydney.

All the talk about one home ground is good but the WestsTigers need to keep getting good crowd numbers at games. We aren’t Easts. If we start playing at half empty home grounds we will die off.

It’s really not necessary…

Qld has 3 teams and only one of em is continuously competitive.

Titans suck. Cowboys are lame and Brisbane is the power house.

A new team is gonna struggle with fans and development… we’ve got enough struggling clubs as it is.

Let’s sort out our backyard first.

Must say this makes me worried. Hopefully, the COE gets going soon and the Balmain/Wests merger + leagues club at Rozelle go through too. Would give us a stronger case to survive if this is being seriously considered.

When does some knob from a TV station tell the NRL what to do? He might only last a year in the job.

@Cultured_Bogan said in An Nrl Club To Be Axed?:

Since when does Channel Nine get to dictate another businesses expansion plan?

Was thinking the same. All for their 2-3 games a week. On a positive note, this would have to be the first time this topic has come up and we weren’t mentioned.

last edited by BalmainJnr

I think the NRL would be hating that we have become financially viable, hence why i think they came down so hard on Pascoe. The CEO the possible things happening with leagues clubs and Balmain and Wests as Birchgrovetiger mentioned only makes us stronger. IMO we have done our bit by the NRL with our merger we have had our pain together and ultimately our success in 05 which is hopefully not a one off.

@Fitzy05 said in An Nrl Club To Be Axed?:

Geography
IMO Three teams in the South of Sydney and Four teams in the West of Sydney is not good for us.

Why doesn’t the NRL look at more Mergers?
Gold Coast and say Ipswich is about the same travel time form Leichhardt to Camptown.
Cronulla and Saints should go back to being the one club.
Or two of Parra, Penrith and the Bulldogs should merge.

If Manly go it would be like the NRL saying we aren’t interested in having a team on the North side of Sydney.

All the talk about one home ground is good but the WestsTigers need to keep getting good crowd numbers at games. We aren’t Easts. If we start playing at half empty home grounds we will die off.

It is the St George Illawarra Dragons which is a merger. The Illawarra part of the club is probably the most productive junior district in the NRL and you want to merge the club again with Cronulla? The Illawarra is rugby league heartland (as is Newcastle) and is very poorly represented. I would have thought the Roosters is the obvious club to go. No juniors which provides the club with a serious advantage over clubs who do have juniors. They can pick the eyes out of other clubs and not have to worry about development. A relocation would even out the competition and force expenditure on juniors as well as giving 9 the second Brisbane team it wants.

Dictating what will happen in 2023 when the current TV deal finishes in 2022. I smell more sensationalism from news.

@The_Doc said in An Nrl Club To Be Axed?:

I think the NRL would be hating that we have become financially viable, hence why i think they came down so hard on Pascoe. The CEO the possible things happening with leagues clubs and Balmain and Wests as Birchgrovetiger mentioned only makes us stronger. IMO we have done our bit by the NRL with our merger we have had our pain together and ultimately our success in 05 which is hopefully not a one off.

They would love us to be successful. Big supporter base that gets large ratings for tv. They don’t want to get rid of us, that just conspiracy rubbish.
Manky and Cronulla are the ones that were correctly named as endangered species.

Why don’t the NRL just get rid of the Titans and create a new Brisbane team?

if I was investing millions into a sporting code I would want to ensure that I got maximum return. I would certainly be making recommendations to ensure I got that.

Given the talk is about either manly, Cronulla or Titans, I can cop that. I personally think both manly and Cronulla should go and we should have a second team in Brisbane and one in Perth.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.