NRL admits three wrong calls cost Parramatta in loss to Broncos

• What a joke!! Everyone bar broncos supporters know that the NRL do everything in their power to make sure the horses are in the 8. So now they just blatantly rip teams off and apologise afterwards.

Jamayne Isaako’s matchwinning field goal should never have been awarded. But that’s not the only howler to have robbed the Eels of two competition points and a shot at a top four finish.

Parramatta were robbed of the chance to finish in the NRL’s top four courtesy of a series of refereeing blunders in Friday night’s heartbreaking golden-point loss to Brisbane.

NRL referees boss Bernard Sutton has confirmed in a private chat with coach Brad Arthur that three crucial calls went against the Eels, including a howler at the death.

Broncos skipper Darius Boyd was not penalised for pushing Clint Gutherson into Matt Lodge as Gutherson tried to charge down Jamayne Isaako’s match-­winning field goal.

On Monday night, Sutton said that was a blunder.

“I’m of the opinion that the Eels should have been awarded a penalty,” Sutton said.

“Darius is entitled to take up the position he initially moves to.

“However, he is not permitted to then adjust his position to obstruct or interfere with Clint Gutherson. Darius is required to hold his ground.”

Although it received little attention from the commentators on the night, there was outrage among the Eels’ faithful that such a crucial and obvious call could be missed when the pocket referee was standing right near the incident.

With the end-of-­season finals just around the corner, it has again exposed how the rules become a lottery in extra-time.

But Graham Annesley, the NRL’s head of football, denied this was the case and claimed players were more conscious of giving away penalties during golden point.

What makes it more concerning is that this is the same situation that the NRL cracked down on in 2016 to stop teams deliberately standing in the way of chasing defenders who are trying to charge down field goals.

Arthur was also apparently told that Brisbane’s David Fifita should have been penalised in the lead-up play when he ran behind teammates ­before making a charge to get his side in position to kick the field goal.

Even though that would have been a tough call against the Broncos, it was an almost identical scenario Mitchell Moses had been pinged for in the 32nd minute.

And in a triple whammy, it is understood Sutton also told Arthur that the forward pass decision which cost Blake Ferguson a try was also wrong.

Annesley confirmed the wrong call on Monday.

“The pass looked OK to me,” he said.

“It’s one of those long, looping passes which often are a bit of an optical illusion but the most important thing is how it comes out of the hands … even though it was a high, looping pass it came out of the hands OK.”

• … when this game gets right is the day that pigs fly

• Well I guess he’s apologised… same as every week… doesn’t change the result and it hasn’t improved the standard of the refereeing either.

• I knew it!!!

@diedpretty said in [NRL admits three wrong calls cost Parramatta in loss to Broncos

Arthur was also apparently told that Brisbane’s David Fifita should have been penalised in the lead-up play when he ran behind teammates ­before making a charge to get his side in position to kick the field goal.

Even though that would have been a tough call against the Broncos, it was an almost identical scenario Mitchell Moses had been pinged for in the 32nd minute.

• ForumSupporter

How did the author whoever it is find out about the ‘private chat’ between Sutton and Arthur…

• So if channel nine will come out and publicly state they want to smash into desolation a Sydney team, imagine what they concoct behind closed doors. Game is massaged to ensure broadcasters get ratings. Nothing is beyond them including deliberate refereeing blunders

• Broncos get free leg up of at least 4 competition points every season.

• @diedpretty said in NRL admits three wrong calls cost Parramatta in loss to Broncos:

What a joke!! Everyone bar broncos supporters know that the NRL do everything in their power to make sure the horses are in the 8. So now they just blatantly rip teams off and apologise afterwards.

Jamayne Isaako’s matchwinning field goal should never have been awarded. But that’s not the only howler to have robbed the Eels of two competition points and a shot at a top four finish.

“Darius is entitled to take up the position he initially moves to.

“However, he is not permitted to then adjust his position to obstruct or interfere with Clint Gutherson. Darius is required to hold his ground.”

Although it received little attention from the commentators on the night, there was outrage among the Eels’ faithful that such a crucial and obvious call could be missed…

What makes it more concerning is that this is the same situation that the NRL cracked down on in 2016 to stop teams deliberately standing in the way of chasing defenders who are trying to charge down field goals.

“The pass looked OK to me,” he said.

I bloody knew it… !! The non decision on a complete block play which was “cracked” down upon just under 3 seasons ago. So people still don’t think these obvious and shocking calls going against just about any team except the broncos that ensure they play finals football for years on end is just raw chance/bad luck…

As one of the teams that regularly finish 9th I just cannot cop this disgraceful lack of accountability within the organisation we all support itself. Fergo TRY was a deadset shocker and could not even believe they made a call live like that - haven’t seen such a bludger in years and if it gets awarded instead then we aren’t having this conversation at all! He was in line when receiving the pass and at no stage did it really ever even float forwards… touchy just couldn’t have been in a good enough position to make a decision there, on that angle, use Hawkeye or something I don’t care.

It’s just absurd that multiple teams have been apologised (pretty poor one’s at that) to at different stages this year and yet somehow nothing has changed in the second last/last??? Rounds of the season in crucial top eight deciding fixtures. Poor mans game!

Start by sacking yourself Annsly

• @TigerSJ said in NRL admits three wrong calls cost Parramatta in loss to Broncos:

Broncos get free leg up of at least 4 competition points every season.

They do but who really cares when it’s slimy Parramatta

Than add weasel crybaby moses to the team and it makes it even better

I don’t like donkeys but any team playing Parramatta has my support

• Yeah and unfortunately, if the Dogs say beat the Broncos…then this blunder will effect either us or the Sharks as well

• Pretty borderline complaints to be honest. Extra time is always a blood bath and nobody should expect high fidelity refereeing because there is just stuff happening everywhere and refs are legitimately too afraid to blow penalties in GP.

Hodgson must have been about 5 m offside when the Raiders charged down one of Townsend’s last FG attempts on Sunday, but refs let that go.

The Eels ones were borderline at best, bit of pushing and shoving or Fifita going behind team-mates.

News flash for Parra, the game was there to be won and if you could actually tackle David Fifita, Isaako would have been taking his shot from 40 metres out rather than 20.

Broncos get an advantage because they are a 1-city team who basically play at home on Friday night every second week, because they consistently pull crowds of 30K and good ratings. But that’s not bias, that’s business reality. The day the Tigers pull 30K weekly and have a stadium full of paying sponsors, then maybe we can get some preferential match allocations.

I still maintain that this Broncos conspiracy is baloney, the team is limping into the finals at best and if the NRL was legit helping them along they wouldn’t be 1 point inside the 8.

Open your eyes people, Broncos have only missed the finals twice in 31 seasons, they don’t need the NRL’s help to play finals footy!

• @jirskyr said in NRL admits three wrong calls cost Parramatta in loss to Broncos:

Pretty borderline complaints to be honest. Extra time is always a blood bath and nobody should expect high fidelity refereeing because there is just stuff happening everywhere and refs are legitimately too afraid to blow penalties in GP.

Hodgson must have been about 5 m offside when the Raiders charged down one of Townsend’s last FG attempts on Sunday, but refs let that go.

The Eels ones were borderline at best, bit of pushing and shoving or Fifita going behind team-mates.

News flash for Parra, the game was there to be won and if you could actually tackle David Fifita, Isaako would have been taking his shot from 40 metres out rather than 20.

Broncos get an advantage because they are a 1-city team who basically play at home on Friday night every second week, because they consistently pull crowds of 30K and good ratings. But that’s not bias, that’s business reality. The day the Tigers pull 30K weekly and have a stadium full of paying sponsors, then maybe we can get some preferential match allocations.

I still maintain that this Broncos conspiracy is baloney, the team is limping into the finals at best and if the NRL was legit helping them along they wouldn’t be 1 point inside the 8.

Open your eyes people, Broncos have only missed the finals twice in 31 seasons, they don’t need the NRL’s help to play finals footy!

Disagree! As @Tiger_Steve says, it is the little 50/50’s that really should be left to players to sort out as they would when completing any other of their one percent plays, that are actually being refereed unfairly - mainly only over the past few seasons - I.E nobody was going to stop Fergo when he went over on the first occasion to score in the corner and so to simply keep the broncos in it (without obviously showing their hands as to the extent of that bias you say doesn’t exist) and give them a momentum shift when they desperately needed it/simply wouldn’t have conjured it themselves they go on and rule it forward with no tip from bunker or pocket ref but solely the touchie who as I previously stated was in a very poor position… even check out the replays… or the … apology

Eels ran all over them all night except for one Broncos player who stood tall… they got dodgy calls to earn them a draw against the Warriors, they were totally and ridiculously awarded a win against us last year that single handedly reversed our respective ladder positions come September and AGAIN saw our poor little club from Concord come 9th.

That is 2-3 clear as daylight examples right there in about 25 fixtures where the Broncs got an underhanded, slight & crucial leg up to allow them to finish over the top of whatever odds they may have been up against. Probably because said other team just couldn’t believe the amount of atrocious calls going against them or threw in the towel.

You can beat a top team, but not the referees, as they say… and also, it’s not like anybody here is saying or maintained that the NRL as a business entity is totally rotten from the core; rather that select few within the organisation are turning a blind eye to this seemingly normal pattern. As you say it does make total sense from a marketing and financial standpoint of the game to have Brisbane there year on end. The point being debated is whether they would instead of regularly “limping into finals” actually miss out altogether without the help of these contentious calls. It’s not like any other team has had more in recent memory (if I’m not mistaken?)

Kinda like how the cows were also a surefire bet for years to miss out on finals glory in spectacular fashion on the back of really, really poor decision making that probably bordered on some kind of officiating stuff-up firsts and yet they managed to fight off the canvas to finally score a premiership win. Not saying it is the be-all-end-all however some teams perennially seem to be on the wrong end of the stick in this regard and it does make things very challenging not just for us supporters but also the boys!

• @jirskyr But the Broncos getting the favourable timeslot due to good business sense is a form of bias.
    The NRL seemingly make a lot of decisions which make good business sense, but can also be seen as demonstrating bias, take for example the Storm, (testimonial match, dinner and gift for Smith, and so on). We are a team who certainly gets no top end of town bias (or for good business sense) and we expect the playing field to be fair.

Broncos have been favoured for years, it would not surprise me one bit if their is a concerted effort of powerbrokwrs within the NRL who are assisting them to do well (including the refs, CEO, judiciary of the NRL). Actually, personally, I think it’s much higher than those chums, and extends to News Limited and Uncle Nick for example. They own Broncos, don’t they have interests in the Storm too?

• Dogs should be a million to one to beat the broncos

• @TheDaBoss …as opposed to horses? Perhaps they should be called the Pegasi, mythical magical flying horses.

Recent Topics