Reality: size, power,mobility needed...

• Great season to get so far with ‘this’ roster IMO.

They had 5 origin forwards today…we had Eisenhuth, Clark, Lawrence…

They had electric, mobile backs…we had Esan and Jennings…with Chee Kam, our constant ‘back up center’ just nowhere near NRL level as a center.

Reality is we need size, power and mobility. You just cannot escape that in the modern NRL.

Matterson was ‘quiet’, but still went for 120 and 36, i.e. very good. You need a team of players at that level, where one bloke does not have to do it every week and ‘quiet’ games are 120 / 36.

Not 50 like Lawry, or Eisenhuth being bent back in every tackle.

Tough decisions need to be made and it really looks like Madge is the man to do it. Not keeping Lawry, leaving out Robbie today = tough decisions. But he makes them.

We have to offload 4 or 5 players, even if it means being very unkind, even unfair (Lawry).

But is has to to be done.

• Maguire knows this but we need to clear the deadwood to make the purchases he wants…the club has been trying but Cleary really exceeded himself in the dud department.

• @willow said in Reality: size, power,mobility needed...:

Maguire knows this but we need to clear the deadwood to make the purchases he wants…the club has been trying but Cleary really exceeded himself in the dud department.

Yes, and we are going to be have to be aggressive in doing it. Cut throat, like the Dogs were.

Tell blokes they will play state cup for a year…make them train alone if need be.

Tell them England is their only choice.

I know this sounds unfair, but we have no choice at this point. We just cannot keep carrying 5-6 non NRL bodies per week.

• Yes I am looking forward to see what our recruitment retention can come up with in the off season.
    And yes … need to be ruthless I’m afraid … we really need to cut some deadwood (and hopefully succeed to move them on).

• @ElleryHanley said in Reality: size, power,mobility needed...:

@willow said in Reality: size, power,mobility needed...:

Maguire knows this but we need to clear the deadwood to make the purchases he wants…the club has been trying but Cleary really exceeded himself in the dud department.

Yes, and we are going to be have to be aggressive in doing it. Cut throat, like the Dogs were.

Tell blokes they will play state cup for a year…make them train alone if need be.

Tell them England is their only choice.

I know this sounds unfair, but we have no choice at this point. We just cannot keep carrying 5-6 non NRL bodies per week.

Agree. Madge and Hartigan will need to be ruthless with cleaning out this roster. No time for being nice guys. I assume they know this though.

• ForumSupporter

Yep its all up to Maguire now another clean up. Id hate to be in his shoes.

• It’s fair to say that Marsters and Jennings were deadwood today, and basically have been all year, let’s not forget who signed Jennings

• Yep, here’s hoping we can find some real glass eaters to play in the front row next year, a fullback that can add a threat and be safe at the back and a few blokes that have some fast twitch fibres in their legs. Same wish as every off season the past few years.

• This post is deleted!

• Our boys let a winger put a shoulder charge on our halfback from a seven tackle restart without so much as a whimper. You don’t let the refs take no action, our boys needed to take there own actions, but instead we watch the guy hi fiving his mates.

• OK, I am totally for the clean-out, but let’s put same names out there…Who should go and who should we retain?
    In my opinion:

Retain (and build on):
    Alex Twal
    Benji Marshall (questionable)
    Corey Thompson
    David Nofoaluma
    Jacob Liddle
    Josh Aloiai
    Luke Brooks
    Luke Garner
    Matt Eisenhuth
    Moses Mbye (questionable)
    Oliver Clark
    Paul Momirovski
    Ryan Matterson
    Thomas Mikaele

Lose (if not costing an arm and a leg due to contracts)

Ben Matulino
    Chris Lawrence
    Chris McQueen
    Dylan Smith
    Elijah Taylor
    Esan Marsters
    Josh Reynolds
    Michael Chee Kam
    Moses Mbye
    Robbie Rochow
    Russell Packer
    Sam McIntyre