Season 2019: Pass or Fail?

@jirskyr said in Season 2019: Pass or Fail?:

@gallagher said in Season 2019: Pass or Fail?:

@jirskyr said in Season 2019: Pass or Fail?:

I can say truthfully that every non-Tigers support I know, not the world’s biggest sample but not insignificant, thinks Tigers have a rubbish roster and over-performed in 2019.

In that respect, I can take my own opinion of pass-mark and give it the credibility that other fans think our roster is ordinary, but the team performed alright.

Especially considering some of the strong rosters that performed very poorly in 2019 - Panthers, Knights, Dragons, Warriors.

How do your mates think the club has performed ?

I just said, over-performed. They thing Tigers are a bottom 4 roster not 9th. They think 9th was a good result compared to the teams near to them like Sharks and Panthers.

Club, not team. How do they think the CLUB is performing over the last few years?

@TonyH said in Season 2019: Pass or Fail?:

Put it this way,

I’d rather be a Tigers fan than a Warriors, Dragons, Knights, Titans, Broncos or Panthers fan. These are teams who have squads assembled to make top 4s and win premierships now but are in turmoil and can’t even make the 8. We at least have answers, we know what needs to be done to improve. They have no idea and need reviews and answers. For that I give us a pass mark.

Our problem as a club is that every time we put ourselves in a position to move forward and do something positive, we undergo drastic change with a new coach and it all turns to a rabble again.

I know the last time wasn’t the club’s fault and Cleary dogged it hard but we need some stability now under Madge. Let him fix Cleary’s mess and hopefully he can do it sooner rather than later because I don’t know how much more this fan base can handle.

We haven’t had any answers for nearly a decade… we have lots of excuses though

I think we need to lock Madge up now and long term. That is the only way our club will have any stability. I’m sick of signing no body’s and retirees that expect a free ticket, big money and no results. WTs need to recruit hard and expect results, anything below top 8 isn’t good enough. There’s no point watching otherwise. If Madge thinks guys like Lawrence arent to standard, then off to the retirement home. Its nothing personal, it’s the cycle of professional athletes. We need to look at how successful clubs operate (besides salary cap rorting) and put players on notice and create a stronger winning culture. 9th place is considered a pass again… please.

@Tcat hit the jackpot my friend.

I think they very publicly said at the start of the season that if they aren’t playing finals footy, they have failed.

So I’m terms of pass fail, they failed in their own right.

There is plenty to take away from the season and positive outlook for the future.

I’d lock it Madge for the future too, assuming he wants too.

@bigsiro said in Season 2019: Pass or Fail?:

The way people are answering this question, it should rather be “2019: Overachieved or Underachieved?”.
I think most would then agree with the current 65% Overachieved. It might even be higher.

But 65% say this season is a PASS?

Ummm No.

A season without finals is FAIL.

Good point…I think overachieved would be closer to 100%…

The thing I like about Maguire not once did he hide behind the not my roster excuse if fact it was the opposite talking about the group as a good bunch…it looked to me they want to play for him despite their limitations…

I also think the injury to Aloiai and Matulino took it’s toll in the end…the emergence of some like Clark and youth in Mikaele was good…they held there own in the first half yesterday but we didn’t have any impact from our bench mainly due to the cupboard was bare to go on with it…

The key to a more successful 2020…is what he can do with the big contracts sitting on the sidelines as many have said…

@gallagher yep. The club has failed but the team passed, given their shortcomings. Not only did we play with a lower cap but with also three of our biggest signings missing 90% of the season. I wonder if Penrith would prefer Cleary or Maguire atm?

@TIGER said in Season 2019: Pass or Fail?:

@hobbo1 said in Season 2019: Pass or Fail?:

Fail

Can’t win half your games is a fail

Exactly!!
It’s that simple

I don’t think it is that simple. It would seem that by many people’s reckoning, if you make the 8 it is a pass. OK. So if the Roosters or Melbourne, with their rosters, finished 8th and were knocked out first week, would that still be a pass? Not to my way of thinking. Similarly, Cronulla, with their incredible roster were only just good enough to make the 8. To me, they have had a worse ‘regular season’ than we have.
I believe you have to take into consideration the team’s roster when assessing whether they have had a Pass/Fail year.
One FAIL I think we can all agree on, however, is the lousy recruitment over the past 2 to 3 years. It has been appalling and that is the true failure.

It actually IS that simple.
That’s how pass and fail work.

The fact that our own fans won’t accept this year as a failure is almost an even sadder failure.
Talk about a losing culture.

The fact we haven’t played semi final football in how many years and that’s considered acceptable or worthy of another excuse. Come on.

@yeti said in Season 2019: Pass or Fail?:

@TIGER said in Season 2019: Pass or Fail?:

@hobbo1 said in Season 2019: Pass or Fail?:

Fail

Can’t win half your games is a fail

Exactly!!
It’s that simple

I don’t think it is that simple. It would seem that by many people’s reckoning, if you make the 8 it is a pass. OK. So if the Roosters or Melbourne, with their rosters, finished 8th and were knocked out first week, would that still be a pass? Not to my way of thinking. Similarly, Cronulla, with their incredible roster were only just good enough to make the 8. To me, they have had a worse ‘regular season’ than we have.
I believe you have to take into consideration the team’s roster when assessing whether they have had a Pass/Fail year.
One FAIL I think we can all agree on, however, is the lousy recruitment over the past 2 to 3 years. It has been appalling and that is the true failure.

Great stuff, as it makes it easy for us to feel we have achieved. Maybe 12th is the spot to aim for and it shouldn’t matter that we never get a shot at going through to the big dance.

A change of style, front house in order, it’s good for the next 3 or 4 years.

@Swordy said in Season 2019: Pass or Fail?:

A change of style, front house in order, it’s good for the next 3 or 4 years.

Fail for Madge choosing Farah instead of Talau when Thompson went down which also meant a well performing off the bench forward started, everyone knows he’s not a starter

this one is hard - yeah we can see the positives but you know - not in the semis is a fail and I am sure their aim is semis as well - again but heading the right direction

Fail ,Pass ,its just an opinion of many on this forum who probably know bugger all…

To me it is a pass because we had big paid players on the sideline for a lot of the year…they made up the core of the roster AT THE BEGINNING OF THE SEASON…
However we also found great talent to bring through next year…Matto,Aloia,Garner,Michaeli,Clark,Talau, for example,whats not to like about the future…so it is a PASS from me…

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.