Season 2019: Pass or Fail?

It’s interesting that after a few days and over 100 votes, it’s still almost 2 out of 3 people saying ‘pass’.

What would we say is ‘Pass’ for next year, or perhaps that’s another thread.

@bigsiro said in Season 2019: Pass or Fail?:

It actually IS that simple.
That’s how pass and fail work.

The fact that our own fans won’t accept this year as a failure is almost an even sadder failure.
Talk about a losing culture.

Not true, passing and failing are all relative, depends on your bell curve.

Roosters would consider not winning the comp as a failure, whereas we would consider finishing 8th as a pass.

If you have one leg, your running aspirations will be different from someone with two.

Tigers are currently a one-legged side!

Fail. We couldn’t win half our games which would have seen us play finals footy. We had everything to play for on the weekend and dropped our bundle. Again.

Granted we were hard hit by injury late in the year but while Madge inherited a roster from a previous coach it was up to him to get them firing as he took the role on. I expect to see players moved on during the off season.

As with previous seasons there were signs that were positive but it just doesn’t cut it anymore.

I’m sure everyone is having a crack, but Madge really needs to cut some deadwood, the million dollar question is what sort of penalty will we wear for that room to live in the cap.

@Tigerdave said in Season 2019: Pass or Fail?:

I feel we need a 3rd option in between pass and fail. Given the cattle at his disposal and hampered by the deadwood holding our cap hostage thanks to an ex-coach, I feel Madge and the team had done pretty well.

Ultimately though, we should have beaten the Storm had we not switched off in the last 10 minutes, beaten the Roosters if the refs did their damn jobs and beaten the Panthers first time around if we had a damn goal kicker.

Then there’s today…why put an injured player in the squad in the first place? They let emotion get in the way of being logical and maybe the players were feeding off that and thinking they were destined to win rather than putting in the hard stuff.

The unfortunate thing for the future is that we’re still hampered due to Cleary who completely screwed us over with 2 props who turned out to be injury prone duds that are taking a large amount of our money. Hopefully some luck can come our way with Matulino getting medically ruled out and that Packer and McQueen can be moved on.

We also can’t have Jennings there, he offers nothing, there’s not even any potential. At least we’ve seen that Esan can play if he wants to (talk about 1 player that’s been a massive disappointment this year).

I’m unfortunately expecting more of the same next year unless we can free up some cap space.

Let’s not forget the diabolical decision to award the Donkeys a late penalty in front of the posts for marker “infringement” (round 1) which was admitted as a mistake by h.q after the game. That wasn’t a mistake, it was highway robbery. You take two off them, and add two to our tally, and we’re there baby!

@rustycage said in Season 2019: Pass or Fail?:

I feel we need a 3rd option in between pass and fail. Given the cattle at his disposal and hampered by the deadwood holding our cap hostage thanks to an ex-coach, I feel Madge and the team had done pretty well.

Ultimately though, we should have beaten the Storm had we not switched off in the last 10 minutes, beaten the Roosters if the refs did their damn jobs and beaten the Panthers first time around if we had a damn goal kicker.

Then there’s today…why put an injured player in the squad in the first place? They let emotion get in the way of being logical and maybe the players were feeding off that and thinking they were destined to win rather than putting in the hard stuff.

The unfortunate thing for the future is that we’re still hampered due to Cleary who completely screwed us over with 2 props who turned out to be injury prone duds that are taking a large amount of our money. Hopefully some luck can come our way with Matulino getting medically ruled out and that Packer and McQueen can be moved on.

We also can’t have Jennings there, he offers nothing, there’s not even any potential. At least we’ve seen that Esan can play if he wants to (talk about 1 player that’s been a massive disappointment this year).

I’m unfortunately expecting more of the same next year unless we can free up some cap space.

Let’s not forget the diabolical decision to award the Donkeys a late penalty in front of the posts for marker “infringement” (round 1) which was admitted as a mistake by h.q after the game. That wasn’t a mistake, it was highway robbery. You take two off them, and add two to our tally, and we’re there baby!

that was last year not this one

@gallagher said in Season 2019: Pass or Fail?:

@jirskyr said in Season 2019: Pass or Fail?:

I can say truthfully that every non-Tigers support I know, not the world’s biggest sample but not insignificant, thinks Tigers have a rubbish roster and over-performed in 2019.

In that respect, I can take my own opinion of pass-mark and give it the credibility that other fans think our roster is ordinary, but the team performed alright.

Especially considering some of the strong rosters that performed very poorly in 2019 - Panthers, Knights, Dragons, Warriors.

How do your mates think the club has performed ?

I just said, over-performed. They thing Tigers are a bottom 4 roster not 9th. They think 9th was a good result compared to the teams near to them like Sharks and Panthers.

Club, not team. How do they think the CLUB is performing over the last few years?

I doubt opposition supporters spend much time thinking about how other clubs are performing off the field. For example, idk how the Dragons are going, and I really don’t give a toss.

last edited by GNR4LIFE

Fail for me. At start of year most pass marks would of been top 8.

And well we should of made the top 8. There were basic fundamental issues in games that cost us.

We also got thrashed in games as well by teams that weren’t performing at the time.

Very up and down season for mind. Same old same old…

@jadtiger said in Season 2019: Pass or Fail?:

@rustycage said in Season 2019: Pass or Fail?:

that was last year not this one

Really? Lol, cred shot. Getting old I guess.

@tig_prmz
Making the 8 would have been a better result but with the new talent blooded this year and all performing well
and a new coach a PASS is a fair assessment especially when deep down we all wanted to finish in front of Ivan and the pamfers mission accomplished PASS PASS PASS
Onward and upward for 2020

@TigerTiger said in Season 2019: Pass or Fail?:

It’s interesting that after a few days and over 100 votes, it’s still almost 2 out of 3 people saying ‘pass’.

What would we say is ‘Pass’ for next year, or perhaps that’s another thread.

I never expected this team would make the 8. If there’s no change to the roster, we will be in the same position next year if not even further out of the eight.
What i find interesting is the times we have finished 9th since 2011 we really haven’t had the cattle or it’s been borderline at best.
The real failure of this club was the time between 2005 and 2010/2011 by not making finals. It was a golden opportunity to really associate our club as a winning brand and somewhere players would want to come to at least have a genuine crack at a premiership, but poor recruitment and retention, front office bungles and a coach who was unwilling to change from the 2005 style of football all contributed to an eventual decline. Now the NRLs Travelling Wilburys are a hard sell to players unless we pay way overs. I think Madge is building it back brick by brick but unfortunately it takes time.

Just say one word - “Roster”

For those saying Madge should have got more out of the players he had.

You can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear"

@GNR4LIFE said in Season 2019: Pass or Fail?:

I can say truthfully that every non-Tigers support I know, not the world’s biggest sample but not insignificant, thinks Tigers have a rubbish roster and over-performed in 2019.

In that respect, I can take my own opinion of pass-mark and give it the credibility that other fans think our roster is ordinary, but the team performed alright.

Especially considering some of the strong rosters that performed very poorly in 2019 - Panthers, Knights, Dragons, Warriors.

I just said, over-performed. They thing Tigers are a bottom 4 roster not 9th. They think 9th was a good result compared to the teams near to them like Sharks and Panthers.

Club, not team. How do they think the CLUB is performing over the last few years?

I doubt opposition supporters spend much time thinking about how other clubs are performing off the field. For example, idk how the Dragons are going, and I really don’t give a toss.

You give a toss enough to answer a question not directed at you.

the general mentality of tigers fans the past 10+ years is have low expectations because you know at the end of the year you’re going to get let down regardless…

That’s a bit unnecessary. I was giving you a legit answer. If you were only looking at getting an answer from Jirksyr, then perhaps you should have pm’d him.

That’s a bit unnecessary. I was giving you a legit answer. If you were only looking at getting an answer from Jirksyr, then perhaps you should have pm’d him.

Well i asked him about his mates opinions. Do you know his mates?

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.