Replacing a fullback with a hooker

• Dumb play by the coach …
    Sheens like …

• they handled their last tackles way better than us

also, the side they targetted the most wasn’t affected through injury

• @CoJo1013 said in Replacing a fullback with a hooker:

Honestly, Josh Reynolds wouldn’t have been bad at Fullback. Or, Nofa could have moved there and Josh could have played on the wing. It may have meant an extra try, or penalty goal.

Welcome to the forum CoJo.

• Don’t honestly think Talau would have made much of a difference.

Consider your options - fullback unexpectedly ruled out in warm-up, you have a 1-game kid and a seasoned injured pro to choose from. It’s lose-lose.

Madge obviously went with experience rather than inexperience. Even if he puts Talau in the side, you still find yourself with Momo or Nofo at fullback and that’s not ideal in a must-win match.

Sharks played dirty and rough and I don’t think Talau makes any particular difference to the result with our first two choice fullbacks out.

Surely everyone saw anyway, once Farah came on, Reynolds went to half and Benji to fullback. So Reynolds not even playing hooker at that point and he is a genuine half.

We didn’t lose because we had 2 hooker-types on the bench, we lost because we didn’t handle a few bad calls against us and let in 3 straight tries. Right edge defence struggled at times and we found it difficult to contain the Sharks’ dodgy little grubbers. But most teams struggle a bit against Xerri.

• Everyone talking about how we only had two forwards on the bench are forgetting that we only had one half on the field with Matto playing at 6, put Matto back in the forwards and Reynolds on the field means we actually had a three forward rotation.

Honestly I think we were just beaten by a better team on the day, sure the Thompson injury and subsequent re-shuffle didn’t help but look at the teams and the big game experience that the Sharks have:
    Dugan
    Morris
    Johnson
    Townsend
    Fifita
    Graham
    Gallen
    Woods

Compare that to our squad, we just didn’t have the players to match them.

• I also think we were beaten by a better team both on paper, and on the day.
    But
    I’m still mystified about Talau… isn’t that WHY he was still a back-up?? Otherwise why even have him there?

I’m sure it was a decision made with too much emotional consideration, and a wrong one - even if it likely had no bearing on the outcome.

Recent Topics