The worrying part for me

• is that to this today, we are still talking about the heroes of 2005 carrying this team forward. Let’s face it, in the last 14 years we haven’t developed a player - in any role - from our junior levels or bought as a junior from another club.
    Sure, we have Luke Brooks - in my opinion a hooker in a half back body - but apart from his D which has improved - can we say the same about what a half back should do? And there is the rest of the stock going to come from?

I just see that another year with some (aging) players may well turn out to be one year too many.

• Well one of those heroes is gone after today. Only one remains, and he had a pretty solid year.

• We do develop players from our junior levels. A whole heap of them, too. It’s just that they all end up leaving and finding more success at other clubs.

• @TigersBusDriver said in The worrying part for me:

We do develop players from our junior levels. A whole heap of them, too. It’s just that they all end up leaving and finding more success at other clubs.

So, the question must be asked… why is that consistently our issue?? It can’t be money, it can’t always be resources or coaching class because we’ve able to sign marquee’s too; they just never seem to perform for years on end - except old mate Gareth !

• Somebody explain Curtis Sironen to me? Father’s shadow that needed to make his own name is the one I personally relate to. Other than that, Fifita was a bad decision (in hindsight) and thus Marty Taupau, a shocker… I don’t want to lament so no need to bring others up just some interesting examples as Martin seemed to find himself here at the club and actually had very reasonable output for his price tag… can only assume that the off-field dramas were such a turn off, his hand was forced

• @Tigerboy said in The worrying part for me:

@TigersBusDriver said in The worrying part for me:

We do develop players from our junior levels. A whole heap of them, too. It’s just that they all end up leaving and finding more success at other clubs.

So, the question must be asked… why is that consistently our issue?? It can’t be money, it can’t always be resources or coaching class because we’ve able to sign marquee’s too; they just never seem to perform for years on end - except old mate Gareth !

Even bigger question is why can’t we attract a top marquee player ?
    I’d say it’s because we’re a proven basket case of a club …
    And please no one say “ Ryan Matterson” says hi !

I’m talking the likes of Lattrel Mitchel or a player like Inglis when he joined Souths …
    Souths were a rabble before Inglis joined them .
    We need to get the house in order and get the ball rolling …
    Pretty much our entire squad is made up of the same caliber of players …
    Plodders and nuffies .

• @hobbo1 said in The worrying part for me:

@Tigerboy said in The worrying part for me:

I’m talking the likes of Lattrel Mitchel or a player like Inglis when he joined Souths …
    Plodders and nuffies .

I think the facilities plays a role here - we get that Centre Of Excellent built with some top shelf facilities and that perception starts to change. The other thing that hurts is the lack of third party sponsorship which gets a lot of players over the line at clubs that may not be able to offer as much cash.

• Simple , the players at the time got sheens sacked , there was no real thought on replacement and ever since then it’s been dud coach after dud coach with no stability , hence why no marquees will join club

• @willow said in The worrying part for me:

@hobbo1 said in The worrying part for me:

Plodders and nuffies .

I think the facilities plays a role here - we get that Centre Of Excellent built with some top shelf facilities and that perception starts to change. The other thing that hurts is the lack of third party sponsorship which gets a lot of players over the line at clubs that may not be able to offer as much cash.

I’ll be dead before your above post comes to fruition lol

Then theres the refs …
    Then there the media …
    Sick of being pond scum …
    I wanna bathe in champagne 🥂

• @Tigerboy said in The worrying part for me:

It’s not consistently an issue. We developed Benji and Robbie and they led us to some good years. We then developed Tedesco, Woods and Moses and these guys are all playing finals footy. That was our second batch.

We have some juniors playing for us now in Mikaele, Aloiai, Nofo and Brooks. These guys are good.

We just need to develop or buy some better players. We were very close.

• @hobbo1 Are we really full of plodders and nuffies. We were pretty good this year.

I think it’s more about getting a couple more players. We have some class players. We just need a couple more.

• @Anon-lurker said in The worrying part for me:

Simple , the players at the time got sheens sacked , there was no real thought on replacement and ever since then it’s been dud coach after dud coach with no stability , hence why no marquees will join club

I think that this has been the issue. We’ve had dud coaches who make poor decisions. I’m not worried about marquee signings. I don’t see Melbourne buying a tonne of marquee players. I don’t think they buy any.

• @Earl said in The worrying part for me:

@hobbo1 Are we really full of plodders and nuffies. We were pretty good this year.

I think it’s more about getting a couple more players. We have some class players. We just need a couple more.

There’s only 5-7 players I would keep

In no particular order

Brooks
    Mbye
    Garner
    Matterson
    Mikaele
    Nofo ( just )
    Aloiai
    Chee Kam ( bench only)

The rest are puss !

• Marshall one more year *

• @Earl said in The worrying part for me:

It’s not consistently an issue. We developed Benji and Robbie and they led us to some good years. We then developed Tedesco, Woods and Moses and these guys are all playing finals footy. That was our second batch.

We have some juniors playing for us now in Mikaele, Aloiai, Nofo and Brooks. These guys are good.

We just need to develop or buy some better players. We were very close.

I did not say why is it a problem in general, I said why is it our problem? Why do our juniors love to leave for other clubs when even the few other clubs that have produced freak talents in recent seasons even if not going well with results have been able to regularly retain them. I grant you the exception of barring Mikaele and Brooks from my point but Nof is a player who very nearly did leave and has had to be patient because he had no where else to go at times… we would forever regret letting him go I’m certain. Woods was our junior yes but not a great player we needed to keep at all costs I feel, although, would’ve been handy on our bench today. Aloiai not our junior and also very nearly left recently until the Great One☝️ stepped in at the 11th hour to ensure he stayed. Benji is hardly a Wests Maggie’s/Balmain (like Farah) NSWRL junior so I can’t really accept that point.

Totally agree we are one Matterson in the backs, a no-nonsense 80 minute backrower (Garner looks to be in this mould), and a real high caliber impact prop to come from the bench during those periods where we slack off in matches either side of half time short. Bradley, Talau and the young hookers coming through truly look to be the goods and we need to ensure that several of them turn out for us. Madge should be able to keep the trend going!

• @hobbo1 we can build from that though. You can’t have a team of superstars and players like Thompson & Eisenhuth can help round out the team.

We clearly need some better players. I just don’t think we are building from a terrible base.

I think our problem is that we don’t have the cap space to get better players but Reynolds, Packer, Matulino, McQueen, Lawrence etc are potentially on their way out and if we get some cap space maybe we can recruit some better players.

Recent Topics