WHAT SHOULD THE NEW CHAIRMAN DO FIRST

• Besides sacking Todd the first priority should be to revamp the draw.The present draw is unacceptable and should be scrapped.Whilst it impossible to play everyone twice I think the draw for the following season should be made once the finishing position of teams 1 - 16 is known and be made as follows.
    Current season runs 26 weeks 24 games 2 byes
    The season starts one week earlier.
    16 team draw is made from the finishing order
    The first 15 rounds are set in stone every one plays each other once
    The remaing nine games are drawn by placing the numbers 1 - 15 in a hat and the first 9 numbers drawn out (in numerical order) making up the second round.
    Starting one week earlier will allow the 3 State of Orgin
    games to played as stand alone fixtures on weekends SOO teams could be selected on Sunday night train for a week play the following Sunday.
    The TV networks get all the games they have at present and probably get more with the playing of the Pacific Cup over the 3 SOO weekends wit the winner playing Australia sometime after the GF also not forgetting the Ladies SOO which could be played on the the stand alone weekends
    The season would then be 27 weeks 24 games no byes just 3 x 1 week stand alone breaks by revamping the draw we get away from the farcical situation of
    teams playing each other twice within the first 3 to 4 weeks of the season.

• Fix this mess of a game up

• Merge the Sharks with Titans. Then - Second Brisbane team.

• scrap TPA’s

• Introduce 2 conference system

• The list is long and extensive on what he should do first

There’s a lot wrong with a game that should be an easy very marketable product.

Refereeing comes to mind as a starter, I fail to see how blatant mistakes can be made with so many cameras. It shouldn’t happen.

The wrestle must go, we had a pretty nice game prior to 2006 and the wrestle has been slowly killing it.

7 tackle sets are very meh

Reduce the interchange.

Introduce Captains Call to again try and reduce ref mistakes that can cost sides games.

Get rid of golden point, just get rid of it entirely. They can’t keep bringing up player fatigue yet keep thinking that golden point is a good idea. It’s only needed during finals games for the regular season.

If they are serious about bringing in other teams, relocation is not going to work. Their best bet is a conference system. Sydney teams play each other twice, out of Sydney play each other twice and as Gus said, big conference Grand Final at the end.

Promote the international game, actually be proactive about it. Players need to pick who they want to play for and stick with it if it’s one of the main countries. If they can also represent a minnow allow that to happen and encourage players to stick with their minnow countries by topping up the pay.

SOO, they really need to focus and stick with the “origin” part.

Player transfers should probably only happen after the season finishes or before it starts. I don’t particularly like it happening once the season has started, don’t think it’s a great look for the game for that to be happening.

3rd party agreements I feel are bad for the game, some teams look so dodgy on paper it’s not funny…looking at you Roosters.

• Turn Annesley’s weekly weekly mea culpa session into a public flogging

• @Elderslie_Tiger You are spot on about the draw. The other night I went through our 2019 draw because I had the view we had played top sides more than lower sides. All I did was to score the draw based on where our opponents finished in 2019. It’s not a perfect method but no method is. I was surprised at the results. The team with the toughest draw this year was the Warriors, followed by the Bulldogs and Tigers. The teams with the softest draws were Souths, followed by Storm and Newcastle. As I said the analysis isn’t perfect but showed how the draw can skew the ladder. For example Souths played top 8 sides 10 times and bottom 8 sides 14 times. The Warriors played top 8 sides 14 times and bottom 8 sides only 10 times. For the record Wests played top 8 sides 13 times and bottom 8 sides 11 times.
    I’m sure different seasons would produce different results but when you miss the top 8 by one point the draw can play a huge role. Somehow there needs to be more equity brought into it.

• First expansion. It does my head in that female AFL , cricket and soccer all have a bigger national footprints than the 2nd largest football code.

• @coivtny said in WHAT SHOULD THE NEW CHAIRMAN DO FIRST:

@Elderslie_Tiger You are spot on about the draw. The other night I went through our 2019 draw because I had the view we had played top sides more than lower sides. All I did was to score the draw based on where our opponents finished in 2019. It’s not a perfect method but no method is. I was surprised at the results. The team with the toughest draw this year was the Warriors, followed by the Bulldogs and Tigers. The teams with the softest draws were Souths, followed by Storm and Newcastle. As I said the analysis isn’t perfect but showed how the draw can skew the ladder. For example Souths played top 8 sides 10 times and bottom 8 sides 14 times. The Warriors played top 8 sides 14 times and bottom 8 sides only 10 times. For the record Wests played top 8 sides 13 times and bottom 8 sides 11 times.
    I’m sure different seasons would produce different results but when you miss the top 8 by one point the draw can play a huge role. Somehow there needs to be more equity brought into it.

There are a few ways to make the draw fairer and revert back to home and away :

1. Reduce the number of teams to 14. This allows you to play each side twice on home and away over 26 weeks. This would mean merging a couple of Sydney teams and the only way expansion could be achieved would be through relocation of a couple of Sydney teams. As a pure business model this would be the way to go. Stronger rosters as same number of players spread over fewer teams. Greater allocation of dollars to clubs from NRL which could mean an increase in salary cap which keeps players happy. TV happy because there is still 26 rounds.

2. Conference system of 9 Sydney teams and 9 Outer teams. Each conference plays home and away against teams in their conference and one game against each team in other conference. That would be 25 rounds. Solves the expansion problem as 2 out of Sydney teams would have to be added. Fans happy as no mergers or relocation. TV happy as still 25 rounds. Maybe less money allocated to clubs due to increase in numbers. Quality of rosters may suffer as players spread across more teams.

3. Maintaining 16 teams and either playing everyone twice in home and away. That’s 30 rounds and no way will that happen. Or play each team once over 15 rounds - ain’t going to happen either. Neither of these really work either because of too many games or too few games. Also the current system as pointed out is totally unfair and is just a lottery from year to year. You also have the same problem increasing the number of teams to 18 and not using a conference system. You cant play a genuine home and away system and playing each other once only allows for 17 rounds.

If I was running the game I would go with option 1.

• @diedpretty Good post. I agree option 3 won’t fly because it makes the season either too long or too short. Option 1 is a goer but I’m loathe to cut sides from the comp. As an old Magpie supporter I’ve seen my team thrown out and then merging and I know how traumatic all that was and wouldn’t wish it on other supporters. I favour option 2 which would give you a grand final that was a little like the NFL’s superbowl. Of course the other possibility if you want to maintain the status quo is to try a little harder to even out the draw by taking a more scientific approach to its construction. I’m not sure how much science goes into it now.

• Some suggestion for new man at the top as far as on and off the field issues.

One thing that really bugs me is that with all this technology we have re. the refereeing we still have a situation where the bunker can not rule on forward pass and/or alert the referee when a wrong on field decision occurs.

I also think that one referee with sideline officials to signal the referee when defenders are offside and then he plays advantage and just restarts the count from next play. Teams are just continually standing offside.

There is too much emphasis on tries scored from up and under kicks inside the attack 2m. so that lottery needs a fix.

Stripping rule is just crap.

Interchange to 3 max.

TPAs limit need strict policing as currently it’s a joke particularly when you read the reported figures.

The cap should be divided into defined sections at fixed pricing for players and their deemed salaries allocated and listed for all to see.

• @momo_amp_medo said in WHAT SHOULD THE NEW CHAIRMAN DO FIRST:

Some suggestion for new man at the top as far as on and off the field issues.

One thing that really bugs me is that with all this technology we have re. the refereeing we still have a situation where the bunker can not rule on forward pass and/or alert the referee when a wrong on field decision occurs.

I also think that one referee with sideline officials to signal the referee when defenders are offside and then he plays advantage and just restarts the count from next play. Teams are just continually standing offside.

There is too much emphasis on tries scored from up and under kicks inside the attack 2m. so that lottery needs a fix.

Stripping rule is just crap.

Interchange to 3 max.

TPAs limit need strict policing as currently it’s a joke particularly when you read the reported figures.

The cap should be divided into defined sections at fixed pricing for players and their deemed salaries allocated and listed for all to see.

I don’t mind the stripping rule but the refs can’t be giving blokes 5 or 6 seconds to do it. Nofo should have been called held the other day. Give them 2 secs then called held.

• Give the team who finished 9th an extra 4 million in their salary cap

• Pick out new furniture for his office, hang his fav pictures, order lunch, sack Todd Greenberg, Investigate the Roosters salary cap, reinvestigate the Cronulla salary cap that was sorted on the eve of the finals they happened to win, put in his stationary order and finally place an order for his new car.

That should keep him busy for the first few days.

Recent Topics