Confirmed: Matterson released from Wests Tigers.

• @GNR4LIFE He does deserve to be on more than 350k a year, I’ll give him that. However, for the club to be able to achieve a deal like that is outstanding. And yet, we find that a player (1 year into his 3 year contract) can just all of a sudden say he deserves more as he wishes? If he thinks he deserves more he shouldn’t have signed the contract. Simple as that. You don’t see players like Packer asking for less than 750k mid-way into his long-term contract because he’s out of form. There’s no way he would do that. So why should the club - who has him locked up for 2 more years at a price beneficial to them - feel inclined to upgrade him?

• @Spud_Murphy you raised and inflated his value before we have won any real game yet, thus he is putting his hands out wanting more. If he is that good, has he won any game for us on his own ? Is he a game changer, that is by his action influenced or dictate a game? We have others, honest, hard working and really performed above their weight or size, yet humbled and beyond expectations. These toilers are the real hero, like Corey or Alex. We have already put them up there after a year as the best before we have won anything, how will this great club of us ever progress? What happen when they get injured and did not perform, will they refund or reduce their packet? I will put my faith in Madge, as commander, he will decide each player’s value. We already spoilt a good player by putting his head in the clouds, the budget will never ever be enough.

• @TigersBusDriver because they want to keep him…

• @tigerap Then keep him. Use the funds we gain in our cap from offloading players, not to upgrade the squad in positions that we are lacking in, but rather to upgrade an existing player’s contract because he’s not happy with the pay packet he AGREED to not even 12 months ago. While we’re at it, Marsters wants an upgrade too. Give it to him!

• @GNR4LIFE said in Matterson unhappy at Tigers?:

@TigersBusDriver said in Matterson unhappy at Tigers?:

Screen Shot 2019-09-13 at 9.34.09 am.png

Looks like Matterson and his manager are predicting our cap space being freed up with the offloading of Matulino, Packer, etc and trying to get some extra cash. My guess is he won’t be leaving and will see an upgrade in his contract. Not sure how I feel about that tbh

I know how I feel. Give him the money. He deserves it. Would be nice if he extended his contract another one or two years as well.

Looks like this is the end of the panic felt by so many Wests Tigers supporters. Maguire should sit down with Matterson and quietly discuss the issues. An extension , captaincy and increase in salary would be well deserved and provide much better outcomes than that fool Cleary provided in his CAP dealings when he was coach.

• @TigersBusDriver Marsters is a much, much different kettle of fish to Matterson. He is lazy and disinterested on the field. If Marsters wants an up grade it has to be deserved. If he wants an upgrade he can leave today.

• @jirskyr said in Matterson unhappy at Tigers?:

@ElleryHanley said in Matterson unhappy at Tigers?:

Great point mate…and for all those saying “Matterson signed for 350, bad luck”…it does NOT WORK LIKE THAT.
    He came here as a piece…told he will play behind two kiwi book ends…told he will be one of a leadership group of 6.
    A year on and he is THE MAN doing it all each week. 150 a week, ball playing, 70 mins plus…He is doing tons of off the field stuff also.
    Any club with a brain would be proactive and have called him in and said “here is a 4 year deal for 600, tear that 350 up, you deserve the it for all the work he have asked you to do”. Let’s make you captain.
    Press conference = star player signs on for four years. Positive off season. Get Matto to help recruiting now for 2010.
    But not us…

No no no no no.

It does work like that. He was paid to come over and play first-grade football every week. There are no other guarantees and that is his job description.

You don’t get to sign a football contract and then start demanding certain outcomes - “oh I only play in the middle behind Kiwi forwards” or “if I do more than 600 tackles this year I expect overtime pay”.

You come, you perform and then maybe the club offers you more money as they realise your value. If you undervalue yourself and sign up, bad luck, and give your manager an uppercut whilst you are at it.

Or, if he wants guarantees, so be it, lets draw up a new contract where he only gets paid for wins. Or only gets paid if he makes over 150 m in a match. Then he can have matching guarantees about what type of role he’ll have at the club, unchanged despite injuries or changes of fortune/form.

You see any players signing contracts like that?

Mate, Lattrell Mitchell wants an upgrade. Ponga does also. So does every rep level player on a poor deal.

The Storm upgrade all theirs who make rep teams.

The bottom line is you do it AND extend them.

Matto has two years left at 350.

Give him four at 600 and we both win.

This is what successful clubs do.

Release him and show the rest of the NRL players we won’t do it / won’t reward a great season = we may as well give up. No one decent will come.

If you want to finish 15th, good luck.

• lol all speculation but if the tables were turned and he was on 500K but wasn’t giving us the value, would he be willing to take a paycut?

• @tig_prmz said in Matterson unhappy at Tigers?:

lol all speculation but if the tables were turned and he was on 500K but wasn’t giving us the value, would he be willing to take a paycut?

The supporters would demand it.

• For reference…the Storm have Ryan Pap on 175.

Does anyone think they are sitting there saying ‘mate, you signed and have 18 months to go on that deal. Bad luck’

No, they are working on upgrading and extending him right now.

This is what the strong clubs do.

• @GNR4LIFE said in Matterson unhappy at Tigers?:

@tig_prmz said in Matterson unhappy at Tigers?:

lol all speculation but if the tables were turned and he was on 500K but wasn’t giving us the value, would he be willing to take a paycut?

The supporters would demand it.

And be told to shove it up their jaxie.

• Again my memory fails me , didn’t Matterson leave with one year left on his contract at the Roosters

Wouldn’t that explain the rather low figure of 350 k if true from the WT’s

• on the plus side, if he leaves, it will free up 350k that they can use to upgrade McQueen.

• This post is deleted!

• @tigerbalm said in Matterson unhappy at Tigers?:

on the plus side, if he leaves, it will free up 350k that they can use to upgrade McQueen.

And promoted to captain!

Recent Topics