Confirmed: Matterson released from Wests Tigers.

@Tiger_Steve said in Confirmed: Matterson released from Wests Tigers.:

@willow said in Confirmed: Matterson released from Wests Tigers.:

@Tiger_Steve said in Confirmed: Matterson released from Wests Tigers.:

@hammertime said in Confirmed: Matterson released from Wests Tigers.:

@willow said in Confirmed: Matterson released from Wests Tigers.:

All I’ll say is that this situation has turned out far better than I had anticipated, far far better…

Come on willow… Please tell!

Willow seems to enjoy threatening to ban people and having knowledge others crave. I don’t know but if I was to guess a personality type…😜

Now now Steve, I band people when it is warranted. And I won’t divulge info early that could potentially get this forum into trouble. Just be patient…Maguire has got what he wanted thus far and won’t make the same mistake Ivan did with trying to sign players willy nilly over their pay grade.

All in jest Willow. I appreciate the way this forum is managed. Makes it a decent place to visit.

Yes I’ll be patient. Is it Frizell?😜

Well Willow hasn’t replied saying it’s not Frizell so maybe it’s him? Yeah it probably is. Hey everyone we’ve signed Frizell!! Fact! (I should go to work)

@Cultured_Bogan said in Confirmed: Matterson released from Wests Tigers.:

@THE_POM said in Confirmed: Matterson released from Wests Tigers.:

Matterson release is purely business, players didn’t want him there & we didn’t want to pay a dollar more for him. If a deal was done prior to today it would of been, but he was always going to be released before the new NRL financial year started. We no longer contribute any $$ towards Matterson.
In relation to Lomax appears Dragons have put their foot down for 2020…but don’t rule out 2021.

Can understand that if he was on the nose with the playing group why the club would release him. If the guy is a pariah it’s an untenable situation. Rather surprised that the others turned on him, usually they’d not take it personally and understand it’s part of the game now.

There’s other reasons players went off him & the way he carried on didn’t go down well. Bridges burnt.

Matterson release is purely business, players didn’t want him there & we didn’t want to pay a dollar more for him. If a deal was done prior to today it would of been, but he was always going to be released before the new NRL financial year started. We no longer contribute any $$ towards Matterson.
In relation to Lomax appears Dragons have put their foot down for 2020…but don’t rule out 2021.

Can understand that if he was on the nose with the playing group why the club would release him. If the guy is a pariah it’s an untenable situation. Rather surprised that the others turned on him, usually they’d not take it personally and understand it’s part of the game now.

There’s other reasons players went off him & the way he carried on didn’t go down well. Bridges burnt.

Oh OK, catching what you’re kicking now. A bit of a chameleon huh?

last edited by Cultured_Bogan

Sadly it is part of the game now, but I think it was the way he and his manager went about it that put people offside. I reckon the team would’ve already had a gutful of that sort of behaviour from players not wanting to be there after the so called big 3 soap opera. They want to play with guys who have some team loyalty and want to be there, not mercenaries who are just chasing the dollar all the time.

@THE_POM “It’s coming”. That just gave me confidence and touched my heart for some reason.

@Madge said in Confirmed: Matterson released from Wests Tigers.:

@THE_POM “It’s coming”. That just gave me confidence and touched my heart for some reason.

I’m hoping it’s more like ‘they’re’ coming, rather than ‘it’s’ coming. Gonna take more than just one good player to turn us around. Shame about Lomax, he would’ve come in very handy for next season.

In light of a few comments by people who have more info than i do the release of matterson makes more sense,when a coach loses the dressing room he is essentially finished, if a player loses his team mates it is even more dire and no trust or respect from his peers would make him a pariah in the group.A cancer had to be removed and has been

now all that is left

is for the players to aboslutely WRECK him, when we verse the club he signs with

@jadtiger
Thank God he’s gone can we now consign this thread to the garbage bin and get onto to more important things

@TYGA said in Confirmed: Matterson released from Wests Tigers.:

Releasing Matterson in conjunction with the medical retirement of Matulino is the smart play in hindsight even though most of us would prefer a hard line approach it makes sense from a cap and player morale standpoint.

We could go hard line, but Tigers obviously see the writing on the wall - you are going to be paying this idiot to do nothing, and whilst it’s great to say that on principle, and it makes fans feel good, fans aren’t footing the bill or managing business money flow.

We already have enough money down the toilet as it is, without pouring Matto’s down there as well.

This is something that needs to be addressed on a game-wide level, not just for Tigers to play hardball.

Considering it’s the offseason and V’Landys has just come on as Chair, I think this is something the NRL is going to be looking at during the next few months on a game-wide level.

Very glad he’s gone and that from today we’re not paying him.

Thanks Pom!

I know forcing him to stay would probably have ended up badly considering the info about players going off him, but frustrating that the Dragons are able to dig their heels in with Lomax yet we crumble all the time.

I read in an article that a deal had been struck which suggested salary cap relief in exchange for releasing Matterson. Clubs may be sensitive to the public release of their business dealings. Keeping this confidential will only benefit the club in the long run as we gain a reputation for professionalism.

I read that we will head to the open market with 1.5M for 2020 and by 2021 we will have about 5M.

I think we can build a very decent team and could be Title Contenders from as soon as 2021

We still have ET, McQueen and Reynolds who it would be great to get rid of because there price is no where near their value.

Packer and Mbye are probably overpaid, but I believe we can get something out of these guys.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.