Confirmed: Matterson released from Wests Tigers.

• @BalmainJnr said in Matterson unhappy at Tigers?:

If this is really about money I wonder how much of a fan of American sports he and his manager are? It’s right out of the American sports play book for a player to dispute the value of their deal (with years left on the contract) relative to how their contract is positioned when compared to other players around them in a public manner to try and leverage the employer for more money. As a few have mentioned perhaps this is an opportunity to step up and say you want more money? Fine, but it comes with an extension and some money tied into performance incentives like actually making the finals.

Look this wouldn’t be about money- this is all about not getting into the finals👎

• @Mighty_Tiger Money breeds contempt, he deserves an upgrade but where do you draw the line, he was on much less at the Roosters and would have languished there this year if we hadn’t thrown him a lifeline. The Tigers have raised his profile 10-fold which saw him earmarked for SOO level.
    Player Managers need to be scrutinised and regulated more heavily by the NRL. That’s where the seeds are planted!
    Matterson’s Manager should not be given a slice of the cake if Matterson’s contract is upgraded otherwise it sets a precedence for constant provocation. The comparison is being made to what Packer is earning - so how much will be enough? No doubt his Manager has been feeding this frenzy with rival clubs. Why should the Manager be entitled to extra commission on a contract that has not run its course.

• @tigeress said in Matterson unhappy at Tigers?:

@BalmainJnr said in Matterson unhappy at Tigers?:

If this is really about money I wonder how much of a fan of American sports he and his manager are? It’s right out of the American sports play book for a player to dispute the value of their deal (with years left on the contract) relative to how their contract is positioned when compared to other players around them in a public manner to try and leverage the employer for more money. As a few have mentioned perhaps this is an opportunity to step up and say you want more money? Fine, but it comes with an extension and some money tied into performance incentives like actually making the finals.

Look this wouldn’t be about money- this is all about not getting into the finals👎

Like a Tedesco situation? I hope not

Matterson knew the sort of club we were before he joined us, the fact we should be in the finals given we lost 2 or 3 games we should have won, suggests we improved as a club…if he can’t see that then POQ.

• @Furious1 said in Matterson unhappy at Tigers?:

@Snake said in Matterson unhappy at Tigers?:

@4jtigers Does anyone know if the failed politician has engaged with or spoken in relation to anything Weststigers ? The previous chair was always engaging the supporter base in discussion and in the media , championing the involvement of females in our club to name a few ect . Free flights / food/ drink / privilege /best seats in the house , come on Bazza it would be nice to see or hear from you ! Actually it would be great if the CEO would do the same … time to engage the supporter base , a mute club is a bad sign ! 20 years down the track and nothing’s been learnt …

Yes, Pascoe has certainly been very quiet since returning. Member engagement has been nearly non - existant

What has happened to Justin Pascoe, I too have noticed he has been very quiet- problems in the camp again- I hope not, just as I am deciding if I want to renew my membership this thing with Matterson pops up- I’m very unhappy at the moment☹

• At some point wests have to stop being a halfway house for players looking for the better club.

I hope Matterson is that point and this gets worked out.

• @Tiger-Tragic said in Matterson unhappy at Tigers?:

Couldn’t agree more. Just because he has a profile (albeit, a damaged one with his departure from politics) doesn’t make O’Farrell a good leader. On the other hand, Marina Go has a history of building successful entities through developing the leadership capacities of herself and others.

Say what you will about Marina, but O’Farrell was a State Premier. I don’t understand how anyone can just swipe this to the side. Marina’s projects are chicken feed compared to O’Farrell having to run for and maintain office (20 consecutive years), climb the party ranks to leader (leader for 7 years), then win elections (largest swing against an incumbent government since WWII) and manage State budgets. He wasn’t even defeated at an election, he was done on a bottle of wine.

People think that pollies must be idiots and just swing into office based on a smile and kissing babies. They may not be your “type” of person, but the long-serving ones are smart operators, not just connected, but knowing how to navigate the world of fragile egos and agenda, which is the NRL +++.

I’m not even saying this as a Barry O’Farrell fan - I’m a Labor voter typically and I don’t care if the bloke is chairman or not. Just people who dismiss State Premiers like they know nothing, same thing happens with Peter Beattie.

O’Farrell is President of Diabetes Australia and also CEO of Racing Australia. If he was a complete moron he wouldn’t have these posts and we would not have hired him.

• @willow said in Matterson unhappy at Tigers?:

Eels circling as Tigers star Matterson falls out with Maguire
    By Adrian Proszenko

September 12, 2019 — 5.15pm

Parramatta may be the beneficiaries of a fallout between Wests Tigers star Ryan Matterson and coach Michael Maguire that could result in him leaving Concord.

Just days after suffering a heartbreaking loss that cost them a finals spot, the Tigers are now facing the prospect of losing arguably their best player. Matterson is unsettled at the Tigers and has told those close to him he wants out. The star forward, who was 18th man for NSW for the final State of Origin game, has been at odds with Maguire and is aware he could earn more elsewhere.
    Maguire and Matterson have met in a bid to resolve their issues, but he could be the man to make way at a club that has struggled to offload several other out-of-favour players.

Parramatta are one of several clubs aware of the dramas and could make a play if the 24-year-old becomes available. Ironically, Matterson was released from the Eels while still under contract after failing to make his mark on the club. At one point, he was dropped all the way down to the Ron Massey Cup after falling foul of coach Brad Arthur. However, he proved himself a player of promise during his stint at the Roosters and has further stepped up his game at the Tigers.
    Parramatta are also close to securing the signature of Reagan Campbell-Gillard. The Eels are one of the few clubs still with money to spend and are in the process of recruiting or retaining their priority targets. The long-running saga that has been Michael Jennings’ contract extension is over, with the veteran centre agreeing to a two-year deal. The club had initially only offered a one-year extension but the parties have agreed to keep the former NSW and Australian three-quarter until the end of 2021.

Parramatta have been on the lookout for a back-rower and a front-rower and have all but secured the latter target with Campbell-Gillard. Now that the Panthers’ season is over, the parties are expected to thrash out the final details of his switch to the blue and golds. Penrith have had to subsidise the deal after he only recently signed a back-ended five-year contract extension to remain at the foot of the mountains.

Matterson hasn’t yet asked for a release but the club may be prepared to let him go given they have had no joy shifting Josh Reynolds, Chris McQueen, Russell Packer and Ben Matulino. Esan Marsters has also been given permission to speak to rivals, although it remains to be seen whether he will seek a release.

Canterbury are another club with money to spend and could consider Matterson. The Bulldogs have missed out on recruitment targets Apisai Koroisau, Jesse Ramien, Herman Ese’ese and Jennings and are desperate to land a blow in the transfer market.

Jennings said he was relieved to sort out his future.

“Two more years, I think they’re just drawing up the contracts,” Jennings said.

“It’s good, I wanted to stay. I’m happy now, the club is settled here, my little bub is growing and the new training facilities [at Kellyville] will be just five minutes down the road.

“It’s perfect, everything is good and I’m happy.”

The Eels are also in the market for a back-up hooker to promising youngster Reed Mahoney after Kaysa Pritchard retired earlier this season. The club is also planning for the following year and will be in the mix for David Fifita’s services if the Brisbane young gun doesn’t recommit before November 1.

The Eels take on the Broncos on Sunday at Bankwest Stadium, which has been sold out for the game, it was announced on Thursday.

Fifita proved the difference between the teams when they played just a fortnight ago, with a barnstorming run in extra time setting the platform for the game-winning field goal.

Eels halfback Mitchell Moses is expecting to be targeted by Fifita in the anticipated rematch.

“He’s been in outstanding form and is probably one of the form back-rowers in the comp at the moment,” Moses said.

“It’s scary to think he’s only 19. He’s been outstanding for them and we will definitely have to watch him this week.

“When you defend out there as a halfback, you’re going to have those big back-rowers coming at you. We’ve got to do a good job on them and it will take a whole team effort this week to get the win.”

Oh yes we give one of our best players away with little or no fight- whilst the other overpaid non-playing members of our team stay- I know we will not be able to keep Matterson if he doesn’t want to stay, but I would like to know the real reason why ? All our best players leave, go to other clubs and prosper, so there MUST be something wrong with our club, what is it?☹ ☹

• @ElleryHanley said in Matterson unhappy at Tigers?:

Great point mate…and for all those saying “Matterson signed for 350, bad luck”…it does NOT WORK LIKE THAT.
    He came here as a piece…told he will play behind two kiwi book ends…told he will be one of a leadership group of 6.
    A year on and he is THE MAN doing it all each week. 150 a week, ball playing, 70 mins plus…He is doing tons of off the field stuff also.
    Any club with a brain would be proactive and have called him in and said “here is a 4 year deal for 600, tear that 350 up, you deserve the it for all the work he have asked you to do”. Let’s make you captain.
    Press conference = star player signs on for four years. Positive off season. Get Matto to help recruiting now for 2010.
    But not us…

No no no no no.

It does work like that. He was paid to come over and play first-grade football every week. There are no other guarantees and that is his job description.

You don’t get to sign a football contract and then start demanding certain outcomes - “oh I only play in the middle behind Kiwi forwards” or “if I do more than 600 tackles this year I expect overtime pay”.

You come, you perform and then maybe the club offers you more money as they realise your value. If you undervalue yourself and sign up, bad luck, and give your manager an uppercut whilst you are at it.

Or, if he wants guarantees, so be it, lets draw up a new contract where he only gets paid for wins. Or only gets paid if he makes over 150 m in a match. Then he can have matching guarantees about what type of role he’ll have at the club, unchanged despite injuries or changes of fortune/form.

You see any players signing contracts like that?

• Screen Shot 2019-09-13 at 9.34.09 am.png

Looks like Matterson and his manager are predicting our cap space being freed up with the offloading of Matulino, Packer, etc and trying to get some extra cash. My guess is he won’t be leaving and will see an upgrade in his contract. Not sure how I feel about that tbh

@willow said in Matterson unhappy at Tigers?:

Eels circling as Tigers star Matterson falls out with Maguire
    By Adrian Proszenko

September 12, 2019 — 5.15pm

Parramatta may be the beneficiaries of a fallout between Wests Tigers star Ryan Matterson and coach Michael Maguire that could result in him leaving Concord.

Just days after suffering a heartbreaking loss that cost them a finals spot, the Tigers are now facing the prospect of losing arguably their best player. Matterson is unsettled at the Tigers and has told those close to him he wants out. The star forward, who was 18th man for NSW for the final State of Origin game, has been at odds with Maguire and is aware he could earn more elsewhere.
    Maguire and Matterson have met in a bid to resolve their issues, but he could be the man to make way at a club that has struggled to offload several other out-of-favour players.

Parramatta are one of several clubs aware of the dramas and could make a play if the 24-year-old becomes available. Ironically, Matterson was released from the Eels while still under contract after failing to make his mark on the club. At one point, he was dropped all the way down to the Ron Massey Cup after falling foul of coach Brad Arthur. However, he proved himself a player of promise during his stint at the Roosters and has further stepped up his game at the Tigers.
    Parramatta are also close to securing the signature of Reagan Campbell-Gillard. The Eels are one of the few clubs still with money to spend and are in the process of recruiting or retaining their priority targets. The long-running saga that has been Michael Jennings’ contract extension is over, with the veteran centre agreeing to a two-year deal. The club had initially only offered a one-year extension but the parties have agreed to keep the former NSW and Australian three-quarter until the end of 2021.

Parramatta have been on the lookout for a back-rower and a front-rower and have all but secured the latter target with Campbell-Gillard. Now that the Panthers’ season is over, the parties are expected to thrash out the final details of his switch to the blue and golds. Penrith have had to subsidise the deal after he only recently signed a back-ended five-year contract extension to remain at the foot of the mountains.

Matterson hasn’t yet asked for a release but the club may be prepared to let him go given they have had no joy shifting Josh Reynolds, Chris McQueen, Russell Packer and Ben Matulino. Esan Marsters has also been given permission to speak to rivals, although it remains to be seen whether he will seek a release.

Canterbury are another club with money to spend and could consider Matterson. The Bulldogs have missed out on recruitment targets Apisai Koroisau, Jesse Ramien, Herman Ese’ese and Jennings and are desperate to land a blow in the transfer market.

Jennings said he was relieved to sort out his future.

“Two more years, I think they’re just drawing up the contracts,” Jennings said.

“It’s good, I wanted to stay. I’m happy now, the club is settled here, my little bub is growing and the new training facilities [at Kellyville] will be just five minutes down the road.

“It’s perfect, everything is good and I’m happy.”

The Eels are also in the market for a back-up hooker to promising youngster Reed Mahoney after Kaysa Pritchard retired earlier this season. The club is also planning for the following year and will be in the mix for David Fifita’s services if the Brisbane young gun doesn’t recommit before November 1.

The Eels take on the Broncos on Sunday at Bankwest Stadium, which has been sold out for the game, it was announced on Thursday.

Fifita proved the difference between the teams when they played just a fortnight ago, with a barnstorming run in extra time setting the platform for the game-winning field goal.

Eels halfback Mitchell Moses is expecting to be targeted by Fifita in the anticipated rematch.

“He’s been in outstanding form and is probably one of the form back-rowers in the comp at the moment,” Moses said.

“It’s scary to think he’s only 19. He’s been outstanding for them and we will definitely have to watch him this week.

“When you defend out there as a halfback, you’re going to have those big back-rowers coming at you. We’ve got to do a good job on them and it will take a whole team effort this week to get the win.”

Oh yes we give one of our best players away with little or no fight- whilst the other overpaid non-playing members of our team stay- I know we will not be able to keep Matterson if he doesn’t want to stay, but I would like to know the real reason why ? All our best players leave, go to other clubs and prosper, so there MUST be something wrong with our club, what is it?☹ ☹

Story is gaining momentum by the minute, he’s gone people 😔

• slow news day… this article is just dribble…

• @tigerap said in Matterson unhappy at Tigers?:

@tigeress said in Matterson unhappy at Tigers?:

Matterson knew the sort of club we were before he joined us, the fact we should be in the finals given we lost 2 or 3 games we should have won, suggests we improved as a club…if he can’t see that then POQ.

This bloke is better than us…yes he did know what this club was like before he joined us but we had just acquired a new (better?) coach, and things we on the up.
    We didn’t win many (any!) matches against top teams this season, so actually we are not better than previous season at all, and we do not seem to win the matches that matter☹ ☹

• @TigersBusDriver said in Matterson unhappy at Tigers?:

Screen Shot 2019-09-13 at 9.34.09 am.png

Looks like Matterson and his manager are predicting our cap space being freed up with the offloading of Matulino, Packer, etc and trying to get some extra cash. My guess is he won’t be leaving and will see an upgrade in his contract. Not sure how I feel about that tbh

I know how I feel. Give him the money. He deserves it. Would be nice if he extended his contract another one or two years as well.

• @TigersBusDriver said in Matterson unhappy at Tigers?:

Screen Shot 2019-09-13 at 9.34.09 am.png

He may also be concerned from the point of view of adding better players and taking our step into the 8. Hopefully madge has alleviated some concern. Gezz we’ll be in a much better position if we can offload Matts, packer and jrey at full freight.

Recent Topics