Any ideas for a good holiday destination in Australia?

• Just wondering if anyone knows of a good place to visit for a short holiday around mid October? Somewhere fairly warm preferably, beach, river or bush outlook and also somewhere accessible by car from Newcastle.

About a month ago I planned a road trip to the Sunshine Coast for October and booked a great cottage to stay in at Weyba Downs, near Peregian Beach. Well I couldn’t have picked that better if I tried! Never been to these places, never even heard of them, now they are all over the news thanks to a couple of idiot children setting the place alight last week!

I still have the booking, but as you can imagine I am a bit worried about heading up that way straight into a whole bunch of bush fires, so I’m looking for alternatives at this stage. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

Really disappointing, as I was looking forward to the Sunshine Coast trip, I haven’t been there since the 1980s!

• I go to Sails Resort at Port Macquarie all the time for work. Great spot and an easy drive from Newcastle

• anywhere is Jervis Bay, or any beach at Batemans Bay, go there every year in the summer!

well worth it!

• Hawks Nest or Blueys beach mate. Johnny Howard used to be a regular at hawks nest.

• If you’re looking at sun and beach, South coast is still a bit cold possibly in mid Oct. Port Macquarie was a good suggestion from Tiger Steve as is Hawks Nest and Blueys.
    Huge shame about Peregian - it’s great up there. Sunshine Coast has other spots worth looking at - maybe head up there anyway and just change venues a little.

• The Observatory Port Macquarie … https://www.mantratheobservatory.com.au/

Luxury Escapes have still some good deals going with ocean view studio, one and two bedroom apartments.

Also Check out Groupon and Scoupon sites for short break holiday deals.

Can recommend Clarion Forest Retreat … off the beaten track cottages near Foster. Shoal Bay Mantra resort is also good so check them out.

• Woolgoolga (the locals call it Woopi) is a fantastic coastal village about 10/15 mins north of Coffs Harbour.

• Forster, Port Macquarie, Old Bar, 1770

• Don’t cancel . Lots of variety up there.You never feel stuck in one place. Largely free of Cronulla and Parra supporters.

• I love Port Macquarie. Good beaches, river, restaurants, a couple of great craft breweries. What more could you need?

If you head up that way I’d also recommend a visit to trial bay, it’s pretty quiet but a top spot to relax and swim and check out the old gaol.

• @Don_Kershane said in Any ideas for a good holiday destination in Australia?:

Don’t cancel . Lots of variety up there.You never feel stuck in one place. Largely free of Cronulla and Parra supporters.

Believe me I don’t want to cancel, but I might not have a choice. If the places up there remain under threat of bushfire or even have all the smoke/ash remnants of the previous one floating around, I don’t think it would be very pleasant. It’s hard to know what it’s really like not actually being there and just hearing the media reports, but I guess the good thing is there hasn’t been anything about it on the news for many days now. No news is good news as they say 😊

• Thanks for all your suggestions guys and girls, some really nice places there. I am a fan of Port Macquarie also, but I was hoping for a warmer place to go to and somewhere a litter farther away, that’s why I looked at the Sunshine Coast. Since my holiday is only in October, Port, Hawks Nest and the places mentioned down south wouldn’t be any warmer than it is here. I’m a bit over the extended winter lol.

• Mollymook, Port Mac, Diamond Beach would be my suggestions if you’re looking coastal.

• @Cultured_Bogan said in Any ideas for a good holiday destination in Australia?:

Mollymook, Port Mac, Diamond Beach would be my suggestions if you’re looking coastal.

Thanks mate. I’m open to country town suggestions also, was even looking at Lightning Ridge at one stage, but I’m just not sure I could spend over a week just looking at mining stuff and art galleries lol.

• @Spud_Murphy If your preferred location has bush surroundings I would be more worried about mid/north coast re bush fires -super dry everywhere.

Recent Topics