Thread closed?

• Why is it that everytime the subject of religion pops up e.g the Falou thread, it gets closed?

The very reason why religion is the way it is is because we don’t talk about it.
    Everything should be up for discussion, nothing is taboo if we want to progress and understand each other.
    I understand there’s other places to discuss these topics but who gets to decide what topics get discussed here? And who should?

Delete posts and ban people for breaking the rules but why shut down discussion?

Ideas should stand on their own merit, bad ideas get shut down, organically by the group so let the people decide who’s ideas have merit by discussing them, we get nowhere when big brother steps in and shuts the discussion down.

• Probably because of certain posters who think of themselves as the SME on theology and dismiss counter opinions as irrelevant or ignorant? Rarely seen at other times but as soon as religion pops up you can bet your house on them chiming in…

• Because it often gets personal very quickly.

• @TIGER As you probably understand there is little point discussing religion on a forum like this. On one side you will have people trying to use logic and facts for their arguments while on the other you have people with faith in whichever god or gods they have been indoctrinated into believing.
    You’re wasting your time.

• Its because you cant argue/debate/discus religion on a forum like this. One side is rational, logical and use common sense, the other side is religious.

• Seriously though, if one wasn’t of religious belief and still has faith in something ; i.e Wests Tigers then aren’t we really all in the same boat? I don’t see why it becomes a knock on character

• @Yossarian I assume you’re referring to me without wanting to name me.

That’s fine.

I don’t think of myself as any authority, but i definitely like to respond when people make bigoted statements borne out of what seems to be a mixture of hatred and ignorance (i am using ignorance as an adjective, not an insult), about something i hold dear.

But really, so what if i defend my faith? Why is it ok for others to make condescending and disgusting statements, but not ok for me to respond to those statements?

Look at the posts above mine in this very thread. No one argues based on objective truth or with any civility, just insults and snide remarks from all the angry atheists.

If i come across like i am being condescending its definitely not on purpose. That’s just the way it comes across when i type out a response i suppose. Maybe something i can work on and get better at.

Ps. I find it funny that you singled me out for your response, but not the countless others who made the nasty unprompted statements i responded to. No bias from your part, of course.

• @Abraham said in Thread closed?:

@Yossarian I assume you’re referring to me without wanting to name me.

That’s fine.

I don’t think of myself as any authority, but i definitely like to respond when people make bigoted statements borne out of what seems to be a mixture of hatred and ignorance (i am using ignorance as an adjective, not an insult), about something i hold dear.

But really, so what if i defend my faith? Why is it ok for others to make condescending and disgusting statements, but not ok for me to respond to those statements?

Look at the posts above mine in this very thread. No one argues based on objective truth or with any civility, just insults and snide remarks from all the angry atheists.

If i come across like i am being condescending its definitely not on purpose. That’s just the way it comes across when i type out a response i suppose. Maybe something i can work on and get better at.

Ps. I find it funny that you singled me out for your response, but not the countless others who made the nasty unprompted statements i responded to. No bias from your part, of course.

My response wasn’t civil

• My dearly departed old man said you never talk politics or religion because it ends in tears.

Personally I am a non believer but I have a brother in law who is a minister and fantastic person doing great work in his community. So I think you don’t knock anyone who has a different view on the subject

• Maybe the issue lies with opinion as opposed to faith. If you don’t believe in a god, then that’s your opinion, and having a different opinion is fine, opinions change anyway. But if you believe in a god, you have faith, and faith is absolute, and unquestionable, and demands that it is the one true faith and that those that don’t have it should.

To those who don’t believe, faith is just another opinion, and shouldn’t stand above others. I can’t comment from the perspective of one with faith.

• because it gets out of hand very quickly…

this thread will possibly get closed as well…

• @TheDaBoss said in Thread closed?:

because it gets out of hand very quickly…

this thread will possibly get closed as well…

Possibly? lol

• Probably because those who don’t believe in a God belittle those who do by basically stating they’re idiots.
    Those who believe are marked as rational, logical and full of good old common sense.
    What does that infer they consider the ones who do?
    The one thing these people can’t do, however, is totally disprove the idea.
    Each to their own.
    As long as people are respectful of each each others views without denigrating them there shouldn’t be a problem.

• I’m sure if you started a philosophical religious thread it wouldn’t be closed

Well for the short term anyway

• This post is deleted!

Recent Topics