Tiger troubles with player safety

@Mccarry said in Tiger troubles with player safety:

I have a couple of sources in the club. All year their feedback was most consistent on these two points

“The tigers are training the house down”

“The players seem to respect Madge”

So, Madge works them super hard and isn’t their mate.

I have zero doubt Madge is a tough task master. I have zero doubt some players won’t like that. In fact some won’t have the bodies to cope with it (like Inglis)

But. Every tigers fan out there KNOWS the Tigers need to toughen up.

Somehow we became a soft bellied club. The opposite of our dual roots.

I know we have a tough three years coming under Madge. Culture change takes years.

It will separate the men from the boys. One little boy has had a tantrum and thrown his toys out of the cot already after only one season, let’s see if any others do as well. The ones that hang in there will reap the reward big time and hopefully be stronger, fitter and more capable players in the long run because that’s what this club so desperately needs.

@momo_amp_medo said in Tiger troubles with player safety:

@ElleryHanley said in Tiger troubles with player safety:

That story has four direct claims…

1. A group of players unhappy.

2. A young player hurt at training.

3. A player hurt during wrestling.

4. Senior players went to the union to complain.

Inference about the injuries= Both injuries not dealt with properly.

The club can simply release a statement saying all four things are not true.

Pascoe? Barry? Moses? Where are they.

Would take 5 mins to deny it all, if it is not true.

It’s like playground bully waiting for you to throw the first punch … better left alone.

Well, not really mate. The reality is that our ‘brand’ is being undermined left, right and center the past few weeks.

Strong leaders would proactively counter that perception.

It is important we do so IMO if we want to recruit some elite level players.

@Spud_Murphy said in Tiger troubles with player safety:

I have a couple of sources in the club. All year their feedback was most consistent on these two points

I have zero doubt Madge is a tough task master. I have zero doubt some players won’t like that. In fact some won’t have the bodies to cope with it (like Inglis)

I know we have a tough three years coming under Madge. Culture change takes years.

It will separate the men from the boys. One little boy has had a tantrum and thrown his toys out of the cot already after only one season, let’s see if any others do as well. The ones that hang in there will reap the reward big time and hopefully be stronger, fitter and more capable players in the long run because that’s what this club so desperately needs.

But it is not “one”. If that report is true, and it claims to have had it verified, then a group of senior players all went to the union about the issue.

We can’t just say Matterson is having a sook. To be fair to Matterson also, he clearly put in every week.

Either a group of senior players did go to the union, or they did not. The club should clarify that as it clearly undermines the coach.

If we make the Grand Final this isn’t a story. What a ridiculous article.
They are professional sportsman earning 4x what the average wage is and doing what they love!

@Glenn5150 said in Tiger troubles with player safety:

@tig_prmz Why does the Club have to comment at all? The club doesnt have to comment on every brainfart a journo has or on every aspect of the day to day runnings of the club. Set your sail and go…that is how the club should be running and by these accounts it seems they are.

It matters to you and me but in the week leading up to a GF, the internal day to day of a club that didnt even make the semis is completely irrelevant. Im not expecting the club to respond and IMO that is the right thing to do.

That said, it would be good to see a positive comment from a player or two. If it is true that Garner & Twal have re-signed, that is a positive endorsement.

Benji’s near 35 year old body seems to have no drama with Madge’s coaching methods and he has praised him more than once for getting him playing again to the level he performed at this season - a true competitor! Perhaps some of his much younger, precious teammates should follow his example and suck it up! They will become better players out of it if they do.

Would take 5 mins to deny it all, if it is not true.

It could also make the situation worse. Sometimes it’s better to just ignore it.

All the players names are known to be on the put at the club Packer, Matulino, Reynolds and Matterson who’s angling for cash. Moses did exactly the same thing the sooner Madge gets rid of the under performing overpaid players that signed for a Cleary Holiday the better we will be.
Melbourne gets lauded for smashing players and hard training we are somehow a risk to safety.
Low article given it’s obvious the game
Plan of the managers leaking the information.

Generally where there’s smoke theres fire…grubs mum told me weeks ago the players are filthty about training up till the GF…and Maguires hard nosed attitude…I was constantly hammered on here regarding ivan Cleary…didnt think he was much of a coach…thoughts about Maguire are pretty much the same, yes he won a comp at souths, but gilligan could have coached that team…I then saw him stuff that side

@Spacecub said in Tiger troubles with player safety:

Generally where there’s smoke theres fire…grubs mum told me weeks ago the players are filthty about training up till the GF.…and Maguires hard nosed attitude…

Good…thats the whole point!!!

last edited by Glenn5150

Generally where there’s smoke theres fire…grubs mum told me weeks ago the players are filthty about training up till the GF…and Maguires hard nosed attitude…I was constantly hammered on here regarding ivan Cleary…didnt think he was much of a coach…thoughts about Maguire are pretty much the same, yes he won a comp at souths, but gilligan could have coached that team…I then saw him stuff that side

I’m getting a bit sick and tired hearing about us training till gf day. It’s not an uncommon thing. Get over it.

last edited by GNR4LIFE

Reading the Manly forum… they went straight back to training after being knocked out of the finals… time for this group to stop crying and get on with it.

@GNR4LIFE said in Tiger troubles with player safety:

I’m getting a bit sick and tired hearing about us training till gf day. It’s not an uncommon thing. Get over it.

Agreed, Im sure Sheens used to do it as well.

SMH at some of the “supporters” in here suggesting Madge needs to change or “didnt learn from his days at Souffs”. Thank god we finally have a proper coach at the club who will not let soft players dictate terms. Hopefully the club understands this and backs him to the hilt. I back Madge over a group of soft players who havent made the semis. What Madge did this year with the group of players he had at his disposal is the best coaching performance we have had since 2011.

@GNR4LIFE said in Tiger troubles with player safety:

Gotta laugh at some of you blokes, you had your heads in the sand with ivan Cleary…now Maguire

@jirskyr said in Tiger troubles with player safety:

Yes, but even having success was not enough for them to put up with Madge’s ways long term. It is a legit issue, Madge did not see it back then either. The hope was he had changed a bit with time.

You speak as if it is fact, which it is not, it is rumour only.

You don’t know why Madge left Souths, nobody here can claim to know for sure. Therefore you can’t use the why as an argument now.

Haven’t heard a single Tigers player speak about over-training or over-work, only Matto, who by equal rumour is a dog coward looking for more money.

So Weedler reports that it’s not just about money, it’s about player safety and workload. And that’s the same spin that first came out when the news broke about Matto, then the papers started reporting “no it’s definitely about money” and the over-training thing was shelved, but now it’s about over-training again.

In fact the senior players, says Weedler, were dubious about training on after Rd 25. I wouldn’t be surprised, lazy bastards. Oh and there have been disagreements apparently, with 3 other players, the same 3 players most supporters would be happy to see the back of due to their high contracts and low output.

Weedler is a toxic sycophant, I don’t take anything he says seriously and neither should you.

Don’t know? Madge was fired mate… he did not ‘leave’.

He had no idea it was coming. Why? Because the players led the revolt. Think about it logically.

Did not see it coming…fired abruptly…ask yourself why.

If the players led the revolt Seibold was the captain, for obvious reasons, and did not see it coming, it was mooted weeks before Madge left that Seibold was white anting him for the top job.

last edited by PrattenParkMagpie

@Spud_Murphy said in Tiger troubles with player safety:

But it is not “one”. If that report is true, and it claims to have had it verified, then a group of senior players all went to the union about the issue.

We can’t just say Matterson is having a sook. To be fair to Matterson also, he clearly put in every week.

Either a group of senior players did go to the union, or they did not. The club should clarify that as it clearly undermines the coach.

I find it strange that Danny didn’t name these group of senior players in his article…ah no I don’t…

If it’s true why not name them…?

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.