NRL Top 8 2020 - What are the changes from 2019? + Roster Assessments
Kazoo Kid last edited by
What teams will drop in or out of the top 8 next year (2020)? Try to make arguments as to why you think that team will go in/out. Of course, player transfers could invalidate your claim in a few months time, but it’s something to do.
OUT - Cronulla Sharks. They reportedly have salary cap issues, meaning they could lose a decent player like Dugan or Morris, which only weakens their roster. They already lost quite a few good players like Brailey, Feki and Flanagan. I think Gallen’s retirement will be underrated, and though his numbers were down in 2019, what he brought off the field was invaluable. For that reason I see them going out.
IN - Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs. They’ve strengthened their forward pack while releasing some duds from their roster. I’m tipping Kieran Foran to have a mostly injury free year and really lead them around the park. The big issue is the development of Jeremy Marshall-King. He looked good in the second half of 2019, but still had a few bad errors in his game. If they can get the dummy half position working, they will be a good team in 2020.
That’s it. It’s sad to think that we’re 11 months from 2020 finals and there is probably only 1 or 2 teams moving in/out of the eight. Hopefully there will be some big player movements in the off season to shake things up.
- Roosters, Storm, Raiders, Rabbitohs, Eels and Manly - there aren’t any big roster changes (with exception of Ma’u for Parra) which would suggest any reason for them to go backwards.
- Brisbane Broncos - their forward pack is far too good to pass them up staying in the top 8. I think they will sort their halfback and Darius Boyd issues over the off season. The only thing that will mess them up is off field dramas. E.g. David Fifita gets banned for something stupid like taking cocaine.
- Wests Tigers - not enough change in roster to suggest there will be improvement. The only way they go up is if they get a number of known quantities to suddenly become different (and better) players.
- Penrith Panthers - these guys have had way too much of a roster overhaul to have any cohesion going into 2020. Not only that, they let probably 500+ games of experience walk out the door. I don’t see them making the top 8.
- Newcastle Knights - these guys have a great roster, but there seems to be a problem with the culture in Newcastle. You can probably make a call on these guys after 4 or 5 rounds.
- Titans, Cowboys, Dragons and Warriors are going to continue to suck, mostly due to the idiocy of their coaches.
TheDaBoss last edited by
TIgers… stay 2nd half of the season to finish 3rd round 25…