Should our "big 5" offer to take pay cuts?

• @Furious1 Yep, agree. If we were stupid enough to offer some of these deals, it’s our fault and we have to manage that. Let’s hope we are smarter next time, but if history means anything it’s hard to be optimistic.

• @Roar_Power said in Should our "big 5" offer to take pay cuts?:

@WeHaveCheeKam Would you take, say, a $250k pay cut?

I’d owe the boss money if I took a $250K pay cut.

• @Tcat said in Should our "big 5" offer to take pay cuts?:

@Furious1 Yep, agree. If we were stupid enough to offer some of these deals, it’s our fault and we have to manage that. Let’s hope we are smarter next time, but if history means anything it’s hard to be optimistic.

Yep spot on about being dumb enough to offer such deals. Poor cap management. I’m a bit more optimistic about the next time round. Hartigan having come from the rooster setup should hopefully help in not overpaying.

• They should but they won’t,
    I wouldn’t so why should they.

• They should fire up, have one massive year and then demand a release if we won’t pay them more.

• @Elderslie_Tiger
    People forget how desperate we were. We just had 3 of the big 4 walk after our entire team was geared around them. Reynolds was still a decent 5/8, solid defender and former blue. Do people remember we had next to no one signed when Cleary and co took over?

Everyone says punt Reynolds, fair enough. But we are saying this with Marshall rejoining our squad. Reynolds was the right call at the time and he just had way too many injuries. We could have made a long shot call for Maloney or Cronk, but we had Reynolds name on the contract.

It’s the Mbye signing that mystifies me.

• @happy_tiger Bingo~!

Now for all those talking pay cuts. Who is going to extend Reynolds contract to get him to sign the pay cut?
    How about Packer? Give him an extra year, 5 at 500k instead of 4 at 600K? Anyone?

People like Lawrence will take a paycut. They will do this because they are club men and because they want to play out their time here. They also like playing with their friends, Packer now only has Mats.

So we can offer them out at 100k. Have Cronulla or the Storm buy them cheaply and go to the grand final. Do we like subsidizing their final’s trophies?

Or we could do a swap? No one is going to swap rocks for diamonds. We could possibly swap Packer for James Graham, but it would be a negative cash flow to us. Or we could offload Mattherson with Packer or McQueen! Get them off our books.

Truth is we have made an Omlette. We have signed their contracts, we cannot easily unsign them. Mistakes are easily made but expensively corrected.

• @crazycat said in Should our "big 5" offer to take pay cuts?:

@Elderslie_Tiger
    People forget how desperate we were. We just had 3 of the big 4 walk after our entire team was geared around them. Reynolds was still a decent 5/8, solid defender and former blue. Do people remember we had next to no one signed when Cleary and co took over?

Everyone says punt Reynolds, fair enough. But we are saying this with Marshall rejoining our squad. Reynolds was the right call at the time and he just had way too many injuries. We could have made a long shot call for Maloney or Cronk, but we had Reynolds name on the contract.

Whoa!!! Common sense overload. This isn’t computing. I need a lie down to try to absorb this wild gear man.

• I’ve seen some pointless threads in my time. This is one of them.

• @crazycat Totally. Mbye wasnt an effective use of salary cap at all.

@Elderslie_Tiger

What about the fact that’s he’s captain. Can’t even hold down one spot. Came here as the answer at fullback Fails there. Goes into the centres and has zero effect. Now there’s talk he’s going to play hooker. Look around the NRL and work out if there are any other captains like that.

@Elderslie_Tiger

I see what you mean, but I new at the exact second we signed him that we had paid massive overs. He is a solid player, but never close to that coin.

Recent Topics