Great article re Roosters Salary Cap

• A few Paragraphs from Malcolm Knox SMH today-Worth reading it all.

You get the picture of all the ways a player can benefit without touching the salary cap. If someone associated with the Roosters, say, cough Nick Politis, says to a player, say cough Cooper Cronk, “I’ll make sure you’re looked after when your career is over, I’ve got mates who can help you with your MBA, whatever you want to do with your life, you’ll be taken care of”, that’s not a breach of the salary cap rules. In fact, under the education exemption, they can pay for three years at Harvard, if that’s what a player wants.

Or if someone says, “I’ve got a mate who’s a big fan of yours who would love you at our club”, old mate can give the player and his family unlimited benefits for the rest of their lives. All the player has to do is trust the person who is insinuating the offer in the first place. Cough.

• Administrators

So in other words, they are cheating

• Too Very true. Genuine teams who stick to the rules are losers.

• @Kul said in Great article re Roosters Salary Cap:

So in other words, they are cheating

I’d rather say that they’re making liberal and excessive use of the ‘óther payments’ excluded from the salary cap reg’s to make a mockery of the intend of the salary cap. Hence the Roosters employed a former salary cap auditor to get their payments right.

Its a joke- but even when you look at the other payments such as TPA’s apparently Roosters have only a few. Cough, cough, cough… The NRL will never really investigate and work with the ATO to expose commercial arrangements.

• A bit more

If you put the salary cap material on the NRL’s website through Google translate, it spells S-H-A-M. The cap’s main function, according to the NRL, is: “It assists in ‘spreading the playing talent’ so that a few better resourced clubs cannot simply out-bid other clubs for all of the best players.” Um, and how is that going for you?

• Again
    Isn’t the strength of a sport built on leaders setting new standards – therefore establishing inequality – which stimulates the opposition to do better?

To all those claims, the answer is yes. But it leaves the NRL talking out of both sides of its mouth, policing an ineffective salary cap with worthy aims but a credibility gap, while also celebrating the triumph of inequality. As a paternalistic pat on the head for all those fans of clubs who are not involved in the finals, the NRL says: “Someone has to come last and someone has to win, regardless of what they spend.” Suck it up, buttercup.

• A while back they published 3rd party payments and the rorters were at the bottom end. I think they were well below us.

You can believe two things:-

1. They are an exceptionally well managed club and do everything right and therefore players really want to stay there and money is not an issue to these guys.
      2.They are cheating.

Personally as someone who has been working for a bit over 20 years in big business (one of the big 4 banks) I think it’s pretty clear that it’s option 2.

• It’s really not rocket science. You don’t get the Roosters roster under today’s salary cap. Look at it compared to most other teams. Players aren’t there solely for the love of the club. You get a finite number of years to make money being a rugby league player and I don’t care what anyone says, most play for the cash. Now if you are lucky enough to have several years on a good salary, maybe you can take a pay cut to win a premiership but that is the minority. Plain and simple, the shenanigans going on over in Roosterville gives them leverage that the rest can’t compete with…and the NRL turns a blind eye. They are the crooks.

• Shoosh @Earl: you might know a secret or two about the Roosters that you shouldn’t tell because then we would all know, and then the Rorters wouldn’t be able to Rort any more, and that wouldn’t be any good would it? 🤣

• @Don_Kershane said in Great article re Roosters Salary Cap:

A few Paragraphs from Malcolm Knox SMH today-Worth reading it all.

You get the picture of all the ways a player can benefit without touching the salary cap. If someone associated with the Roosters, say, cough Nick Politis, says to a player, say cough Cooper Cronk, “I’ll make sure you’re looked after when your career is over, I’ve got mates who can help you with your MBA, whatever you want to do with your life, you’ll be taken care of”, that’s not a breach of the salary cap rules. In fact, under the education exemption, they can pay for three years at Harvard, if that’s what a player wants.

Or if someone says, “I’ve got a mate who’s a big fan of yours who would love you at our club”, old mate can give the player and his family unlimited benefits for the rest of their lives. All the player has to do is trust the person who is insinuating the offer in the first place. Cough.

Wow

Thanks for sharing that’s the best article I’ve ever read.
    https://amp.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/if-the-cap-fits-roosters-accumulation-of-talent-the-elephant-in-the-nrl-20191004-p52xnd.html?__twitter_impression=true

• 💯 percent how it is and 💯 percent what is happening.

They literally have the best players in each position.

• I get a sense that the general NRL public is just waking up to Politis and his cronies and they will be exposed for what they are; cheats!! Go Raiders!!

• All I can say is that I hope for some honesty and examination of things once Vlandys has taken over and settled in to the Chair role of the ARLC.

• Where are the benefits offered to our players by our corporate high flying supporters? We could have offered post career opportunities to play Dorothy the Dinosaur or Captain Feathersword for a long time after our players NRL careers were finished.

• I cannot wait until someone comes and they are caught cheating because it is cheating…
    I have been saying this for years now but the NRL salary cap should be only the salary cap and if they want to include TPA they need to be capped also. NRL stated the reason for the salary cap is because they wanted a fair competition… Clearly not working due to these So called TPA that the big clubs just keep using… I also believe the players need to be paid by the NRL Direct and not the clubs to assist with keeping this under control.

Recent Topics