Super League Grand Final 2019

Admittedly this was the first Super League game I’ve watched this year.

Have to say I was struck by a few things I observed:

• 1 Referee who was confidently making decisions based on what was in front of him, and
  • Bugger all wrestling.

Combined the speed and flow of the game was good to watch.

last edited by BalmainJnr

Definitely. Reckon many more of us here would be watching and/or attending many more games if a similar spectacle was provided here. Instead, since 2006, we have allowed a rather robotic product to develop. One which is relying on the influx of Polynesian players and especially the unpolished vibrance of the Fijians of late, whilst it’s grassroots junior game withers away.

@formerguest said in Super League Grand Final 2019:

Definitely. Reckon many more of us here would be watching and/or attending many more games if a similar spectacle was provided here.

I made a similar point a week or so ago after watching a replay of the Saints v WT semi final from 2005 that one of our colleagues kindly posted. It was the first time I have watched a game from that season and I was struck by how fast it was and how much more ball movement that we see today.

It’s obvious that rugby league was a much more entertaining game in those days compared to the dull, choreographed stuff served up to day. I realised as I watched why I watch so little NRL these days - today’s product is simply boring in comparison.

Part of the reason I’m walking away

The wrestling has killed the NRL sadly.

I watched the GF closely and you could see in almost every tackle guys use wrestling moves to ‘pin’ players on their backs for 3 seconds / release. Exactly as taught in wrestling.

Slow the game down…

Kick for the corners…

Minmise mistakes…(i.e. don’t take risks)

All that makes for a solid game plan…but it kills the spectacle.

I have said for ages that Melb Storm are the worst thing to happen to Rugby League. An all time great team, yet barely get anyone other than their core 15000 to games / low TV ratings / absolutely boring footy.

The code has no grown at all down there, one single local in their team after 20 years.

And now everyone is copying them. We have a comp of wrestling, kicking for corners and not taking risks.

The Super League is still footy in its purest form.

@ElleryHanley said in Super League Grand Final 2019:

Melb Storm are the worst thing to happen to Rugby League

I get it and for many reasons, though I put it mainly at the feet of Bellamy and the league’s administration in 2006 and those subsequent that allowed the crap to proliferate to this day. Next in line is their scum captain, who also dragged the game down, despite his undoubted abilities.

@formerguest said in Super League Grand Final 2019:

@ElleryHanley said in Super League Grand Final 2019:

Melb Storm are the worst thing to happen to Rugby League

I get it and for many reasons, though I put it mainly at the feet of Bellamy and the league’s administration in 2006 and those subsequent that allowed the crap to proliferate to this day. Next in line is their scum captain, who also dragged the game down, despite his undoubted abilities.

powerbrokers wanted melbourne to win plain and simple, then the rules got bent to the point where they had to make up new ones to stop smith and co from basically injuring the rest of the league to win…now I do believe that the storm are their own grubby beast…

In Australia NRL has too many referees including video referees. TV replays only slow the game as does the silly wrestling. NRL said that steeling the ball rule was put in to make the game more interesting - were they kidding?

Just on the game itself I think St Helens would do reasonably well in the NRL. Their line speed is light years ahead of any other team in SL. They have a few handy players that I would be happy to see in our side. Salford were on the back foot the moment they dropped that ball in the first set of 6 in the game. They never recovered from that until the final 10 minutes of the first half and then ran out of steam in the 2nd half from the amount of defense they had to do.

@Newtown said in Super League Grand Final 2019:

In Australia NRL has too many referees including video referees. TV replays only slow the game as does the silly wrestling. NRL said that steeling the ball rule was put in to make the game more interesting - were they kidding?

The problem with the NRL is you have morons who wanted to Americanise the game with 2 referees and video reviews while at the same time tampering with rules that had been in place for yonks and then allowing wrestling tactics to creep in. The game is a mess. There is no freeflowing football anymore. Super League has no were near the athleticism of NRL but it is far more enjoyable to watch.

There’s plenty from the “old game” that I prefer. I’ve said before on here that I firmly believe the 10m rule is another thing that detracts from the spectacle. The constant drive to make the game faster and more open only serves to force players to slow the game down wherever possible. It’s brought on wrestling, grappling, holding players up, 3 and 4 defenders in a tackle, slow scrums and more. I’m sure there would be less injuries too.given so much contact would be from a lesser wind up. But that’s of no consequence to the powers that be. So long as they appear to be moving with the times, having more tries, bigger scorelines and be seen to be technologically advanced to make perfect an imperfect game they’re happy.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Go to https://weststigersforum.com/reset to reset your password, otherwise send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.