Zane Musgrove

Ex-NRL club players ‘scared’ woman in pub
Hannah Higgins
Australian Associated PressOCTOBER 14, 20195:15PM

A 23-year-old woman who says she was indecently assaulted by two rugby league players at a Sydney pub has been asked in court to watch CCTV footage of the incident and identify her dance moves.

Former South Sydney NRL prop Zane Musgrove, 23, and former Penrith reserve-grade player Liam Coleman, 23, have pleaded not guilty to aggravated indecent assault in company and indecent assault. The pair were charged after the woman, who cannot be named for legal reasons, told police Musgrove had pulled her close and repeatedly kissed her aggressively at the Coogee Bay Hotel in November 2018. The woman says Musgrove grabbed her breast briefly and later thrust his pubic region into her hip.

She previously told a court Coleman, the son of Souths great Craig Coleman, was standing nearby when this happened and “launched forward with both his hands and put them on my breasts”. Under cross-examination on Monday from Musgrove’s barrister Phillip English, the woman was taken back through six minutes of grainy, black-and-white CCTV footage capturing her interactions with the men.

Having previously said she’d felt scared and uncomfortable during the incident, Mr English asked why she hadn’t scolded the pair or walked away. The woman told the court she “froze” when the incidents occurred. “You go into survival mode if you feel scared like that,” she told Downing Centre Local Court. “I bloody wish I did (walk away).”

She hit back at suggestions she had been dancing with the men during the alleged assault. “Dancing with someone doesn’t mean that what I’m saying didn’t happen … it’s irrelevant,” she said.
“I don’t think that that was a consensual dance move. I think it looks like he’s grabbed my hands and is moving from side to side.”

Mr English continued to press the woman on her dancing. “Is that called ‘the penguin’?” he asked her of one moment in the clip, before moving on to query how well she danced while in shock.

Mr English’s line of questioning brought the woman to tears. “Like, really?” she said, before asking for a break. Mr English also asked the woman whether Musgrove could have been doing the “grind” dance move when he thrust his pubic region into her hip, to which she answered “he’s still doing it”.
During the footage Musgrove can be seen repeatedly placing his arm around the woman’s neck, pulling her towards him and kissing her.

The woman pointed out to the court the moment Coleman allegedly groped her breasts in the CCTV footage. However, the view of the alleged assault was obscured by Musgrove and cannot be seen in full. Under cross-examination the woman previously admitted she had approached Musgrove at the bar.

At the time of the incident, Musgrove had signed to play for Wests Tigers in 2019, but was later denied registration by the NRL.

As Coleman arrived at court on Monday, he used a water bottle he was carrying to squirt water at a photographer in front of him.

Doesn’t sound to good for Musgrove

@Jimmy said in Zane Musgrove:

Doesn’t sound to good for Musgrove

To me, it doesn’t sound one way or the other. A woman approached him, he danced with her and then kissed her.

Don’t want to dismiss the way she felt, though.

last edited by Masterton

I hope a decision is made before the pre-season starts. If he’s going to play with us he needs an entire pre-season under his belt.

@Kazoo-Kid said in Zane Musgrove:

I hope a decision is made before the pre-season starts. If he’s going to play with us he needs an entire pre-season under his belt.

I am fairly certain the Court doesn’t care what suits the Wests Tigers!

@cochise said in Zane Musgrove:

Of course we’re of no concern. Just saying it would be beneficial if that were the case.

@Newtown said in Zane Musgrove:

> As Coleman arrived at court on Monday, he used a water bottle he was carrying to squirt water at a photographer in front of him.

Stay classy Coleman…

What an idiotic thing to do when you are trying to regain public confidence.

@ElleryHanley said in Zane Musgrove:

@Newtown said in Zane Musgrove:

> As Coleman arrived at court on Monday, he used a water bottle he was carrying to squirt water at a photographer in front of him.

Stay classy Coleman…

What an idiotic thing to do when you are trying to regain public confidence.

Always was an idiot. What would you expect from a former Wabbit, even a current one for that matter.

@cochise said in Zane Musgrove:

Of course we’re of no concern. Just saying it would be beneficial if that were the case.

Case has two more dates set. 16 and 21 of October.

Black and white grainy footage…classic in this age of technology.

Man, it’s tough to be a bloke. While I don’t agree with their actions and that they seem aggressive (I certainly wouldn’t do it), the sole responsibility to determine where the line seems to rest only with the bloke. Grinding while dancing? Really?

The clear way to send the message is to walk away. Even a push or say ‘No’. I’m not sure I get the whole ‘frozen’ argument. I can’t see where she gave them any signal/feedback for them to understand her intentions.

Doesn’t sound like he’s in any trouble. People touch each other in clubs. Is there always verbal consent when someone grinds onto someone else? No, you can’t even talk in those venues.
She approached him in a bar, they danced, and he maybe wanted to go on with things - if he overstepped his mark she would say so, slap him, walk away etc. How many times do guys make unwanted advances on girls and they do one of the above? It happens all the time, and the guys get put in their place all the time.

It seems there’s no evidence that anything else untoward took place. Her word against his. Nothing will come from that.

@balmain-boy said in Zane Musgrove:

Doesn’t sound like he’s in any trouble. People touch each other in clubs. Is there always verbal consent when someone grinds onto someone else? No, you can’t even talk in those venues.
She approached him in a bar, they danced, and he maybe wanted to go on with things - if he overstepped his mark she would say so, slap him, walk away etc. How many times do guys make unwanted advances on girls and they do one of the above? It happens all the time, and the guys get put in their place all the time.

It seems there’s no evidence that anything else untoward took place. Her word against his. Nothing will come from that.

agree and hopefully this is something Musgrove has learnt from and wouldn’t do it EVER AGAIN!!!

He’s going to play for us?
Thought that was history now

@innsaneink said in Zane Musgrove:

Thought that was history now

Seem to recall The POM in an earlier post saying that if he is cleared (which they seemed to think was a good chance) he will play for us.