NRL calls on fans to voice their opinion

• @TigerTiger said in NRL calls on fans to voice their opinion:

I don’t see how he can get away with it. Even if he is genuinely totally innocent, it looks so damning how can they not see it and stop doing it to save appearances??

I agree that some of the judgements have been poor and Greenberg does not seem to be able to read the room.

I would also argue that there is a difference between popularity and being able to administer the game. The NRL accounts are fairly healthy and despite fan-lead warnings of a downturn, NRL had record revenues in 2018 (2019 yet to be released). And whilst the NRL 2019 GF TV audience was the worst on record, AFL’s GF audience was the worst in 26 years, which supports the overall negative trend of TV viewership. Average crowds 2019 were down on 2018, but ahead of 2017.

The testimonial for JT and CS was an error in judgement - they vastly underestimated the appearance of favouritism and the way it stirred interest amongst other clubs. In and of itself the testimonial is fine, but if you allow a perk to one club, the other 15 clubs are going to come with open hands, and to underestimate this is poor management.

Similarly, the ring to Cam Smith’s wife is unprecedented, but so is 400 games of FG, so the whole thing has no comparison. But again, it just looks bad, and underestimating this is the mistake.

One thing I will say is not to underestimate the power of the elite-level players. Sometimes schmoozing these top players is the way to get things done, for example their influence within the RLPA and getting the CBA across the line, or the ongoing success of SOO and the attempt to build international rep football. Top players do get preferential treatment and it would be ignorant to think otherwise. It would also be ignorant to think that some elite players aren’t highly self-interested.

I listened a recording of the Tom Brock lecture this week (look it up if you don’t know what it is), this year concerning the RLPA. It’s amazing how little funding or support the RLPA has had for most of its existence, because historically players have been so self-interested as to overlook the importance of banding together for the benefit of the entire players group. And a strong component of the RLPA are the elite players, some of whom have high influence over proceedings.

Anyway, with a new ARLC Commissioner, you can bet that Todd Greenberg’s position will be reviewed with fresh eyes. But, ultimately, the CEO position will probably be measured in KPIs that don’t necessarily align with fan desires or preferences.

You always have to wonder about the challenges of getting effective NRL leadership. If you rise up from within the game, you will absolutely have strong links to where you came from and thus possible perception of favouritism. E.g. Greenberg coming from the Bulldogs. If you played the game professionally, you might have very strong links to key stakeholders and be criticised for alleged cronyism. On the other hand, if you aren’t a league head, e.g. like Dave Smith, you can also be dismissed out-of-hand simply for not appearing to be the right fit. For example, it makes no difference at all to business if Dave Smith doesn’t recognise Ben Barba or Peter Beattie forgets the Sharks team name, and yet that’s the kind of stuff fans and media harp on about.

• @jirskyr said in NRL calls on fans to voice their opinion:

Similarly, the ring to Cam Smith’s wife is unprecedented, but so is 400 games of FG, so the whole thing has no comparison. But again, it just looks bad, and underestimating this is the mistake.

What looks absolutely terrible is the fact that Greenberg was celebrating 400 games played, two years of which he had knowingly signed two contracts and tried his very best to cheat the system and rob the league of it’s integrity. Id say it’s probably not worth celebrating personally, but the guys at the top see things differently. You can defend him all you like, but his decisions in circumstances such as this are just plain bad. I don’t know how anyone could ever consider rewarding him the way he has been.

• @rustycage said in NRL calls on fans to voice their opinion:

@jirskyr said in NRL calls on fans to voice their opinion:

What looks absolutely terrible is the fact that Greenberg was celebrating 400 games played, two years of which he had knowingly signed two contracts and tried his very best to cheat the system and rob the league of it’s integrity. Id say it’s probably not worth celebrating personally, but the guys at the top see things differently. You can defend him all you like, but his decisions in circumstances such as this are just plain bad. I don’t know how anyone could ever consider rewarding him the way he has been.

Look I don’t mind the NRL celebrating him making 400 games. Regardless of whether he signed contracts designed to cheat the cap, he would have played them elsewhere if it wasn’t at Melbourne. What I can’t cop are testimonials while he’s still playing the game and buying his wife jewelry. I’d say she’s benefit fairly well off the back of the game with her husbands earnings and status as one of the best in the game (this is where the dodgy two contracts situation comes to the fore for mine,) so buying her a $15K ring was an extremely poor judgement to make.

Recent Topics