The Importance of positions in the modern game

• Just wondering what fans think are the most important positions in the modern game

My personal opinion you probably only need 2 genuine good players in your spine

Your nine needs some speed and have a massive engine defensively

Your seven needs to be able to oversee your game plan

The five eight and fullback are keys in the modern game

Forwards

One prop needs to be explosive metre eater …the other can be your consummate team man …big minutes , do a job in attack without breaking the bank and tackle anything that moves

Same go for your 13 , unless it’s Taumalolo again you can get away with someone who does a job every week , doesn’t need to be explosive but needs to punch out 100 metres and 40 tackles

Back rowers are massive in my opinion now …you get two good uns they can let you rest your bank account when it comes to centres …you more points of attack you have the better …no coincidence our best seasons we had a super strong back row

Centres again you want blokes who can do some dirty work in your half …but you probably need at least one that can create something with either size , speed and or ball skills , defensively centre is the hardest spot …but having good edge defenders can lessen that issue

Wingers speed helps …but many sides prefer size to help both with dirty hit ups and then being an offensive weapon in the air with high kicks

But these blokes need to be able find the tryline

Bench is massive these days , a couple of props with power , speed , aggression are key …one that can fill the gap and steady the side if you need a big defensive workload

And 17 …well everyone sees it differently …a back who is big enough to fill a back rowers jersey if needed …a spine player who can fill a jack of all trades …maybe you want to overpower the opposition

Anyway the most important player in the modern game are back rowers in my opinion , mainly because they need a bit of everything …big motor …can tackle until others arms drop off …be creative with their hands and footwork …and then break a tackle of two in the red zone with speed and size

What do others think ??

• @happy_tiger good post and topic Happy. I tend to agree with a lot of your post. For me, if I was to create a team it would be built around the spine and front front row

• It’s funny, I don’t think that the positions matter much at all, you need particular skillsets and a gameplan to utilise them.

Look at Canberra, not traditional halves, but a great hooker & backrowers along with some skillful outside backs. Won a lot of games on the back of outstanding defence.

• @Harvey said in The Importance of positions in the modern game:

It’s funny, I don’t think that the positions matter much at all, you need particular skillsets and a gameplan to utilise them.

Look at Canberra, not traditional halves, but a great hooker & backrowers along with some skillful outside backs. Won a lot of games on the back of outstanding defence.

You make a good point …defence wins footy games …and defence is attitude in the most part …

Signing the best 17 players in the game would be nice …but it is no guarantee of a premiership

Look at Cleary …he brought in some good players …but in reality they didn’t really gel with the existing talent

So we got 5/6 I think to kick the season off which in the main part was pure guts and a never say die attitude …but due to lack of talent and depth we couldn’t maintain it

• For me it’s all about the forwards. Two high quality props along with at least one explosive backrower help lay the platform for the backs to do their thing. I’d add a workhorse defensive 80 minute backrower to balance the pack a little.

You can get by with above average halves when we have the forwards getting on top and controlling the game.

A fast game breaker or two in the backs helps but where they are positioned in the backline isn’t as important as the impact the can have when they have the ball.

• The halves are still the most important players to win you a comp. The raiders didn’t really bother the chooks because of their halves. Melb despite being ther most consistent side have struggled in the big games without Cronk.

• The coach

• Positions aren’t important, what’s important is The Ruck, win the ruck in attack and defense and you more often win the game.

As far as important positions go.
    One
    Seven
    Nine

But in order for them to have a big influence you need forwards getting quick play the balls.

Having some speed on the wings is nice but how often do they get in space?
    Centers are the same, rarely get opportunities, centres and wingers need to work well in defense.

• There have also been examples in recent years of combinations of players working well together in attack: Leilua and Rapana; Kikau and Blake; Cook and Murray; Takairangi and Radradra; Burgess and Inglis. Any time you can combine two or more threats that complement each other you are going to create major headaches for the defence, regardless of where it is on the field. That seems to be why fullbacks are so valued these days - they can insert themselves alongside other danger men anywhere on the field. Tedesco can lurk to the inside of Mitchell or Manu, or he can press up the middle looking for a JWH offload. It’s no wonder the Roosters have won two in a row…

• I think your spine has to compliment each other. Its about getting some good players and building a team around their strengths and weaknesses.

For the spine:-
    One has to be in charge, calm everyone down, manage the game and call the set plays
    At least 2 need to be able to kick on the 5th tackle. Long, grubber and bomb
    2 have to be ball players and have the vision to pass the ball to a player in space
    At least 2 have to be elusive ball runners with some speed
    your dummy half needs to be a great short and long passer or quick to take advantage of fast play-the-balls

Others:-
    1 good attacking back on each side
    You want variety in your forwards, some attacking, some defensive, some intimidating.
    Some youth, some experience and some gambles on future talent.
    There is no point spending your salary cap in one area, neither the backs or forwards can win by themselves.
    If you pay over $900k for a player they must be the nucleus of your team, a centre, winger or forward isn’t touching the ball enough to warrant such a high percentage of your cap.

• @gallagher said in The Importance of positions in the modern game:

The halves are still the most important players to win you a comp. The raiders didn’t really bother the chooks because of their halves. Melb despite being ther most consistent side have struggled in the big games without Cronk.

Agree Melbourne suffered not having/playing an organising halfback. Raiders have the team, but not the coach.

Recent Topics