Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion

All the people saying to give him a deadline for the next 2 days are clueless. I seem to remember Ivan gave Tedesco and woods a 48 hour deadline and they were gone within minutes.

If we don’t get him we have lost nothing in trying. If they were in it from the get go doubt we would still be being considered. His family would love him to be at South’s and that will more than likely count most, if the offer is close enough.

last edited by Telltails

I don’t understand the mind set that, because our new Board Chair said that we want Latrell Mitchell at the Tigers, we will be considered some kind of basket case if he goes elsewhere.
I reckon, if asked, the Chairs of pretty much all boards would say the same if they were in a position to bid. All except the Roosters. So if we end up a basket case, it’s a bloody big basket and we’re in good company.
The bottom line is the bottom line and Latrell still has to sign it, somewhere.

@pawsandclaws1 said in Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion:

Bigsiro, we’ve signed some very exciting talent and this appears to be a proactive and strategic approach to rebuild the club from within. We have a very capable manager of football whom is ex Roosters. We have a premiership winning coach and I believe we made a profit. We also have a high profile chairman from a leading law firm which happens to sponsor NSW. We have heard nothing from the club which has been consistent all the way through with signings. The media can print their stories but taking all this into account, I have confidence in or club.

Paws we need to win on the field. Plain and simple.

Remember Ivan also signed some talent. We lauded our leadership at that time.
Before that despite the fact that I didn’t like Taylor at least our management stood strong at that time (I guess).
The appointment of Potter was brave but that whole situation was mismanaged.

All of these seemed positive at some point, and we had reason to have some degree of confidence each time. But all ended in disaster and each time us fans got burned.

I see your reason for optimism but we shouldn’t be criticized for wanting more. For demanding more.
If anything, that should be encouraged.

We have been in a rebuild for 15 years and I am hopeful it will turn around at some point. I just don’t know when. And after 15 years in the wilderness it’s hard not to be impatient.

Latrell’s signature would be a step in the right direction.

But then again if we don’t get him…well…

@yeahcaz said in Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion:

All the people saying to give him a deadline for the next 2 days are clueless. I seem to remember Ivan gave Tedesco and woods a 48 hour deadline and they were gone within minutes.

I don’t get the motive for it. Is it so we can move on? What’s the rush. I know the forum has been in meltdown mode for weeks because for some reason the deal should already be done. If talks are progressing and the club feels its in a good position, it can take another month for all I care. They can announce him Christmas day for all I care.

Or is the deadline to play hardball? Does anyone think he would really react with ‘‘oh god, I better sign then’’. No chance. He’ll say good riddance. There’s no advantage to setting a deadline, regardless of the intent.

@GNR4LIFE said in Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion:

@tiger05premier said in Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion:

@bptiger said in Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion:

if nothing happens by wed , I think the tigers need to put there foot down and give him a dead line, he cant keep waiting for other clubs to come knocking at his door either he comes or he is told pee of.

Make the deadline Wednesday

If he doesn’t take it announce it to media we have pulled our offer

Rabbits can than massively drop their offer and he loses out

Deadlines never end well for the party setting them.

They don’t but if we believe he is playing us than stuff him

Just limit the amount he can earn by having one less club interested

@TYGA said in Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion:

I said last week if it didn’t happen Last week it won’t happen. There is a reason he hasn’t made a decision last week. He’s waiting it out to give Souths time to get cap space and see if there are any other interested teams.

Mid last year it came out the change of manager made the Roosters think he was going to Souths.
I’d go to Souths if I was him also.

It’s sounding like if we want him it’s going to be a huge contract. I’d be walking away and seeing if Souths would release Gagai and Johnstone they would both be on contracts that won’t total more than 1.1m.

I can see us picking up some of Souths crumbs if they sign LM. Gaigai would be handy. I’d throw up a little in my mouth if we picked up Johnstone.

If I were Wests tigers I wouldn’t but anything from souths.

@bigsiro said in Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion:

Please settle down. There is enough in this thread to confirm we should have confidence in the mgmt of our club.

There is nothing in this thread that has any relevance re the management of our club. Paws this isn’t a comment against only yours per se, but more of a greater issue which bothers me a bit.

In that I just don’t understand why some fans constantly tell other fans to have confidence in our management and faith in our coach. Why should we? Phrases keep coming like “in Madge we trust”. Why?

For all the good things that have happened and the exciting potential, we still have had disappointment after disappointment on-field for 15 years with no sign of let up. We have had multiple coaches who left in ignominy and left us worse off; we have had multiple failures re player acquisition and even worse failures re player retention. We have hope for better training facilities but our identity crisis still continues to ensure what can only be called a home ground disadvantage.

We are the team with the longest finals drought and most of us are sick to death of it.
We don’t need fans to settle down.
Quite the opposite.

Rant over.

But you’ll be back come game 1 cheering them on.

if nothing happens by wed , I think the tigers need to put there foot down and give him a dead line, he cant keep waiting for other clubs to come knocking at his door either he comes or he is told pee of.

But that’s not how you benefit from possibly missing out to another in a negotiation. If anything we should increase our offer knowing full well his decision is somewhere else and force the other club to cough up more cash that way they aren’t able to sign that extra forward they need. And we could benefit from that indirectly.
Heart always trumps the mind in big decisions.

@TigerWest
Mate, they win the first game and my guard is dropped all over again.

@yeahcaz said in Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion:

So if the club was to have it on good authority that he was using us to up his price at a club he wants to go to se should just let him do it

And if you believe WOODS and Tedesco weren’t already gone you really do have no idea

We needed clarification from them So we could move on

@bigsiro said in Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion:

Bigsiro, we’ve signed some very exciting talent and this appears to be a proactive and strategic approach to rebuild the club from within. We have a very capable manager of football whom is ex Roosters. We have a premiership winning coach and I believe we made a profit. We also have a high profile chairman from a leading law firm which happens to sponsor NSW. We have heard nothing from the club which has been consistent all the way through with signings. The media can print their stories but taking all this into account, I have confidence in or club.

Paws we need to win on the field. Plain and simple.

Remember Ivan also signed some talent. We lauded our leadership at that time.
Before that despite the fact that I didn’t like Taylor at least our management stood strong at that time (I guess).
The appointment of Potter was brave but that whole situation was mismanaged.

All of these seemed positive at some point, and we had reason to have some degree of confidence each time. But all ended in disaster and each time us fans got burned.

I see your reason for optimism but we shouldn’t be criticized for wanting more. For demanding more.
If anything, that should be encouraged.

We have been in a rebuild for 15 years and I am hopeful it will turn around at some point. I just don’t know when. And after 15 years in the wilderness it’s hard not to be impatient.

Latrell’s signature would be a step in the right direction.

But then again if we don’t get him…well…

I agree to some extent but in every contract negotiation it still ends up a decision the player makes for whatever reasons he has. If we miss out on Mitchell, it won’t be for lack of effort.
My optimism stems from the fact that our new Chair is a fan too and he has stated publicly that he’s sick of losing too, basically agreeing to your point about 15 years in the wilderness. He seems to be a person that is confident he can bring about change and isn’t afraid to stand publicly behind what he believes. I look at as if we now have somebody that shares views with members of this forum as the clubs Chair.

I am sure that Lattrell’s destination will be locked in less than 48 hours after you are looking at this post.

@Needaname said in Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion:

But that’s not how you benefit from possibly missing out to another in a negotiation. If anything we should increase our offer knowing full well his decision is somewhere else and force the other club to cough up more cash that way they aren’t able to sign that extra forward they need. And we could benefit from that indirectly.
Heart always trumps the mind in big decisions.

100% correct. The Packer methodology. If you can’t get what you want then make sure the opposition have to pay a premium for them.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.