Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion

The problem with this saga is the player managers , not the media , not the clubs , not Latrell .
All these articles and speculations are driven are generally “Leaked by PM” to journos and if you go by Webster’s article that there are other PM contacting clubs on LM Behalf , you have 3 x pm leaking stories to media such as the union article.
Greenberg has opportunity and mandate to bring the PM into line with the eels cap saga but did squat

@GNR4LIFE said in Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion:

The AFL use the draft and never have any of this crap. Players don’t walk out mid season to join other clubs, and clubs are compensated if they lose players under contract. Unfortunately it’s a system that’s bred into the players, so they know it’s apart of the game. Whereas for League players, because they’re such snowflakes, they’d all play the mental health card. Sad, cos a draft would end the circus.

Alot of high profile sports do or at the very least have transfer windows - actually most of the higher paying sports do…

The RLPA is built off the old mantra rather than a business model. Player managers influence things far too much. They have had some great success like min wage increases and expansion of the payments to dev players and squad sizes however if they really looked after players a draft/transfer period would take a load of pressure off alot of the players & remove a chunk of the manager haggle activities.

Re LM another poster mentioned LM controls the situation - for alot of players their Manager controls it but the player confirms. Its clear with all the reports going on (consistently from multiple clubs) that LM manager is trying to get the best managers deal rather than what’s in the best interest of LM. I doubt $1M is actually a focus point for him but for the Manager it’s very obvious the cash is the priority.

The AFL use the draft and never have any of this crap. Players don’t walk out mid season to join other clubs, and clubs are compensated if they lose players under contract. Unfortunately it’s a system that’s bred into the players, so they know it’s apart of the game. Whereas for League players, because they’re such snowflakes, they’d all play the mental health card. Sad, cos a draft would end the circus.

The funny thing is though that the head of the game at the time brought in the salary cap specifically with a preseason draft structure in mind. The only way a salary cap really works is if there is a draft system in place to even up the talent and give the have nots a bit more bargaining power over the clubs that have the wealth. The nrl need to do something, theyve done nothing since Terry Hill won his restraint of trade case in court. I would argue that in todays modern game that no longer applies because the game is truely global now with many international leagues so anyone who refused to take part in a draft system could feel free to apply their trade elsewhere freely.

@The_Patriot said in Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion:

@Telltails said in Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion:

When he met with the Cowboys, club officials asked what appealed most about playing in Townsville.
He didn’t talk about winning premierships, about playing at the club’s new stadium, about taking the field alongside Jason Taumalolo or Michael Morgan.
“Fishing and shooting,” he said.

That says it all for me.

I’d question giving a million a season to a guy with that attitude. He sounds tired and sick of the spotlight.

Reminds me a bit of the Jamie Lyon saga when he left the Eels.

I’m not upset with the guy but this is what I think is going on. The guy has had enough and just wants to have some time out. Unfortunately he is stuffing himself up financially.

@tigertye said in Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion:

What has me a little dumbfounded is how people are saying LM’s manager is the cause of all the issues and dealing with Latrell directly was positive. He could be giving some very poor guidance and advice, but at the end of the day Mitchell makes the call. He meets a few clubs, looks over the deals and tells his manager, “this is where I want to play.” This debacle can’t entirely be his managers fault!

Wherever he goes, he’ll get a decent offer. By all reports the Tigers threw the best deal at him.

He had the money, a long-term contract and was all but guaranteed the position he wanted to play, yet he didn’t take it. He literally is either the most poorly guided, confused and indecisive young man I’ve ever heard or his ego, money or demanding ridiculous terms in his contract has got the best of him.

To me, it’s glaringly obvious he just doesn’t want to play for the Tigers for whatever reason. The only alternative I can think of is his manager has royally screwed him in negotiating a deal with us…but again, Latrell has had the power to say, “let’s not drag this out, this is who I want to play for and let’s get it done” the entire time.

If he doesn’t want to be here or wants to play silly buggers, game over. I’m glad the club pulled the offer. We gave him an amazing opportunity. You can have all the talent in the world but the team and passion in the jersey come first.

Someone on here has been saying this all along, but no one has been listening. Sadly, I think he/she is right.

What has me a little dumbfounded is how people are saying LM’s manager is the cause of all the issues and dealing with Latrell directly was positive. He could be giving some very poor guidance and advice, but at the end of the day Mitchell makes the call. He meets a few clubs, looks over the deals and tells his manager, “this is where I want to play.” This debacle can’t entirely be his managers fault!

Wherever he goes, he’ll get a decent offer. By all reports the Tigers threw the best deal at him.

He had the money, a long-term contract and was all but guaranteed the position he wanted to play, yet he didn’t take it. He literally is either the most poorly guided, confused and indecisive young man I’ve ever heard or his ego, money or demanding ridiculous terms in his contract has got the best of him.

To me, it’s glaringly obvious he just doesn’t want to play for the Tigers for whatever reason. The only alternative I can think of is his manager has royally screwed him in negotiating a deal with us…but again, Latrell has had the power to say, “let’s not drag this out, this is who I want to play for and let’s get it done” the entire time.

If he doesn’t want to be here or wants to play silly buggers, game over. I’m glad the club pulled the offer. We gave him an amazing opportunity. You can have all the talent in the world but the team and passion in the jersey come first.

When players pay good money to managers to help secure deals part of that management should be to ensure that the players reputation remains intact - managers acting with integrity. This by all accounts has not been the case with LM management and it seems to be
a problem across the board. His manager knows where Latrell’s head is at - they could have informed us weeks ago that he doesn’t want to play for us if that is the case, but they didnt. That’s the managers role to liase on behalf of the player the problem is in securing the best deal they string clubs along - and we are continually seeing young players manipulated by a system that has no integrity. There is no coincidence that some of the older wiser players handle their own contract negotiations.

@Mighty_Tiger said in Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion:

Re LM another poster mentioned LM controls the situation - for alot of players their Manager controls it but the player confirms. Its clear with all the reports going on (consistently from multiple clubs) that LM manager is trying to get the best managers deal rather than what’s in the best interest of LM. I doubt $1M is actually a focus point for him but for the Manager it’s very obvious the cash is the priority.

This certainly seems to be a constant, as is generally that Latrell is a good bloke. Talk of spotter fees and other innuendo points to strong external influencers, which is not uncommon in some cultures and I suggest reading an earlier post by @NT_Tiger on the matter.

@Spud_Murphy said in Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion:

Someone on here has been saying this all along, but no one has been listening. Sadly, I think he/she is right.

He also doesn’t want to play for the Roosters or it appears any other club. It’s not as simple as we are so bad. The guy is just struggling at the moment.

@Telltails said in Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion:

When players pay good money to managers to help secure deals part of that management should be to ensure that the players reputation remains intact - managers acting with integrity. This by all accounts has not been the case with LM management and it seems to be
a problem across the board. His manager knows where Latrell’s head is at - they could have informed us weeks ago that he doesn’t want to play for us if that is the case, but they didnt. That’s the managers role to liase on behalf of the player the problem is in securing the best deal they string clubs along - and we are continually seeing young players manipulated by a system that has no integrity. There is no coincidence that some of the older wiser players handle their own contract negotiations.

I think his manager is probably struggling as well. He wants to be paid but isn’t really that interested in footy at all at the moment.

Souths definitely out …from a very reliable source reportedly. The options are thinning like my hair.

😂

League players, because they’re such snowflakes

And that, sir, is the dictionary definition of the phrase “keyboard warrior”.

@2041 said in Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion:

League players, because they’re such snowflakes

And that, sir, is the dictionary definition of the phrase “keyboard warrior”.

keyboard warrior
nounINFORMAL
a person who makes abusive or aggressive posts on the Internet, typically one who conceals their true identity.
“she seems a down-to-earth person who does not deserve to be vilified by keyboard warriors”

The penny has dropped for some, a few others are a bit slower, they’d have you think his manager hog tied him so he physically couldn’t sign the contract.

@willow said in Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion:

@Tigerstar said in Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion:

Sounds to me as we have publicly removed our offer so we can work on this behind the scenes with out any pressure fingers crossed anyways

The POM explained why. Mitchell himself isn’t the issue, it’s his manager who happens to be the roadblock.

So are you saying that Mitchell really really really wants to play for us but his manager is preventing that happening?

If Mitchell wanted to be a Tiger he would have signed, it’s that simple.

@TIGER said in Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion:

@willow said in Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion:

@Tigerstar said in Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion:

Sounds to me as we have publicly removed our offer so we can work on this behind the scenes with out any pressure fingers crossed anyways

The POM explained why. Mitchell himself isn’t the issue, it’s his manager who happens to be the roadblock.

So are you saying that Mitchell really really really wants to play for us but his manager is preventing that happening?

If Mitchell wanted to be a Tiger he would have signed, it’s that simple.

both manager and player would have to come to a agreement

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.