Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion

@momo_amp_medo said in Roosters pull Mitchell’s contract offer:

‘Scarred’: Tigers stall on big money move for Mitchell

Basically the article indicates that the Board is weary on committing up to $1M a season on one player following Packer, Matulino and Reynolds failures.

Keen to have him on board but only after a comprehensive review - assessment process to determine he could/ would fit in with the Clubs current approach to coaching and rigorous of training under Madge.

Just common sense isn’t it?

‘Scarred’: Wests Tigers stall on $3m contract for Latrell Mitchell
An $8.2 million signing spree that backfired on Wests Tigers has the NRL club’s board urging caution as they weigh up splashing the cash to snare Latrell Mitchell.
DEAN RITCHIE, The Daily Telegraph
Subscriber only
|
November 10, 2019 7:23pm

An uneasy Wests Tigers board has concerns about rushing into a rich deal with Latrell Mitchell after hastily outlaying a whopping $8.2 million on three players three years ago.

The Daily Telegraph has been told club directors want to conduct a comprehensive appraisal on Mitchell — on and off the field — before spending up to $3 million on the star player over three years.

Board members want Mitchell at Concord but will conduct a review on whether the player’s personality would mesh with renowned iron-­fisted coach Michael Maguire.

The board wants to ensure the signing would be risk free.

Wests Tigers directors are still gun shy over hurriedly signing Josh Reynolds, Ben Matulino and Russell Packer to long-term deals worth more than $8 million three years ago after the club lost star players James Tedesco, Mitchell Moses and Aaron Woods.

“The board is undoubtedly scarred by what happened three years ago,” one source close to the club said.

Wests Tigers directors want to conduct a comprehensive appraisal on Latrell Mitchell. Picture: Getty Images
Wests Tigers directors want to conduct a comprehensive appraisal on Latrell Mitchell. Picture: Getty Images
“The club rushed into some purchases where they paid ‘overs’. The club should have completed even deeper checks in relation to fitness, health etc.

“I’m certain the club won’t pay ‘overs’ for Latrell. There are some reservations.”

Reynolds, Matulino and Packer have had to overcome form loss and injury in attempting to justify their fat contracts.

It still appears likely Mitchell will join Wests Tigers from next season. Maguire will increase negotiations on his return from New Zealand Test duty on Monday.

All levels of the Tigers’ management are supportive of Mitchell but want to tread slowly and carefully before lodging a massive offer.

Michael Maguire’s tough training can unsettle some players. Picture. Phil Hillyard
Michael Maguire’s tough training can unsettle some players. Picture. Phil Hillyard
Maguire is renowned for his relentless coaching technique — a style which can unsettle some players, including the recently departed Ryan Matterson.

Wests Tigers want Mitchell to fully support Maguire’s coaching approach.

Mitchell wants to play fullback at Concord, where he could demand $1 million a ­season. Wests Tigers wouldn’t pay that amount for a left ­centre.

Rival clubs three years ago felt Wests Tigers quickly signed players to avoid humiliation after losing Tedesco, Woods and Moses in one hit.

“I think you’ll find the majority of the board would support signing Mitchell but there are still some concerns,” the source said.

Latrell Mitchell wants to play fullback. Picture: Getty Images
Latrell Mitchell wants to play fullback. Picture: Getty Images
“You need players that will fit in and Madge is a great coach and a tough coach. It’s his way or the highway and some players don’t like that.

“The club needs to know that any player that signs up will buy into that and will sign up to Madge’s culture.”

Wests Tigers directors noted Mitchell’s attitude toward NSW coach Brad Fittler when dropped after State of Origin I this year.

The Sydney Roosters want Mitchell moved on by next season, despite him having a contract at Bondi for 2020.

@swag_tiger said in Roosters pull Mitchell’s contract offer:

@TheDaBoss anything to get Clicks.

Sounds reasonable to me. Given our horror run of recruitment the last couple of years, it’s the smart thing to do.

@GNR4LIFE said in Roosters pull Mitchell’s contract offer:

@swag_tiger said in Roosters pull Mitchell’s contract offer:

@TheDaBoss anything to get Clicks.

Sounds reasonable to me. Given our horror run of recruitment the last couple of years, it’s the smart thing to do.

Agree. Smart approach. Due diligence needed on any signing.

Basically the article indicates that the Board is weary on committing up to $1M a season on one player following Packer, Matulino and Reynolds failures.

Keen to have him on board but only after a comprehensive review - assessment process to determine he could/ would fit in with the Clubs current approach to coaching and rigorous of training under Madge.

He forgot to mention Mbye on massive money, I know the Dogs are kicking in some cash but he is still on way overs for what he delivers.

@jadtiger said in Roosters pull Mitchell’s contract offer:

@tig_prmz said in Roosters pull Mitchell’s contract offer:

what do we have to loose? i’d happily pay him whatever he wants if it increaes the chance of us getting in to the top 8.

What we could lose is our best opportunity in many years to put a good coach and team together.Spending much of our cap on someone who is essentially an outside back when our forwards are weaker than they where this year (matterson and Ben gone)Imho it is our forwards that need the upgrade mainly

if paying him >$1m a year gets us a step closer to top 8, i’ll be happy with that. honestly, dont care about long term anymore

is Dean Richie quoting himself in this article
‘Scarred’: Wests Tigers stall on $3m contract for Latrell Mitchell

Ritchie is a gutter journalist.

@Cultured_Bogan said in Roosters pull Mitchell’s contract offer:

His nickname should be shortened from Bulldog to just Dog.

aren’t there reservations about practically every player when signing for another club?
Realistically, you think the roosters weren’t on edge about another huge injury to tedesco’s knee when they signed him? there are no guarantees in regards to this

@gallagher said in Roosters pull Mitchell’s contract offer:

Just common sense isn’t it?

Yep nothing wrong with being cautious, after the disastrous decisions that have been made in the past - maybe we are learning after all👍

I note Paul Gallen has entered the discussion telling Latrell he might cost himself money if he leaves Easts. I’ll admit my bias up front in that I simply can’t stand Gallen. To me he is a complete knob with a huge mouth. But, his argument that Latrell could be better off staying at Easts is typical of his attempts to keep himself in the media. I wonder whether Moses Mbye would agree having made the Queensland SOO team this year while playing at the Tigers. Ryan Matterson is another who got a lot closer to NSW SOO selection playing at Wests than he ever did at Easts and probably should have been picked for games 2 and 3. Both these players would have increased their earnings playing at our club. Admittedly Mybe wasn’t as Easts but my point is that being at Wests Tigers does not preclude you from playing SOO or Test football. God I hope Barry Hall cleans Gallen up when they fight.

he is literally like a IBIS

scrounges around in bins for food

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.