Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion

Posted on the LU WT forum -

Played against Corey Thompson in shire oztag comp tonight, he did seem pretty confident we’ll get Latrell. Nothing set in stone, just talks so far apparently

@WT2K said in Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion:

Played against Corey Thompson in shire oztag comp tonight, he did seem pretty confident we’ll get Latrell. Nothing set in stone, just talks so far apparently

No surprises that it isn’t set in stone with Mitchell back home and Madge only just returning from NZ. I see no reason why we shouldn’t be confident. It doesn’t look like any other clubs are going to be interested, and the relationship with the Roosters looks untenable. All good signs for us.

Why are no other club interested though…

I know it’s pessimistic, but I just can’t see him coming here.

Originally, I was in the side of those who say too much money for someone so frustratingly inconsistent, but the more talk about him coming, the more excited I get about it.

Even if he doesn’t deliver every game, it’s such a massive signing that other positive things will start rolling in around it.

That comment from CT and comments from the new Chairman yesterday make me feel pretty confident. But not getting my hopes up, i’ve been burned before.

@avocadoontoast said in Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion:

That comment from CT and comments from the new Chairman yesterday make me feel pretty confident. But not getting my hopes up, i’ve been burned before.

Same.

Too much has gone wrong too often for me to feel any level of confidence. I remain hopeful but I haven’t put the champagne on ice just yet

@avocadoontoast said in Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion:

Nothing worse than burnt toast! 😅

NRL
Wests Tigers closing in on monster deal for Latrell Mitchell
Latrell Mitchell’s NRL future is on the verge of being finalised — and it looks set to involve a new club, position and big back-ended contract.

DEAN RITCHIE, The Daily Telegraph
Subscriber only
|
November 14, 2019 8:46am

FOXSPORTS0:52
Baz has Panthers purring
NRL: Josh Mansour tells Fox Sports about Panthers pre-season training under assistant coach, and former Sea Eagles head coach, Trent Barret.
Bad blood: Barrett opens up on Ivan Cleary myth
Rich teen: Broncos, Fifita to cash in on Bali saga
Wests Tigers are closing in on signing Sydney Roosters and Kangaroos star Latrell Mitchell.

The three-year back-ended deal could be finalised within days and Tigers coach Michael Maguire has returned from coaching New Zealand to take over the top-level negotiations.

While club officials weren’t confirming Mitchell’s arrival just yet, well-placed sources ­indicate the deal is just about completed.

It is unknown whether the Tigers would need to shift any players to accommodate the expected signing of Mitchell.

He has indicated he wants to switch from centre to start a new career at fullback.

Stream over 50 sports Live & On-Demand with KAYO SPORTS on your TV, computer, mobile or tablet. Just $25/month, no lock-in contract. Get your 14-day free trial and start streaming instantly >

Latrell Mitchell is on the verge of moving to Wests Tigers. Picture: Getty Images
Latrell Mitchell is on the verge of moving to Wests Tigers. Picture: Getty Images
While Mitchell’s contract value is confidential, rival clubs are tipping that Wests Tigers will pay around $800,000 for next year, $900,000 the ­following season and $1 million in 2022.

Some factions at Concord are lukewarm on Mitchell but Maguire is a fan of the former NSW centre, who most agree is among rugby league’s most damaging players.

It remains unknown where incumbent fullback Corey Thompson would play should Mitchell sign and be named at fullback.

FROM OUR PARTNERS

Watch the ATP World Tour Finals live on ESPN on Foxtel Foxtel Now 10 day free trial*

Mitchell remains under contact for next season at Bondi but the Roosters will agree to an early release to Wests Tigers.

Latrell Mitchell remains under contract at the Roosters for next season but could be released early. Picture: AAP
Latrell Mitchell remains under contract at the Roosters for next season but could be released early. Picture: AAP
Wests Tigers officials were on Wednesday adamant that no deal had been completed, although contract talks at this level can move swiftly.

Mitchell has a strong desire to play fullback but many believe he would have to change his body shape to cope with the extra workload.

@Wounded_magpie said in Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion:

NRL
Latrell Mitchell’s NRL future is on the verge of being finalised — and it looks set to involve a new club, position and big back-ended contract.

Subscriber only
|

Baz has Panthers purring
NRL: Josh Mansour tells Fox Sports about Panthers pre-season training under assistant coach, and former Sea Eagles head coach, Trent Barret.
Wests Tigers are closing in on signing Sydney Roosters and Kangaroos star Latrell Mitchell.

The three-year back-ended deal could be finalised within days and Tigers coach Michael Maguire has returned from coaching New Zealand to take over the top-level negotiations.

While club officials weren’t confirming Mitchell’s arrival just yet, well-placed sources ­indicate the deal is just about completed.

It is unknown whether the Tigers would need to shift any players to accommodate the expected signing of Mitchell.

He has indicated he wants to switch from centre to start a new career at fullback.

Stream over 50 sports Live & On-Demand with KAYO SPORTS on your TV, computer, mobile or tablet. Just $25/month, no lock-in contract. Get your 14-day free trial and start streaming instantly >

While Mitchell’s contract value is confidential, rival clubs are tipping that Wests Tigers will pay around $800,000 for next year, $900,000 the ­following season and $1 million in 2022.

Some factions at Concord are lukewarm on Mitchell but Maguire is a fan of the former NSW centre, who most agree is among rugby league’s most damaging players.

It remains unknown where incumbent fullback Corey Thompson would play should Mitchell sign and be named at fullback.

FROM OUR PARTNERS

Watch the ATP World Tour Finals live on ESPN on Foxtel Foxtel Now 10 day free trial*

Mitchell remains under contact for next season at Bondi but the Roosters will agree to an early release to Wests Tigers.

Wests Tigers officials were on Wednesday adamant that no deal had been completed, although contract talks at this level can move swiftly.

Mitchell has a strong desire to play fullback but many believe he would have to change his body shape to cope with the extra workload.

Where was this posted?

@finnzo said in Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion:

@Wounded_magpie said in Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion:

NRL

Subscriber only
|

Baz has Panthers purring

FROM OUR PARTNERS

Where was this posted?

I says its from the Telegraph.

if we sign latrell would there be point in retaining Mbye?

@trentrunciman said in Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion:

if we sign latrell would there be point in retaining Mbye?

Potentially off contract at the same time. I know who the priority will be. We can dip into the 650-700 Mbye is supposedly on to top up LM if we have to. Happy days.

@trentrunciman I don’t believe there would be any point keeping Mbye on his salary. Isn’t he contracted to end of 2022 or thereabouts? At the end of the day, if we have to keep him he is quite useful and a fairly strong player. Just a lot of dollars for what he brings to the side.

3 years for the money quoted is a bargain imho.

I’d be very happy with that outcome and it also leaves $900k this year to top up the roster. If we pull this deal off, it’ll be one of the smartest pieces of negotiation in the clubs history.

@GNR4LIFE said in Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion:

I know the club is probably gun shy signing lengthy deals given Packer and Reynolds were signed to 4 years, as did Mbye, but players like Mitchell, you give him 4 years. Anything less is too short. Its important to lock him down for as long as possible, because next time his contract is up, it won’t be like this time where clubs can’t fit him in. He’ll have half a dozen after him. Give him 4 years.

No such thing as locking someone down.
A 4 yr contract these days means you’re lucky if you get them for 2 before they start looking elsewhere

@TIGER said in Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion:

@GNR4LIFE said in Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion:

I know the club is probably gun shy signing lengthy deals given Packer and Reynolds were signed to 4 years, as did Mbye, but players like Mitchell, you give him 4 years. Anything less is too short. Its important to lock him down for as long as possible, because next time his contract is up, it won’t be like this time where clubs can’t fit him in. He’ll have half a dozen after him. Give him 4 years.

No such thing as locking someone down.
A 4 yr contract these days means you’re lucky if you get them for 2 before they start looking elsewhere

Pretty true.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.