Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion

@cktiger said in Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion:

Signs for $600k - how can that be ‘market value’ … and with a coach that has done nothing except go backwards for 10 years?
One year- with the option of one more in Souths favour?
What kind of moron would put that to him… and him be stupid enough to accept?
Maybe they’ll suit each other… the Broncos told Wayne he wasn’t required and the Roosters did the same with Latrell.

I am loathe to defend Bennet…but ‘gone backwards for ten years’? He was within one play of winning a GF four seasons ago.

Made GF qualifier this season with a ton of injuries.

@bbobb said in Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion:

Wow! Just watched the full PC. He looks really unfit but I got the impression still wants fullback. Wayne did look a bit coy when asked about the younger brigade (Doueihi etc) and I think he knows that he might need to release a couple.

Tigers should look to make Doueihi a very attractive offer. Clubs will often let players go on request so as to not stifle their careers - if we play our cards right, we might get someone halfway decent.

I believe Douehi is contracted until end of 2021 so we are unable to approach him until this Nov 1 unless Souths approve.

@cktiger said in Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion:

Signs for $600k - how can that be ‘market value’ … and with a coach that has done nothing except go backwards for 10 years?
One year- with the option of one more in Souths favour?
What kind of moron would put that to him… and him be stupid enough to accept?
Maybe they’ll suit each other… the Broncos told Wayne he wasn’t required and the Roosters did the same with Latrell.

I would say its a way of getting around the fact they dont, at this stage, have cap space for him next year with the arrival of Arrow. They will have to offload 1 or 2 players between now and then. Having an option probably would not count against next years cap. Could backfire drastically if Latrell was to get hurt badly. Souths the only winners with this contract.

This is a massive loss for us and I believe will have a roll on affect re recruitment… People can put any spin on it they like but this is highly embarrassing for WTs

It’s like history repeating itself. Lots of similarities

Greg Inglis signs on with South Sydney Rabbitohs for the next three seasons

Melbourne Storm captain Cameron Smith admitted being shocked but said he’d stand by Greg Inglis’ decision to dump Brisbane and agree terms with South Sydney.

The Rabbitohs announced on Friday that Inglis had signed a three-year deal with the NRL club, six days after Brisbane withdrew their $1.2 million offer.

Inglis expressed relief that the deal had finally been tied up.

“The past few months have been like a rollercoaster ride but now I can look forward to getting back into training and preparing for the new season,” Inglis said.

“This is an exciting time and I’m looking forward to pulling on the red and green jersey for the first time next year.”

Rabbitohs chief executive Shane Richardson added: “We’re looking forward to having Greg as part of our club for the next three seasons and we welcome him to the Rabbitohs family.”

Smith, Inglis’ former Melbourne team-mate, said he had no idea why the 23-year-old changed his mind on a move to the six-time premiers.

Inglis had shaken hands with Broncos officials on a deal last Friday, but after meeting with Souths 24 hours later, he stunned the club by reneging on his verbal agreement.

“To be honest, I was a bit shocked he turned down the Broncos’ offer to go to Sydney,” said Smith.

"When he decided he was going to leave our club he said he wanted to come back to Brisbane to be with his fiancee.

"He seemed quite happy with his decision to go to the Broncos and we were all convinced that’s where he was going.

“As a mate and a former teammate I’ll stand behind his decision to go to Sydney where he obviously feels he’s got better opportunities with the Rabbitohs.”

Smith was unsure how much sway interim world boxing champion and former NRL player Anthony Mundine had in influencing Inglis’ decision.

“Obviously he’s going to take some advice from him because Mundine is a successful person and they’ve got a connection both being indigenous people,” said Smith.

"I’ve also heard Russell Crowe is a pretty persuasive bloke and I’m pretty sure he would have been doing a bit of talking with Greg.

"Greg’s only a young bloke and he can change his mind on things quite quickly.

“But he’s also been around a while and he knows how to handle himself and he knows the consequences of making big decisions like that.”

Smith said he hadn’t been able to contact Inglis, who was in Melbourne to watch the Australian Masters.

“I haven’t seen any interviews or much that has been in the papers, but a few of the boys said he looked a bit rattled with all the attention he’s been getting the past week or so,” said Smith.

“I’d just like to speak to him as a mate and see how he is going and how he’s handling everything.”

NRL chief executive David Gallop insists Souths still need to prove Inglis fits under the salary cap before the deal can be ratified.

Gallop said Souths had yet to lodge the contract with salary cap auditor Ian Schubert.

“I am glad GI appears to have resolved his future, his situation has been unusual and unfortunately the root of that goes back to the massive unravelling of the cap breach at the Storm,” said Gallop.

"This is compounded by a pretty loose agreement with Brisbane over the payment of his legal fees, and once a contract is lodged we will consider it against Souths’ cap position.

"Clearly Souths will be aware that we’ll have look at that and also what he has been paid previously.

“Obviously if he was being lodged as being on the books at $100,000 then alarm bells will start ringing, but all of that is a standard part of the salary cap process and one we use for every club.”

Melbourne are still at loggerheads with Inglis over a legal bill for his successful defence of an assault charge from 2009.

last edited by Telltails

@innsaneink said in Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion:

This is a massive loss for us and I believe will have a roll on affect re recruitment… People can put any spin on it they like but this is highly embarrassing for WTs

Yep. We should have had him in the bag purely on the weight of our offer.

No matter what people thought of him as a person he would have made us a better side.

He’s entitled to do as he pleases and the sun won’t set but it is a seriously ordinary outcome for WT.

Think it’s a little disheartening to not get Latrell’s signature - as he is currently the world’s best centre - but I have faith this will not affect the club’s vision.

Just my 2 cents. I believe players feel our club has an incapacity to take care of all player needs.
The club’s image is the most important factor of recruitment and due to years of mismanagement and poor coach and player treatment, our brand is badly tainted. Despite our unlimited love as fans, we obviously still appear an unprofessional sporting organisation.
This is why we’re not very desirable (to players) unfortunately… and not because of Madge’s training methods or our current playing group.
But we already know this and the club just has to move forward and improve our marketability.

Well put mate

All of our own making going back to extremely poor retention decisions. If it wasn’t so bad you would laugh about it. One of our junior clubs produces two outstanding fullback talents and we don’t keep with either!

I wonder how Madge feels about the whole saga? I hope he isn’t getting too frustrated with the lack of pulling power our club has. Let’s just hope he digs in and can produce some results with this squad.

@Tcat said in Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion:

I wonder how Madge feels about the whole saga? I hope he isn’t getting too frustrated with the lack of pulling power our club has. Let’s just hope he digs in and can produce some results with this squad.

Pulling power is down to the coach.

@Cultured_Bogan said in Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion:

Yep. We should have had him in the bag purely on the weight of our offer.

No matter what people thought of him as a person he would have made us a better side.

He’s entitled to do as he pleases and the sun won’t set but it is a seriously ordinary outcome for WT.

Hopefully West’s Tigers learn something from this kick up the arse !?

Latrell is moving up in the world
He has gone from picking up CHOOK feed dropped from Brown paper bags to digging up Gold Carrots

Taking a $400,000 hit over 2 years and risking injury for a possible extra $2,000,000 lose just does not add up to me
I think he has received very bad advice if this is truly the case
I would like to know if anyone on this forum would personally risk that kind of money
He is gambling with $2,400,000
I would much rather have that in the bank and know I am financially set for the rest of my life
Then all the pressure is off and you can enjoy football again

100%.

Let’s be clear - I love the Tigers. Doesn’t mean I can’t be fed up. The club keep saying failure is not an option but EVERY SINGLE TIME we have a moment that needs winning - we fail. On and off the field. EVERY SINGLE TIME.

We need a HUGE signing before season kicks off but I reckon there’s stuff all chance of that.

@Tiger_Steve said in Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion:

100%.

Let’s be clear - I love the Tigers. Doesn’t mean I can’t be fed up. The club keep saying failure is not an option but EVERY SINGLE TIME we have a moment that needs winning - we fail. On and off the field. EVERY SINGLE TIME.

We need a HUGE signing before season kicks off but I reckon there’s stuff all chance of that.

Tim Sheens would have reeled him in for WTs.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.