Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion

@jirskyr said in Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion:

@innsaneink said in Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion:

This is a massive loss for us and I believe will have a roll on affect re recruitment… People can put any spin on it they like but this is highly embarrassing for WTs

If by roll-on effect you mean Tigers still have $1M to spend and Souths don’t, then sure. Don’t know what other roll-on you mean.

Gareth Widdop turned us down 2 years ago, is that embarrassing too?

Thing about Latrell is his Roosters money is being absorbed by the massive Roosters offer, and Souths have now spent all their Burgess money.

It leaves Tigers still as the only club at this time with big bucks to spend, until other clubs can clear rosters into 2021 and 2022. The Latrell situation shows you only need to wait for some big unexpected opportunities to arise. You never know which player might become available for those funds.

I said it just a minute ago, no idea why you would see this as embarrassing. You offered a guy money to join, he says no. I am pretty sure it happens very very often in foot.

Or to put it another way - we went down to the wire in a fight with another club for a star player signature. Nothing wrong with that. Last time we had a million spare in the cap, Cleary signed a bunch of players that didn’t really work out, and now 3 years later we are still paying these guys out to barely contribute to first grade. That is embarrassing.

Roosters now have $800,000 to spend since LM walked. How’s that work?

@pawsandclaws1 said in Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion:

All of our own making going back to extremely poor retention decisions. If it wasn’t so bad you would laugh about it. One of our junior clubs produces two outstanding fullback talents and we don’t keep with either!

I don’t understand this comment at all? Latrell signed on, apparently, for the opportunity to play fullback.

If we retained these mysterious outstanding fullback talents, we wouldn’t have had space for Latrell?

@Tiger_Steve said in Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion:

So what is the trend? You are an analyst.

The trend is we are 0 from 1 in attempting to sign Latrell Mitchells.

However knowing as you do that you need at least 3 for a trend, it’s just a single datapoint, not a trend.

Come on - that is seriously taking the piss. Is that the best trend you can come up with?
Mate, don’t get me wrong. You post great stuff but that response was less than convincing. I’ve said a million times that missing Mitchell is not the dominant issue. It’s losing clutch moments continuously. That is our dominant trend (in my humble opinion).
If we sign JAC tomorrow, we start to correct that negative trend.

@tigerballs said in Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion:

@Glenn5150 said in Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion:

@hobbo1 said in Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion:

@Newtown said in Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion:

Opinions to NRL players from two unhappy recent ex-Wests tigers together with some South Sydney players who had been coached by Madge may have had a lot to do with West Tigers recent unfair reputation.

Not having a crack at you Newtown but what do all those saying “we can’t attract players because Madge is too tough” suggest?

The day the club replaces a coach because he was “too tough “ on players is the day the club signs up for another decade of poor performance and my last day as a supporter

Souths did just that …
Sacked Maguire for Seibold !

They sacked him after 6 successful years which included a premiership. Form dropped, I could excuse that.

I hate to admit this but I’m related to a current Souths player and I asked him about Madge when he signed for the Tigers. He was full of praise and denied he was too hard. I can tell you the whole sorry saga surrounding his sacking, or rather the rise of Seibold if you’re interested.

PM me I would like to know 🤘

@Mossman said in Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion:

Opinions to NRL players from two unhappy recent ex-Wests tigers together with some South Sydney players who had been coached by Madge may have had a lot to do with West Tigers recent unfair reputation.

Not having a crack at you Newtown but what do all those saying “we can’t attract players because Madge is too tough” suggest?

The day the club replaces a coach because he was “too tough “ on players is the day the club signs up for another decade of poor performance and my last day as a supporter

Souths did just that …

They sacked him after 6 successful years which included a premiership. Form dropped, I could excuse that.

I hate to admit this but I’m related to a current Souths player and I asked him about Madge when he signed for the Tigers. He was full of praise and denied he was too hard. I can tell you the whole sorry saga surrounding his sacking, or rather the rise of Seibold if you’re interested.

Page 510

Souths did just that …

Someone on Facebook is claiming tigers have asked about Adam Douehis availability, ask him if that’s true

Not that much. The 800K offer was for 2021, so its not current money. Similarly Titans have fair cap space from Jai Arrow, but from 2021 not now.

In fact a lot of clubs have cap space coming up 2021, such is the cyclical nature of contracts.

Latrell signed his current extension in 2018, so he’s on the same contract as before they won a comp. Plus Roosters have already paid him some $120K for 2020, which counts against their cap.

Roosters also spent a lot of money re-signing key players this offseason, e.g. JWH and Taukeiaho, Joey Manu. A lot of that is probably Cooper Cronk’s money.

@yeahcaz said in Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion:

Souths did just that …

Someone on Facebook is claiming tigers have asked about Adam Douehis availability, ask him if that’s true

Newspaper (SMH) already said it was true. One report said Tigers made an inquiry that was denied, another report said Doueihi’s manager had yet to receive notice of interest.

Not that much. The 800K offer was for 2021, so its not current money. Similarly Titans have fair cap space from Jai Arrow, but from 2021 not now.

In fact a lot of clubs have cap space coming up 2021, such is the cyclical nature of contracts.

Latrell signed his current extension in 2018, so he’s on the same contract as before they won a comp. Plus Roosters have already paid him some $120K for 2020, which counts against their cap.

Roosters also spent a lot of money re-signing key players this offseason, e.g. JWH and Taukeiaho, Joey Manu. A lot of that is probably Cooper Cronk’s money.

Do you think they’ve got enough to top up Verrills or should we make him an offer for 2021?

So what is the trend? You are an analyst.

The trend is we are 0 from 1 in attempting to sign Latrell Mitchells.

However knowing as you do that you need at least 3 for a trend, it’s just a single datapoint, not a trend.

Come on - that is seriously taking the piss. Is that the best trend you can come up with?
Mate, don’t get me wrong. You post great stuff but that response was less than convincing. I’ve said a million times that missing Mitchell is not the dominant issue. It’s losing clutch moments continuously. That is our dominant trend (in my humble opinion).
If we sign JAC tomorrow, we start to correct that negative trend.

I agree on clutch moments, if you mean clutch moments on the field.

Signing Latrell, or not, isn’t a clutch moment at all. It’s a very long drawn-out affair. I am not aware of any trend of Tigers offering players a million bucks and being turned down. Not even privvy to the data about how many players Tigers have ever (or recently) made offers to and how successful we have been.

Recruitment is all shady talk anyway and almost no firm data, so you can’t really go building trends about recruitment.

Do you think they’ve got enough to top up Verrills or should we make him an offer for 2021?

Verrills for 2020, sure, we are deficient in hooker. Verrills for 2021, it’s too early IMO. And then what did we sign Jake Simpkin for, if not for 2021? Also Liddle.

Personally, I’d target Bronson Xerri, but he’s not off contract until end 2021, so we cannot formally approach him until November 2020.

last edited by jirskyr

@yeahcaz said in Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion:

Souths did just that …

I ask him about heaps of stuff and he doesn’t really know much except what’s going on at training. He was fairly certain early last week about LM, which I noted in this forum, but until then he was as clueless as the rest of us.

I think it was far more embarrassing offering the ridiculous money and 4 year deals to players that were clearly not worth it and have produced squat. At least Latrell is in his prime and we were in a position to have a crack.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.