Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion

@jadtiger said in Roosters pull Mitchell’s contract offer:

@formerguest said in Roosters pull Mitchell’s contract offer:

@Tiger_Steve said in Roosters pull Mitchell’s contract offer:

@Tiger_Steve said in Roosters pull Mitchell’s contract offer:

@bythebeardofzeus said in Roosters pull Mitchell’s contract offer:

@Ponyo said in Roosters pull Mitchell’s contract offer:

@bythebeardofzeus While I don’t disagree with the sentiment that we need more forwards, I’d argue that our backs let us down a bit last year, and it was D and the grit of our young forward pack that kept us in the hunt at the back-end of the season. The market is saturated, there aren’t too many forwards going around at the moment; unless of course, you’re willing to outbid, out-negotiate or pay to release a player contracted to another club (i.e. pay overs). There is no point carting it up the guts all day if you can’t score tries - an area where we’ve been a bit deficient in recently as our defence has tightened up. Who do you guys think would attract better talent & business opportunities to the club, Arrow, Frizell or Latrell? It’s a dead-set no brainer IMO. Latrell is available, on the market today, and we’re one of only 2/3 clubs who can fit him in TODAY. We have 5m in the bank for next year + a new state of the art COE. If that’s not attractive to prospective signings than I don’t know what to tell you guys anymore. Latrell is the franchise player this club has been waiting for since the big 4 fiasco, it’s not hard to see.

You raise some good points P.
No doubt Mitchell has done some great things, I just think we could put that $800k/$1 mil to much better use for our team. For me, our biggest problem this year was losing the ruck & thats what I’d like us to address first. We’ve got some good young forwards & its a shame about Matterson (not our fault obviously, i.e. he is dead to me) but we need a couple of aggressive, experienced hard heads to lead the way. Frizell, JWH, Brown would all be good additions. I just can’t see Mitchell solving our team’s current issues & if we have the same pack next year then would he be anywhere near as effective as he was with the Roosters?

Also lets not forget he was dropped from the Blues, is likely to be dropped from the Kangaroos after his recent shocker & the Roosters don’t want him. For me, way too many reasons not to sign him on big money.

Anyways it ain’t up to us, over to Madge…

Great post!
I’d love Mitchell- but on his own it would be the same as Tedesco. Just feed him the ball and hope.
We need tough, up front domination. Then we need fast ball and awareness from dummy half. Then we need quick play the balls. Then we use Latrell.

More thoughts on this:
Mitchell was so dynamic at Rorters because he had space and time. He had space because the Rorters forwards dominated the ruck and brought the defense towards the middle of the field. He had time because Cronk and/or Keary could shovel out exceptionally fast ball (their timing was exquisite).
He had additional time and space because defended were als looking at their rather well established fullback.

So in summation: we need more than Latrell

Or we can take the glass half full approach, which I am feeling tonight and imagine just how much more an already dangerous Garner would benefit from having Latrell as an option, even if he was playing next to him at centre. Not to mention the potential space that Brooks would have with only one player on him instead of being the main target.

Personally, I am just about salivating at the thought of having his ability as an attacking option and if he is switched on, for those old enough and you’re one, I expect Latrell could just about make an Ellery Hanley type difference to my team. Tedesco, whilst very good at what he does is the icing on a cake type player for mine, whereasa Mitchell can be the bulk of the cake and on his best days, provide the topping as well.

Ellery Hanley was playing behind half the Australian pack at Balmain(Pearce Blocker Sirro and Benny).Which Australian players do you see in WT current pack?I honestly dont believe you can make the comparison we need to get our forwards upgraded to give ant back a solid base to work off

Yes, he was playing behind a good pack as were some other very good backs, but was still good enough to make a difference when his pack only matched others, with missing him in the 88 GF thanks to Lamb and Farrar being a prime example. The thing that separated Hanley from his counterparts was his incredible core strength, plus how he and other rare players such as Inglis could draw on that impact. Latrell is one of those very few that also has this ability.

You only need to look at this past season, when upon our pack regularly getting in a reasonable attacking positions and even after Mats went down, all the times that we ended up putting up a controlling bomb upon showing little penetration. Basically, we had plenty of attacking opportunity, but generally didn’t convert them. Mitchell brings a missing dynamic that not only produces directly, but with the defensive attention that he attracts, it provides a flow on effect that allows others to shine. Maguire has already gotten the team to defend stoutly, which I fully expect to further improve and he now needs to further add to our attack.

I have absolutely no doubt that WT would have playing in the finals this year, possibly deep into them with Latrell in the side and expect that if we do get him, there will also be the addition of player/s up front that will cover for the departing Matterson and get us there next season.

Reports now floating around that the
@WestsTigers
have signed Latrell Mitchell on a deal worth $5.2 million over four years, starting in 2020.

An undoubted talent, but are the Tigers paying overs?

I dare say if the reports are true, we’ll see Mitchell at fullback on that coin.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jblesfooty224/status/1192969113410228224

@Madge said in Roosters pull Mitchell’s contract offer:

@WestsTigers
have signed Latrell Mitchell on a deal worth $5.2 million over four years, starting in 2020.

I dare say if the reports are true, we’ll see Mitchell at fullback on that coin.

I’d be ecstatic!

@WestsTigers

Geez! I want him at our club, but not that much as that figure seems unrealistic to me.

Triple M also reporting he has signed with the tigers on a 4 year deal commencing from 2020 on 1.3million a year.

@formerguest said in Roosters pull Mitchell’s contract offer:

@WestsTigers

Geez! I want him at our club, but not that much as that figure seems unrealistic to me.

I think overs is needed to get a genuine supetstar to the club and to turn this club around.

Definitely overs… But to attract a player like that to our club, it will have to take overs I guess.

If its true

Rip our money 🤣

That’s Immortal Money…

Heavy weight to carry…

We might have actually signed an international player… Super exciting

I fear he is too mentally unstable, if this is true I pray they put incentives/KPI in his contract based on performance for eg $800k base rate and balance based on his personal performance

last edited by Tiger_Bond

I hope its loaded with incentives. $1.3m per year is a big risk but he is a game breaker. Surely a TPA or two has been secured for this.

@Roar_Power how do you think he got the nice Benz😉😉

Also hope it not back loaded

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.