Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion

@Cultured_Bogan said in Roosters pull Mitchell’s contract offer:

@happy_tiger said in Roosters pull Mitchell’s contract offer:

@Cultured_Bogan said in Roosters pull Mitchell’s contract offer:

@GNR4LIFE said in Roosters pull Mitchell’s contract offer:

If he signs, i’ll have to look down to see cloud 9. However, what’s to stop him doing a Matterson in one or two years? Unless we back it up with some good players around him and we make the finals, that paranoia will always be in the back of my head.

Nothing stops him. Can’t not have a go. We’re a better chance with him than without him.

I’m with Gunners …if we don’t get results he has seen from the Cleary and Matterson screw ups how easy we are a get out of jail free club

Oh well why bother then. Why bother signing any talented juniors. Why bother having a dip at any half decent player, they will possibly leave.

In the next breath you’ll bash the club for sub par results. They can’t bloody win.

No

Fix the forwards first is all I have said since this chat started with the 1.7 million

@bptiger

What very good forwards are available as possible for next year?

We are better off signing a great back now and waiting until very good forwards become available.

Otherwise we sign a mediocre forward to fill the hole and then in two years when we are looking for backs no one will be available.

Reality is that Latrell is of a caliber that is rarely on the open market at a time when we are one of a few clubs that have salary cap space… sign him…

Our cap is the best it’s ever been I think…

Next year we clear out a lot of “dead wood” contracts and will have much of the 5 million available the papers have talked about, the year after that we will clear the Reynolds contract giving us more available space. Brooks the year after that… We are getting to a point that we can have major marquee signings every year for the next four years.

@bythebeardofzeus said in Roosters pull Mitchell’s contract offer:

@Ponyo said in Roosters pull Mitchell’s contract offer:

@bythebeardofzeus While I don’t disagree with the sentiment that we need more forwards, I’d argue that our backs let us down a bit last year, and it was D and the grit of our young forward pack that kept us in the hunt at the back-end of the season. The market is saturated, there aren’t too many forwards going around at the moment; unless of course, you’re willing to outbid, out-negotiate or pay to release a player contracted to another club (i.e. pay overs). There is no point carting it up the guts all day if you can’t score tries - an area where we’ve been a bit deficient in recently as our defence has tightened up. Who do you guys think would attract better talent & business opportunities to the club, Arrow, Frizell or Latrell? It’s a dead-set no brainer IMO. Latrell is available, on the market today, and we’re one of only 2/3 clubs who can fit him in TODAY. We have 5m in the bank for next year + a new state of the art COE. If that’s not attractive to prospective signings than I don’t know what to tell you guys anymore. Latrell is the franchise player this club has been waiting for since the big 4 fiasco, it’s not hard to see.

You raise some good points P.
No doubt Mitchell has done some great things, I just think we could put that $800k/$1 mil to much better use for our team. For me, our biggest problem this year was losing the ruck & thats what I’d like us to address first. We’ve got some good young forwards & its a shame about Matterson (not our fault obviously, i.e. he is dead to me) but we need a couple of aggressive, experienced hard heads to lead the way. Frizell, JWH, Brown would all be good additions. I just can’t see Mitchell solving our team’s current issues & if we have the same pack next year then would he be anywhere near as effective as he was with the Roosters?

Also lets not forget he was dropped from the Blues, is likely to be dropped from the Kangaroos after his recent shocker & the Roosters don’t want him. For me, way too many reasons not to sign him on big money.

Anyways it ain’t up to us, over to Madge…

Fair play. Hopefully we can have our cake and eat it too for once without having to always share with 15 other clubs. Either way, we have around 1.5m million to spend this year and 5m next year so here’s hoping we land some talent across the park. I’m pretty confident Madge has got an idea of who he wants & how he wants us to play moving forward but like you said it’s not up to us it’s up to the coach. Could be the start of something good if LM signs next week. May the dominos fall. Another point to make is that already contracted players should be theoretically playing out of their skins for upgrades you’d like to think - we should see a bit more competition.

last edited by Ponyo

@cochise said in Roosters pull Mitchell’s contract offer:

@innsaneink said in Roosters pull Mitchell’s contract offer:

@cochise said in Roosters pull Mitchell’s contract offer:

@innsaneink said in Roosters pull Mitchell’s contract offer:

@swag_tiger said in Roosters pull Mitchell’s contract offer:

Supporters say we need to go after well know first grade talent yet when we are rumored to be signing Mitchell they say this is utter rubbish and can’t spend that much of a player of his caliber.

It’s only hypocritical if it’s the same people… I see this comparison often from.some, yet I never see actual quotes… It’s just generalising

It’s not hypercritical even if it is the same people, it’s ok to want established stars but disagree on a salary point!

I for one though would be very happy if we get Latrell, just don’t think people are being hypercritical if they disagree.

You don’t get stars for nuffie prices… He is top level and will command top dollar… He is worth whatever the market is willing to pay… Taking assumed salaries from the media as gospel is foolish

I agree with you, but that doesn’t make those that disagree hypercritical.

I’m not sure, but I think ink was saying that some are being a little self righteous in their criticism (hypo) rather than overly critical (hyper)

Shame Proton are’nt still on board…Latrell would look good in a Jumbuck…

The SMH article isn’t saying we are offering anything like the amount mentioned on social media probably because no one actually knows.

Smh.

That will allow them (WTs) to pay Mitchell close to his asking price of $1 million in 2021 and 2022 should he sign on the dotted line.

The Tigers are proceeding with caution, however, as some within the club are yet to be convinced Mitchell’s obvious talent is worth the circus which has followed him for the past 12 months.
Equally, there are those at the Tigers who believe Mitchell is just the X-factor type player the club needs.

Roosters will let Latrell Mitchell walk but not to South Sydney, new report says
By WWOS staff
an hour ago

The Sydney Roosters are willing to let Latrell Mitchell walk out of the final year of his contract - but not to despised rival South Sydney, a new report says.

Mitchell had an $800,000 per-year contract offer withdrawn by the Roosters, who felt disrespected by his insistence on testing the market. The Test star would have been the highest-paid centre in the game by taking the Roosters’ offer.

It has been widely reported that Mitchell is unlikely to play for the Roosters again, despite winning consecutive premierships with the club. Frustrated coach Trent Robinson personally withdrew Mitchell’s extension offer, with the support of chairman Nick Politis.

The Sydney Morning Herald reports that the Roosters are prepared to let Mitchell leave early - but the Rabbitohs is a forbidden destination. The Herald said that the Roosters had spoken with Wests Tigers officials about a possible move for Mitchell. The Tigers recently lost Ben Matulino and Ryan Matterson from their salary cap, meaning they are cashed-up and prepared to pay Mitchell far more than the Roosters; though his deal would be back-ended to allow further cap clearing.

Mitchell would likely play fullback at the Tigers to justify a pay packet that could swell to an average of $1 million per season. No.1 is Mitchell’s preferred position, though he has risen to the top of the game as a centre and would need to improve his fitness to play fullback.

Some at the Tigers are wary of signing Mitchell, the Herald reports, due to the “circus” surrounding him. Gold Coast’s AJ Brimson has been flagged as another option.

Mitchell scored a hat-trick of tries against the Tigers in a stunning 26-point haul at the SCG this year; a performance that saw him branded perhaps the NRL’s best player. He is a sensational talent, though he would be an interesting fit with hardline coach Michael Maguire.

South Sydney have publicly ruled themselves out of chasing Mitchell, yet are still being touted as a possibility due to the star’s volatile management situation.

Newcastle have shown interest in Mitchell and are the closest club to his home town of Taree. North Queensland have also been touted as a possibility, but would need to end their interest in Valentine Holmes. The Bulldogs and Panthers have ruled themselves out.

Man the Roosters are smart.
So you have 4 or more Talented Forwards. One called Matterson seems to be better then the others. Yet this kid seems to be more money focused… He gets an offer from the Tigers and is let go!

Hire on attitude. The Roosters have signed their opposite center when he was cheap. They will have a cheapie talent, yes not as good as Latrell but cheap and ready to go.

We only have MOM who may have played with him once. No connection… Let him go.

Suspect Newcastle will sign him somehow. They must be thankful they have a performance based contracts.

@Bob said in Roosters pull Mitchell’s contract offer:

@bptiger

What very good forwards are available as possible for next year?

We are better off signing a great back now and waiting until very good forwards become available.

Otherwise we sign a mediocre forward to fill the hole and then in two years when we are looking for backs no one will be available.

Reality is that Latrell is of a caliber that is rarely on the open market at a time when we are one of a few clubs that have salary cap space… sign him…

Our cap is the best it’s ever been I think…

Next year we clear out a lot of “dead wood” contracts and will have much of the 5 million available the papers have talked about, the year after that we will clear the Reynolds contract giving us more available space. Brooks the year after that… We are getting to a point that we can have major marquee signings every year for the next four years.

Agree Bob, but I still wouldn’t mind picking up either Arrow or Frizell for next year as well, provided we don’t blow all of our cap space on Mitchell. They are two quality forwards who are available next year. I think it’s imperative we sign a forward or two now, particularly since the departure of Matterson, who was close to our best forward all this season. We have a fairly young pack in need of a dominant forward leader. I won’t be holding my breath waiting for Packer to step up, as I never really rated him in the first place.

If Matterson had stayed it might have been a different story, but you can’t let a player like him go and expect to replace him easily with someone from the lower grades. We definitely need an experienced prop and quality backrower now. How this can be done along with the signing of Mitchell, I don’t know, but I’m hoping the club will somehow find a way.

Reading Weidler this morning & watching WWOS I get the sense that there may be olive branches being tossed out by the club and Lattrell. I think the biggest thing that will determine whether he leaves or not is how serious he is about playing fullback or whether the roosters offer him the 5/8 role and halves money.

@Harvey god I hope we get him would be huge

@Harvey Love to have Latrell at our club but I think the rosters will sign him for 750k then leave the brow paper bags all over Bondi for him to pick up

@Goanna57 idk I think roosters are over him there is so much media and story’s about him all the time I think they see him as to much of a distraction

I’m really divided on this one as positives and negatives are lined up about equally, on both sides of the ledger.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.