Wests Tigers sign Brad Abbey

• @Geo Just going with what’s out there which definitely couldn’t be considered a reliable source, so your point is right for sure. We won’t know for sure until the club makes some form of announcement

• @happy_tiger said in Wests Tigers sign Brad Abbey:

So the 2020 signings so far are Billy Walters , Brad Abbey and a couple of Colts players from the Qld Cup

say something positive …say something positive …Ummmm

Most of them are from Queensland aren’t they?

• @tbones10 said in Wests Tigers sign Brad Abbey:

Even if its 100k, its still paying overs for an injury risk that has only played 13 first grade games in 3 years, didn’t play first grade at all last year and been released by two clubs ( no hint of scandal, just not good enough to keep). I truly hope that Brad has a sensational year and I end up with egg on my face.

Reminds me of the very similar start that Tedesco had to his career at WT.

• @sheer64 said in Wests Tigers sign Brad Abbey:

Well the only way were are ever going to find out is by signing him. If he is over his injuries he may be another teddy, who I also remember had knee issues.

They only sell half full schooners at Wests Tigers.

• @Harvey we still have room in the backline for another backline signing. Let’s see what unfolds, we don’t know what the club may or may not have lined up yet. When the roster is complete, I think we will be able to more objectively analyse the signings.

• Welcome Brad, Lets hope you make 1st grade & may you be injury free.

• @Harvey said in Wests Tigers sign Brad Abbey:

If we were starting from scratch and had no players signed, Abbey on 100k would be a good signing.

When we have 25 players signed to a 30 man roster, including 3 players signed as fullbacks (Mbye, Thompson, Smith) who have shown themselves to not be first grade standard in that position, signing another fringe fullback is a waste of a position. Even worse when they are coming off surgery.

Hirwoti has played every position in the backline, is younger, has more upside and is currently clubless, so would not be demanding a kings ransom.

This is my issue with the potential signing too. If he’s with the Magpies then great - no problem. But we have 3 backup fullbacks already in our top 30. If we want to sign a 4th then we need to let one of the first three go first.

He’s a small guy, 181cm, 90kgs, coming off 2 ACLs in 3 seasons. A project for the future is all well and good but someone like Hiroti is available and ready to contribute in first grade straight away, and participate in a full preseason training too.

• @balmain-boy said in Wests Tigers sign Brad Abbey:

@Harvey said in Wests Tigers sign Brad Abbey:

If we were starting from scratch and had no players signed, Abbey on 100k would be a good signing.

When we have 25 players signed to a 30 man roster, including 3 players signed as fullbacks (Mbye, Thompson, Smith) who have shown themselves to not be first grade standard in that position, signing another fringe fullback is a waste of a position. Even worse when they are coming off surgery.

Hirwoti has played every position in the backline, is younger, has more upside and is currently clubless, so would not be demanding a kings ransom.

This is my issue with the potential signing too. If he’s with the Magpies then great - no problem. But we have 3 backup fullbacks already in our top 30. If we want to sign a 4th then we need to let one of the first three go first.

He’s a small guy, 181cm, 90kgs, coming off 2 ACLs in 3 seasons. A project for the future is all well and good but someone like Hiroti is available and ready to contribute in first grade straight away, and participate in a full preseason training too.

He looks taller than that. Not sure about some of those ‘official’ stats. Could be wrong, but gee, it means some of those other blokes in that highlights reel are midgets!

• @yeti 183cm sorry. Not tiny, but about the same as Nof and Thompson. Not huge for a back these days…

Brad Abbey Mounties CC profile

• Good luck to the bloke. He looked a talent a few years ago but has had a bad run of injuries. Hopefully his fortunes take a turn for the better and he can press for a first grade spot.

• This post is deleted!

• If Madge likes the bloke (take it as read that due diligence has been done), than that’s good enough. My personal feelings were that there are other options to spend 100k on, mainly juniors. But if we are going outside the club, i hope that they have also looked at these two.
    Mawene Hiroti (bunnies) unsigned CC 2019 top try scored, second most goals and most line breaks
    Greg Lelsisiuao (parra) unsigned CC 2019 Most contact metres,most tackles breaks, most runs, most run meters, 2nd kick return meters and offloads

• @balmain-boy Is Thompson really 6 foot? I thought he was smaller than that.

• @tbones10 said in Wests Tigers sign Brad Abbey:

If Madge likes the bloke (take it as read that due diligence has been done), than that’s good enough. My personal feelings were that there are other options to spend 100k on, mainly juniors. But if we are going outside the club, i hope that they have also looked at these two.
    Mawene Hiroti (bunnies) unsigned CC 2019 top try scored, second most goals and most line breaks
    Greg Lelsisiuao (parra) unsigned CC 2019 Most contact metres,most tackles breaks, most runs, most run meters, 2nd kick return meters and offloads

The bloke from Parra Greg L was expected to have a breakout season and was picked to be a rookie sensation …

• @TillLindemann way smaller. 5’8-10 MAX. Abbey is 6’0-6’2 pay no mind to the stats.

Recent Topics