Qld / NSW bushfires

@coivtny said in Qld / NSW bushfires:

@formerguest Disagree.

You can disagree as much as you like, but that is not what I take issue with. Your personal attack was totally unwarranted and particularly so when I was stating facts in a pleasant manner.

@formerguest I’m going to have to agree with you on one thing. My choice of words was unwarranted and unnecessary. I allowed a major annoyance completely unrelated to the forum affect my mood and I agree the “village idiot” comment was not my finest moment. For that I unreservedly apologise.

@TheDaBoss said in Qld / NSW bushfires:

20191111_224223.jpg

Its sad

It is very sad, though for me in the light of the leader and relevant ministers of the federal government brushing aside former fire professionals approaches and warnings for months, and at the risk of upsetting others, the following is even more so
Screenshot_20191111-071325_Samsung Internet.jpg

@formerguest said in Qld / NSW bushfires:

20191111_224223.jpg

Its sad

It is very sad, though for me in the light of the leader and relevant ministers of the federal government brushing aside former fire professionals approaches and warnings for months, and at the risk of upsetting others, the following is even more so

There are people in the coalition who believe in climate change and are trying to change the direction of the government unfortunately they dont have enough support or power.The extreme right have far to much power and i doubt it will change in my lifetime.

FWIW, just looking out the window and the thick smoke that was so bad yesterday seems to be almost gone on the gold coast. Is this a sign of things improving across the board?

Today will be one of the hardest days in nsw fire finding history. It will be a hug relief if we come away without heavy loss today. I hope everyone has been taking the strong messaging and will not put themselves in harms way today. There will be no stopping fires that take hold today.

@shakey4d said in Qld / NSW bushfires:

Today will be one of the hardest days in nsw fire finding history. It will be a hug relief if we come away without heavy loss today. I hope everyone has been taking the strong messaging and will not put themselves in harms way today. There will be no stopping fires that take hold today.

The worst part of it is the fact that you know that some of it will be caused by human filth deliberately starting them.Stay safe everybody and follow instructions if you are affected

@jadtiger said in Qld / NSW bushfires:

@formerguest said in Qld / NSW bushfires:

20191111_224223.jpg

Its sad

There are people in the coalition who believe in climate change and are trying to change the direction of the government unfortunately they dont have enough support or power.The extreme right have far to much power and i doubt it will change in my lifetime.

Definitely and we as a nation were one day away from comprehensive policy being passed in the Senate. Trouble is on that day, Abbott, Abetz etcetera rolled Turnbull and the coalition have been destructive on the issue since.

last edited by formerguest

@rustycage said in Qld / NSW bushfires:

FWIW, just looking out the window and the thick smoke that was so bad yesterday seems to be almost gone on the gold coast. Is this a sign of things improving across the board?

Smoke very thick here in Port Macquarie visibility very low and no wind to speak of to move it. Hopefully the wind does not pick up as predicted as this will kick things off again.

@formerguest

Yeah every time there’s a fire you can always count on the Daily Telegraph brigade to blame “Greens for stopping backburning” even though the Greens have literally never been the government and never passed a law about anything, let alone backburning.

Backburning has never been been banned by anyone, ever. Least of all a tiny party that’s never been in power.

@coivtny

Mate there’s backburning going on in the Blue Mountains all the time. We get haze coming down from the mountains on a regular basis due to backburning.

These mythical Greens banning backburning don’t actually exist.

We can’t talk about neanderthals who think climate change is a big conspiracy because that’s getting ‘political’, but we can blame ‘greenies’ for imaginary things that have never actually happened.

@Spartan117 Hey Spartan, If you’re in the line of fire don’t get up on your roof with a hose to fight it. Bad idea. The smoke and radiant heat alone would be enough to disable you and if all your neighbours are also fighting the fire the local water pressure will drop.
A mate of mine was going to do that in the big Canberra fires a few years back. Luckily I phoned him before the fire got there.
A better thing to do is fill up the bath and every possible container you have with water well before the fire nears your place in case the pressure drops at the time.
If you decide to run, don’t leave it till the last minute. All the best.

last edited by NT_Tiger

@TillLindemann said in Qld / NSW bushfires:

@coivtny

Mate there’s backburning going on in the Blue Mountains all the time. We get haze coming down from the mountains on a regular basis due to backburning.

We can’t talk about neanderthals who think climate change is a big conspiracy because that’s getting ‘political’, but we can blame ‘greenies’ for imaginary things that have never actually happened.

There hasn’t been much this year Till. There was plenty last year at Faulconbridge, Linden and Eastern side of Woodford. If there was hazard reduction burning this year it wasn’t expansive.

@TillLindemann said in Qld / NSW bushfires:

@coivtny

I did actually look at the Greens NSW policy on backburning and it’s actually pretty sensible. Nowhere does it say that backburning and hazard reduction shouldn’t take place to protect assets and they acknowledge it is important for certain plant species for burning to take place. Not sure whether that is reflected at local or federal level but at state level at the very least they have a pretty reasonable policy. They do not oppose bushfire management strategies, and even engage with the Indigenous as they have 40,000 years experience with bush management.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme