Hands off, Latrell! Tigers fullback Corey Thompson warns target Mitchell off his No.1 Jersey

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/teams/tigers/hands-off-latrell-tigers-fullback-corey-thompson-warns-target-mitchell-off-his-no-1-jersey/news-story/ff877e142b3c35e1237390d05d4702ce

Wests Tigers fullback Corey Thompson says he’s up for the fight to retain his No. 1 jersey if the Tigers’ bid to lure Latrell Mitchell to Concord is successful.

The Tigers are reportedly preparing a $3 million, three-year deal to land Mitchell after the Sydney Roosters rescinded an $800,000 contract offer to the superstar centre. Mitchell is apparently keen on switching to fullback if he joins the Tigers. Thompson said the club would welcome Mitchell with “open arms” but he won’t be giving up his fullback position without a fight.

“If Latrell put his mind to it he could kill it at any position but I played there last year and I’m looking forward to playing there again next year,” the 29-year-old told AAP.

“I’m always ready for a good fight for a position.

“When Latrell comes he’ll be a great weapon for us.” The Tigers’ big-money bid for Mitchell comes following Ryan Matterson’s controversial transfer from the Tigers to Parramatta.

Just a year into a $1 million three-year deal with the Tigers, Matterson’s move to the Eels as well as Mitchell’s falling out with the Roosters has sparked a debate about the value of NRL players’ contracts.

NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg said the league was in negotiations with the Rugby League Players Association over the issue.

“We’ve been very forthright to the players association and the players themselves about changing some of the player contracting model,” Greenberg said. “That’s been rejected by the players association.

“We’re in discussions with them again about how we bring some of those changes to the fore in 2020. It’s an open discussion, we’ve got some strong views on improving the system to change some of these things.”

The RLPA can do one! They don’t care about the welfare of the game at all and are in it for themselves

Greenberg is such a fraud. Talks big - does nothing. Piss off Todd. We’re all over your inept management!!

Someone tell Corey he’s dreaming.

Why on earth does this need its own thread when there’s already a latrell thread?

Sport and being successful is all about backing yourself and having the right attitude

He occasionally has brain farts , but I’d never question his desire and attitude and if he is right and can defend his position we will be in a very , very good place in 2020 if Latrell does the only right thing

That is after Taumalolo , Cam Murray , Jai Arrow and Klemmer all do the right thing and sign minimum wage deals with the WT’s for 2020 and beyond and are locked up tighter than Geo’s bum

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.