Should we frontend this year?

Anyone else sick of Coming 9th?

Every season we make this recruitment bolt, we get enough players to get over the line… We make a dash and we just miss the top 8 (or worse). What’s the point!

Yes, everyone I know is tired of hearing about another “team building” year. I am too. But have we truly had one? We seem to do this massive bolt for each year to just scrape, out of the finals.

Lets aim to come 14 this year. Yes 14th. We frontend a few contracts we sign. Only hire people who will peak in 2-3 years time. Free up our cap space in 2021/2022 so that we are actually competitive. Meanwhile we fill any gaps with 80k juniors and give them a shot at first grade? Then by 2021/2022 we will have the cash to get good players where we need them.

@crazycat said in Should we frontend this year?:

Anyone else sick of Coming 9th?

Every season we make this recruitment bolt, we get enough players to get over the line… We make a dash and we just miss the top 8 (or worse). What’s the point!

Yes, everyone I know is tired of hearing about another “team building” year. I am too. But have we truly had one? We seem to do this massive bolt for each year to just scrape, out of the finals.

Lets aim to come 14 this year. Yes 14th. We frontend a few contracts we sign. Only hire people who will peak in 2-3 years time. Free up our cap space in 2021/2022 so that we are actually competitive. Meanwhile we fill any gaps with 80k juniors and give them a shot at first grade? Then by 2021/2022 we will have the cash to get good players where we need them.

No thanks.

Your ideas are intriguing and I wish to subscribe to your news letter

What’s it with me and all the Simpsons references atm

How about we aim for a premiership eh

14 is one of my lucky numbers

Why not

@crazycat said in Should we frontend this year?:

Meanwhile we fill any gaps with 80k juniors and give them a shot at first grade?

Minimum wage was $105000 in 2019 and I think it is higher in 2020!

@TheDaBoss oh that’s what we have been doing wrong all those years 😉

@happy_tiger said in Should we frontend this year?:

Why not

Happy is that where your horse finished? 😂

Good post @crazycat

I am 100% with you.

We either find 2 genuine team changing players now (a forward and a fullback preferably) who could make us contenders and build a team around…

or we front load and bring juniors in.

I would honestly be happy to come 14th if our team was full of rising stars and we used our money to clear some of our over paid barnacles.

For me 1 horrible year is better than another 5 years of finishing 6th -10th.

Take the pain

@sheer64 said in Should we frontend this year?:

@happy_tiger said in Should we frontend this year?:

Why not

Happy is that where your horse finished? 😂

Roulette number , had a real good night at the GC hitting 14/17

I think it’s too late to do this. The fans won’t hang around if we have a mud year.

Honestly, I don’t mind coming 9th every year. Kind of funny at this point, almost like a drug to me. You get the sweet sensation, “oh! our team is good again. I’m alive.”, followed by, in either round 24 or 25, “haha, that’s right. we actually suck. see you again in a year to do it all again”. Inject that ninthstacy right into my veins.

Only time i would front end is when its a player we want to get rid of, e.g Packer is on 600k, front end to 1m this year and 200k the year after to reflect his actual value…

If you front end LM for example, his value will increase immensely on his next deal and you would struggle to find space for him in your cap…

Only do it to clean up your cap

Don’t think front loading is the strategy.
Taken from an article in The Age today:

“The club is on the verge of achieving some great success over the next few years,” Hagipantelis told the Herald.

“No doubt about it [playing finals] is all that remains now. We have the right premiership-winning coach, we have a great roster we are looking to supplement during the off-season and a very talented and successful board. All the ingredients are there for a successful 2020.

“We think 2020 will represent a top-eight berth, I have no doubt about that. This club has enormous potential, the foundations have been established.

“There are no more excuses, this is the time to deliver.”

@Ponyo I dont expect this team to deliver in 2020 but remain competitive. No excuses from 2021 and more so 2022 in my opinion.

We made bad choices in the past that have had a lag effect on our results. Aim high now with good choices and the performance lag will be what we all want to see in the next couple of years.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.