We need a recruitment 'win'...

Getting off LM for a bit and focusing on the bigger picture, we really do need a ‘win’ somewhere in terms of recruiting.

I love Madge, but it is well known Crowe and Richardson did most of Souths recruitment.

At this stage we have targeted
Arrow
Lomax
Mitchell
Tetevano
Brimson
Leulia
Moylan
Milford
(All confirmed by the Pom, coach or ceo)

Updated list: we missed un Sami and Capewell also.

And have landed none so far officially…

Throw in DWZ last season and it is fair to say there is a developing trend. Throw in also our best player / recruit for 2018 wanted out.

We need to land one big fish, and hopefully others will follow. Madge has a rep as someone who flogs them and is strict, positive attributes in our eyes…but not always from a player’s perspective.

It is rare for a club to have a ton of cap space and not land anyone. The next week or two will say a lot about how player’s perceive us.

last edited by ElleryHanley
👍

@ElleryHanley said in We need a recruitment 'win'...:

Getting off LM for a bit and focusing on the bigger picture, we really do need a ‘win’ somewhere in terms of recruiting.

I love Madge, but it is well known Crowe and Richardson did most of Souths recruitment.

At this stage we have targeted
Arrow
Lomax
Mitchell
Tetevano
Brimson
Leulia
Moylan
Milford
(All confirmed by the Pom, coach or ceo)

And have landed none so far officially…

Throw in DWZ last season and it is fair to say there is a developing trend. Throw in also our best player / recruit for 2018 wanted out.

We need to land one big fish, and hopefully others will follow. Madge has a rep as someone who flogs them and is strict, positive attributes in our eyes…but not always from a player’s perspective.

It is rare for a club to have a ton of cap space and not land anyone. The next week or two will say a lot about how player’s perceive us.

Tetevano and Brimson have signed elsewhere - all the rest are still available.

We had but didn’t get DWZ because we didn’t have the money.

Can’t see your point - I think you have well and truly jumped the gun.

Our club is a place to retire, get that last contract before you sail off into retirement.
Over 30’s only need apply.

These guys listed are too young to fit our recruitment criteria.

😂

Sadly I think Ellery is on the money…but I hope we are both wrong. It seems a struggle to lure established talent. I fear they look at us as a team that makes up 9-16 and will limit their earnings in the representative space. Seems many players can’t see a couple of years past today either because the COE will be a game changer for us.

Some forumers are right though - we aren’t far off becoming consistent top 8’ers. We have some good talent but need 4-5 upgrades in important positions. Lower grade quality has increased tenfold this year.

Moving in the right direction but there will be some pain on the way. Madge and co are the right people for the job!

@ElleryHanley yep, pretty much my thoughts too.

@Roar_Power said in We need a recruitment 'win'...:

Sadly I think Ellery is on the money…but I hope we are both wrong. It seems a struggle to lure established talent. I fear they look at us as a team that makes up 9-16 and will limit their earnings in the representative space. Seems many players can’t see a couple of years past today either because the COE will be a game changer for us.

Some forumers are right though - we aren’t far off becoming consistent top 8’ers. We have some good talent but need 4-5 upgrades in important positions. Lower grade quality has increased tenfold this year.

Moving in the right direction but there will be some pain on the way. Madge and co are the right people for the job!

Yes, we just need to land that one big fish that attracts others.

In an ideal world Tedesco and Woods would have stayed and been leaders, rep players who attracted others like Gallen did for the Sharks.

last edited by ElleryHanley

In an ideal world Tedesco and Woods would have stayed and been leaders, rep players who attracted others like Gallen did for the Sharks.

The only thing Gallan attracts is flies

😂

@Tiger_Steve said in We need a recruitment 'win'...:

The only thing Gallan attracts is flies

He is a fly lol

iam starting to wonder if madge has any pulling power at all, 1st he let DWZ GO TO THE DOGS yet he was the one who gave him his start with the NZ TEAM. NOW we have missed tetevano to the panthers, and again it was madge who gave him a start in the NZ team. u would think he would have had the inside running on both players. lomax was another who was said to be high on our want list yet he looks like signing with the knights. it just does not look like madge can pull a beer never mind pull some class players.

🤔😂

@bptiger I can’t state for a fact but my memory was at the time DWZ became available we didn’t have money so it would have been on a wing and prayer if we were to sign him with a back ended contract.

@TCL said in We need a recruitment 'win'...:

@bptiger I can’t state for a fact but my memory was at the time DWZ became available we didn’t have money so it would have been on a wing and prayer if we were to sign him with a back ended contract.

YES ur right but we new we would have money next year and we could have signed him on a small amount and then up his money over the next 2-3 years.

@bptiger said in We need a recruitment 'win'...:

iam starting to wonder if madge has any pulling power at all, 1st he let DWZ GO TO THE DOGS yet he was the one who gave him his start with the NZ TEAM. NOW we have missed tetevano to the panthers, and again it was madge who gave him a start in the NZ team. u would think he would have had the inside running on both players. lomax was another who was said to be high on our want list yet he looks like signing with the knights. it just does not look like madge can pull a beer never mind pull some class players.

Madge def needs to land a big name.

People say we would not afford DWZ, but if he really wanted to come he could easily have taken a back ended deal. Instead he went to the team coming last, to be coached by Dean Pay. That said a lot.

As I said, I love Madge…but he needs to land someone. Once he lands one, the rest may come quickly.

Being flogged is not something players actively seek…so we need one big name to stand up and lead the way. Who it will be, I have no idea.

But we need one badly.

🎅👍

I think blaming Madge for our inability to attract quality players is ignoring the black white and gold elephant in the room

🤔

I think blaming Madge for our inability to attract quality players is ignoring the black white and gold elephant in the room

u cant get away from the fact he is the face of the wests tigers, I know from when I coached a-grade and I wanted a player it was my pitch which either got him or not, it also had something to do with money as well lol. but when u are the face of the team it comes down to u.

@bptiger said in We need a recruitment 'win'...:

u cant get away from the fact he is the face of the wests tigers, I know from when I coached a-grade and I wanted a player it was my pitch which either got him or not, it also had something to do with money as well lol. but when u are the face of the team it comes down to u.

We don’t exactly have a history of successful recruitment. That’s not him. We haven’t succeeded on field for 11 years. He’s only 1/11 to blame for that.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Go to https://weststigersforum.com/reset to reset your password, otherwise send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.