Excerise Advice/Discussion

So, 18 months ago, I was pretty much at rock bottom physically. My diet was pure rubbish, without any excersing. Constantly felt lethargic, i’d be sitting at my desk at work, and have chest pains. This was probably going on for a good 3 to 4 years. I intermittently would go on health kicks, but they would only ever last a week until I’d fall back into old habits. Then I remember waking up one day in July last year, I’d just had a dream where I felt physically like crap, and something inside me snapped. It was like even in my sleep, I could not escape. I realised I was a food addict, and I needed to change. I’d not long turned 30, so i was getting older and so I needed to clean up my act.

I remember for days, maybe weeks, i didn’t put any sugar in my body. Probably was the hardest thing i’ve ever done. However I noticed a change physically, and after a week or two I worked up the courage to get on the scales. Something I hadn’t done in a couple of years. I was 111kgs. That was up from about 102 3 or 4 years earlier, which was up from about 90, 6 or 7 years before that. Once I got over over the intitial sugar withdrawal, my diet became easier. By Xmas last year I was down to 100. I started excersing to, but I noticed I’d stopped losing weight. I wasn’t gaining any, but I was plateauing, so I stopped. After Xmas I started losing more, eventually getting down to 94-95.

The last couple months I’ve really gotten inspired to start excersing again. I walk most days, and do chunks of running. I’m currently 97-99. I find i’ve been adding weight, would this be muscle? My diet is pretty steady. I treat myself, but I try to eat responsibly. I just wonder why excersing as much as I do, why the scales don’t drop.

Sorry for the long read, it’s not meant to be a brag post. I just know how bad it makes you feel to not have a great diet. If anyone is struggling, I feel like i’m proof, that if I can turn things around, anyone can.

If anyone has some tips on things I can do with my routine to keep trimming down, it would be much appreciated.

✌

@GNR4LIFE said in Excerise Advice/Discussion:

If anyone has some tips on things I can do with my routine to keep trimming down, it would be much appreciated.

Diet and weight is complex and personal. These are a few observations I’ve made over the years.

You can’t just reduce calories. Eventually your body realises what’s happening and your metabolism slows to adapt (why people ‘plateau’). Interestingly, this is why intermittent fasting works and overall calorie reduction only works initially.

Fats are not your enemy. Lots of dieters make the mistake of eliminating almost all fat from their diet.
You need fat to be healthy. You need to be healthy to lose weight and keep it off. Most people don’t eat enough fat/protein and eat too many carbs. Low fat almost always means high sugar and should be avoided. The only carbs to go hard on are non-starchy vegies. The best fats are things like avocado, olive oil and nuts.

You eat 21 meals a week - aim for 18 of them to be good. The other three will keep you sane.

Only eat to 80% full - don’t bloat yourself. Drink plenty of water. Snack on nuts and berries.

Sometimes you can’t control exercise, time, work, family etc but you have absolute control over what goes in your mouth - and that’s what counts.

And for reference, I’m in my sixties and around 79kg. When I was a young athlete I was around 74kg.

@GNR4LIFE said in Excerise Advice/Discussion:

So, 18 months ago, I was pretty much at rock bottom physically. My diet was pure rubbish, without any excersing. Constantly felt lethargic, i’d be sitting at my desk at work, and have chest pains. This was probably going on for a good 3 to 4 years. I intermittently would go on health kicks, but they would only ever last a week until I’d fall back into old habits. Then I remember waking up one day in July last year, I’d just had a dream where I felt physically like crap, and something inside me snapped. It was like even in my sleep, I could not escape. I realised I was a food addict, and I needed to change. I’d not long turned 30, so i was getting older and so I needed to clean up my act.

I remember for days, maybe weeks, i didn’t put any sugar in my body. Probably was the hardest thing i’ve ever done. However I noticed a change physically, and after a week or two I worked up the courage to get on the scales. Something I hadn’t done in a couple of years. I was 111kgs. That was up from about 102 3 or 4 years earlier, which was up from about 90, 6 or 7 years before that. Once I got over over the intitial sugar withdrawal, my diet became easier. By Xmas last year I was down to 100. I started excersing to, but I noticed I’d stopped losing weight. I wasn’t gaining any, but I was plateauing, so I stopped. After Xmas I started losing more, eventually getting down to 94-95.

The last couple months I’ve really gotten inspired to start excersing again. I walk most days, and do chunks of running. I’m currently 97-99. I find i’ve been adding weight, would this be muscle? My diet is pretty steady. I treat myself, but I try to eat responsibly. I just wonder why excersing as much as I do, why the scales don’t drop.

Sorry for the long read, it’s not meant to be a brag post. I just know how bad it makes you feel to not have a great diet. If anyone is struggling, I feel like i’m proof, that if I can turn things around, anyone can.

Mate I’m same as you. Almost exactly - just a bit older. I played heaps of footy, ran heaps and did weights. When I stopped training my food intake continued. I still love a drink!
I’ve trained hard, run heaps, done protein slaked, dieted etc all my life. When I’m fit I’m 90kg but can blow out to 106 easily. Now I’m 52 years old and have maintained 92-95kg for past few years. How? Yoga. I do hot yoga - sometimes Bikram (it strips the weight off) but mostly hot vinyasa flow. I am as fit and healthy as ever. Give it a go!

I guess I’m lucky I have a metabolism like Hodgo and have always done physical labouring work.
Ex Smoker nearly 17 years durry free but noticing with all the bushfire smoke lately I’m struggling bit breathing wise.

Maybe try taking up a sport GnRs? Soccer? Touch footy? Swimming is good

Do intermittent fasting (16:8 or more if you can handle it) & drink lots of black coffee to suppress hunger. Exercise while fasted (preferably body weight exercises like pull ups, muscle ups, push ups, burpees etc.) The fasted exercise is very effective at promoting growth & burning fat - it stimulates HGH production.

If someone can come up with a way to lose weight while you can still drink beer then I’m in… and I’m talking about a decent drink .

😂

Wow, my type of thread…

Something we should all understand is everybody’s body is different and what works for some may not work for all of us.

Everything that is good for us is stuff we’ve been told our whole life. Moving the body is the best thing you can do with it, everything in moderation, eat healthy, etc. All common stuff we all already know but don’t do because of lifestyle, discipline, etc.

You’ve already made good moves dropping the sugar and going for walks, etc.

In my opinion the best form of cardio is boxing. I really recommend you take a few classes, learn technique and buy yourself a heavy bag and a skip rope. Try and make exercise enjoyable for yourself. You can skip as a warm up and do rounds of bag work and you’ll burn a lot of calories.

Diet is important no matter what. Keto is the hype thing at the moment. Try it and see if you like it. You know what food is good for you. Avoid sugars and fast foods. Make clean healthy choices. Takes discipline but you can make things enjoyable. Learn to count calories, macros… there is apps out there. If you want to lose weight you have to be in a caloric deficit.

As men as we get older the testosterone drops and this effects our muscle growth. If you’re in the position, join a gym. You can do so many kinds of routines from powerlifting , push pull legs splits, bro splits, etc. 3 days a week is a great start… legs and shoulders day 1, chest and back day 2 and bis and tris (arms) day 3… Make it enjoyable. Bench press is the key for us men to avoid man boobz.

Rest is important too. Get your sleep under control. Make sure you get 8 hours a night. If you struggle I recommend a supplement called ZMA, can be picked up for cheap and really helped me with sleep.

Drink lots of water.

Supplements can help a lot too. Creatine is the best and most researched. A good one if you’re weight lifting. Zma helps with sleep. Fish oil tablets good for the joints. Multivitamin always good. A post workout protein shake that isn’t a ridiculous mass gainer can help with recover. Do your research but don’t go throwing cash at stuff you don’t need.

Excercise can be fun when u make it fun. Get your partner involved. I love fitness and I’ve been in the gym putting in work for 13 years.

Get healthy fellas.

👍

@Nelson said in Excerise Advice/Discussion:

Do intermittent fasting (16:8 or more if you can handle it) & drink lots of black coffee to suppress hunger. Exercise while fasted (preferably body weight exercises like pull ups, muscle ups, push ups, burpees etc.) The fasted exercise is very effective at promoting growth & burning fat - it stimulates HGH production.

Big fan of intermittent fasting and fasting in general.

I’m a shift worker so intermittent fasting works well with my lifestyle.
You have to ensure when it’s your eating window - you eat clean, healthy stuff and not binge with sweets, etc.

I read some scientific research that a 3 day fast can re-set your immune system.
Whenever I am unwell - I do this however I’m usually much better after 24 hours so have never had to do the 3 days but have a close friend who swears by it and has done as much as a week long fast.

For those unaware intermittent fasting is getting all your calories in the one window instead of spaced out across 3 meals a day - I am friends with a nutritionist and she said it isn’t better or worse however I know I like being hungry, working out on an empty stomach and getting in healthy calories in the one meal. Worth a try for anyone liking the sound of it - however discuss with your health professional first and all that stuff.

Eat less more often , exercise is 80% of weight loss , try and eat your last meal as early as possible and watch your portion sizes

Your meat portion should be no bigger than the palm of your hand but load up on veges / salads

It’s not for everyone,and gets a bad wrap,but cycling is a great way to get outside and burn calories quickly 🤘🏽

@happy_tiger said in Excerise Advice/Discussion:

Eat less more often , exercise is 80% of weight loss , try and eat your last meal as early as possible and watch your portion sizes

Your meat portion should be no bigger than the palm of your hand but load up on veges / salads

If you pay to see a dietician or a nutritionist they will tell you exactly this.
Keep the potatoes, bread to a minimum and avoid completely if you can.

Portion control is very important.
Don’t eat till you’re bloated-full.

I’ve recently started avoiding foods that I know make me feel bad.
Pizza, pasta, etc…
Always feel bloated and unwell after these.

Aim to only put good stuff in your body.
Know when to stop.

You can find weight loss or muscle building meal plans online.
You’ll find it’s exactly what you’d expect it to be.

@Demps said in Excerise Advice/Discussion:

If you pay to see a dietician or a nutritionist they will tell you exactly this.

Pizza, pasta, etc…

Know when to stop.

I was told exactly that by a nutritionist 😂
I find having a carbless dinner really early and not eating till breakfast the next morning keeps my guts to a minimum 👌🏽

@Demps said in Excerise Advice/Discussion:

Pizza, pasta, etc…

Know when to stop.

And lastly …you’d be surprised how being in a good head space helps weight loss

The amount of people who use food as their drug/addiction of choice is growing

😞😋👍

If you want to lose weight and be healthy eat a whole food plant based diet. I don’t do this to anywhere near the level I should but there is a tonne of evidence a diet predominantly based on unprocessed plant foods is the healthiest diet for humans.

You will lose weight and put the odds in your favor in relation to not developing a huge number of illnesses such as cancer and all sorts of cardiovascular diseases.

You don’t have to be vegan but meat should be eaten sparingly.

Whatever you do stay away from any high meat/low carb diet. It’s really bad for you.

https://nutritionfacts.org/

last edited by Earl

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.