NRL star Luke Garner told to ‘eat dirty’

AAP
news.com.auDECEMBER 6, 20198:49AM

Stacking on the kilos by eating clean hasn’t worked for Wests Tigers star Luke Garner, so he’s being forced to gorge on junk food instead.

An aversion to indulgent foods is not a common problem among NRL athletes but Wests Tigers second-rower Luke Garner is struggling to “eat dirty” to gain weight. He’s tried it the right way, by eating larger volumes of “clean” foods, but on his trainer’s advice he has been forced to attempt a diet of pizza, burgers and ice cream to increase his size.

The 24-year-old back-rower weighs almost 100kg but he has representative ambitions for 2020 and beyond. And to achieve them, he needs to size up.

“First of all I’ve got to put on a little more weight. I’m a bit light for a back-rower now at 98, 99 kilos,” he said. “I’ve got three or four more I want to put on. “It’s so hard to put on weight because I don’t like eating too dirty. “I spoke to the trainer the last week and he said, ‘You have to eat dirty’.

"Over the weekend I just had chocolate, pizzas and burgers. I put on a little — about a kilo-and-a-half — but there’s more to go. “It’s not the worst situation to be in.”

Leading into the festive season, NRL players tend to avoid “I’ve been trying to put on weight for the past couple of years, and that’s been by eating clean, and I just can’t do it,” he said.“Maybe eating dirty might be the way.”

Garner made his NRL debut with the Tigers last year and had a breakout season in 2019, with seven tries in 14 games to establish a place in the pack.He recently signed a contract extension for a further two years, until the end of 2022, but will need to compete for a starting position on an edge with new recruit Luciano Leilua and Michael Chee Kam.

Still, he is amazed at what he has been able to achieve. “I looked back in the off-season and came to the realisation of what happened,” he said. “I was very happy with how my year went.

“I’m pretty excited to take that further into 2020 and hopefully my goal is to play representative football at some stage.”

I can’t believe, in this age of health awareness, and all the professional guidelines as to how to add weight healthily, that a staff of the WT would simply say : eat dirty!

That will do me.

He should load up on supplements and hope the drug testers don’t turn up.

I am sure Dr Dank could give him better advice.

@tiger_one said in NRL star Luke Garner told to ‘eat dirty’:

I can’t believe, in this age of health awareness, and all the professional guidelines as to how to add weight healthily, that a staff of the WT would simply say : eat dirty!

That will do me.

Yup. When we’re wrong, we are wrong.

Pretty sure saw him at beach today definitely plays above his weight.

@Go_You_Good_Things said in NRL star Luke Garner told to ‘eat dirty’:

That will do me.

What else do u do if you can’t put on weight.

@Newtown said in NRL star Luke Garner told to ‘eat dirty’:

AAP

Stacking on the kilos by eating clean hasn’t worked for Wests Tigers star Luke Garner, so he’s being forced to gorge on junk food instead.

An aversion to indulgent foods is not a common problem among NRL athletes but Wests Tigers second-rower Luke Garner is struggling to “eat dirty” to gain weight. He’s tried it the right way, by eating larger volumes of “clean” foods, but on his trainer’s advice he has been forced to attempt a diet of pizza, burgers and ice cream to increase his size.

The 24-year-old back-rower weighs almost 100kg but he has representative ambitions for 2020 and beyond. And to achieve them, he needs to size up.

“First of all I’ve got to put on a little more weight. I’m a bit light for a back-rower now at 98, 99 kilos,” he said. “I’ve got three or four more I want to put on. “It’s so hard to put on weight because I don’t like eating too dirty. “I spoke to the trainer the last week and he said, ‘You have to eat dirty’.

"Over the weekend I just had chocolate, pizzas and burgers. I put on a little — about a kilo-and-a-half — but there’s more to go. “It’s not the worst situation to be in.”

Leading into the festive season, NRL players tend to avoid “I’ve been trying to put on weight for the past couple of years, and that’s been by eating clean, and I just can’t do it,” he said.“Maybe eating dirty might be the way.”

Garner made his NRL debut with the Tigers last year and had a breakout season in 2019, with seven tries in 14 games to establish a place in the pack.He recently signed a contract extension for a further two years, until the end of 2022, but will need to compete for a starting position on an edge with new recruit Luciano Leilua and Michael Chee Kam.

Still, he is amazed at what he has been able to achieve. “I looked back in the off-season and came to the realisation of what happened,” he said. “I was very happy with how my year went.

“I’m pretty excited to take that further into 2020 and hopefully my goal is to play representative football at some stage.”

98 for back row is tiny isn’t it?

@tony-soprano said in NRL star Luke Garner told to ‘eat dirty’:

@Newtown said in NRL star Luke Garner told to ‘eat dirty’:

AAP

98 for back row is tiny isn’t it?

It’s on the smaller side, but it’s not tiny. Plenty play around the 100kg mark or just above. Some play much smaller like Murray and Radley.

iam glady to see that he has been told to get on to my diet, have been on it for some years now and can play at 120kg, with xmas here I think I can shovel on a few more kgs and start the season on about 126kg. LOL MERRY XMAS ALL AND A HAPPY NEY YEAR, GO THE MIGHTY TIGERS.

@bptiger said in NRL star Luke Garner told to ‘eat dirty’:

iam glady to see that he has been told to get on to my diet, have been on it for some years now and can play at 120kg, with xmas here I think I can shovel on a few more kgs and start the season on about 126kg. LOL MERRY XMAS ALL AND A HAPPY NEY YEAR, GO THE MIGHTY TIGERS.

I hope this means your 7 foot tall!

@tony-soprano said in NRL star Luke Garner told to ‘eat dirty’:

@Go_You_Good_Things said in NRL star Luke Garner told to ‘eat dirty’:

That will do me.

What else do u do if you can’t put on weight.

Sorry Tony, you are talking to the wrong bloke about not being able to put on weight. 😀

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.