Fishing Thread

Official thread for happy to brag about his 5m bares and 3 metre flattie…

last edited by TheDaBoss

Belongs in General discussion -------------------------------------->

Someone has been talking to my Mrs again 5m bares

A few years ago I met a friend of my Father In Law who used to fly seaplanes in and out of Gladstone

He said of all the harbours he had flown in and out of across the world the biggest sharks he ever saw were in Gladstone Harbour

My scary shark story was a Tiger which cruised up and grabbed the app 5 kg mowie that had blown up and we through back and it cruised past the boat …the boat was 19ft and the Tiger would have been about 16ft

Biggest scare I’ve had in the water was when something tore through the bait net and literally dragged myself and the other person off our feet …the hole in the net was around 4 foot wide

Contains mature language but a good laugh, he does heaps of videos around tweed river

@happy_tiger said in Fishing Thread:

A few years ago I met a friend of my Father In Law who used to fly seaplanes in and out of Gladstone

He said of all the harbours he had flown in and out of across the world the biggest sharks he ever saw were in Gladstone Harbour

My scary shark story was a Tiger which cruised up and grabbed the app 5 kg mowie that had blown up and we through back and it cruised past the boat …the boat was 19ft and the Tiger would have been about 16ft

Biggest scare I’ve had in the water was when something tore through the bait net and literally dragged myself and the other person off our feet …the hole in the net was around 4 foot wide

Did you dive in and catch it bare handed…?

Anyone used drones to spot fish?

@Geo said in Fishing Thread:

@happy_tiger said in Fishing Thread:

Did you dive in and catch it bare handed…?

No …it suddenly occurred to us we had enough prawns lol

Shark story. Not fishing, snorkelling. At Ningaloo some years back.
Snorkelling along with my wife, I was diving down to look for lionfish that hid under the plate coral. My wife hadn’t seen one yet so I was trying to find one for her.
On the outer edge of the reef I dived down and was checking under several plate corals while my wife waited at the surface. I surfaced for air and she was nowhere to be found. I looked in every direction nearby but couldn’t see her distinctive snorkel.
At last I spotted the snorkel taking off at high speed toward the shallows. I caught up with her and asked what she was doing.
She said she saw a big tiger shark and couldn’t see me anywhere (because I was under a plate coral) so she took off.
Thanks dear!

@NT_Tiger said in Fishing Thread:

Shark story. Not fishing, snorkelling. At Ningaloo some years back.
Snorkelling along with my wife, I was diving down to look for lionfish that hid under the plate coral. My wife hadn’t seen one yet so I was trying to find one for her.
On the outer edge of the reef I dived down and was checking under several plate corals while my wife waited at the surface. I surfaced for air and she was nowhere to be found. I looked in every direction nearby but couldn’t see her distinctive snorkel.
At last I spotted the snorkel taking off at high speed toward the shallows. I caught up with her and asked what she was doing.
She said she saw a big tiger shark and couldn’t see me anywhere (because I was under a plate coral) so she took off.
Thanks dear!

She was obviously drawing it away from you.

Reminds me of my mates story of going to one of the nature reserves in Africa where lions and other predators roam.

He looked at the group and decided he would be safe, all he needed to be was the 2nd slowest.

Funny we’ve done a massive a clean out and was saying a probably need a new egg beater

Mrs said I reckon you 've got a dozen rods and reels

When I finally got them all in the same place…13

Not getting a new reel

Has anyone eaten freshwater eel. I’ve caught a few previously at a place we camp.

@Red88_Tiger said in Fishing Thread:

Has anyone eaten freshwater eel. I’ve caught a few previously at a place we camp.

Yes and they can be very nice if prepared correctly. I used to use an italian recipe and sauteed the eel in a tomato based sauce, but it’s also good smoked.
The big thing is skinning it completely without getting and slime on the meat. I used to clean off the slime under running water till it was all gone then I’d skin the eel. A bit of humbug but worth it.
We don’t catch them up here so all in the past for me.

@NT_Tiger said in Fishing Thread:

@Red88_Tiger said in Fishing Thread:

Yes and they can be very nice if prepared correctly. I used to use an italian recipe and sauteed the eel in a tomato based sauce, but it’s also good smoked.
The big thing is skinning it completely without getting and slime on the meat. I used to clean off the slime under running water till it was all gone then I’d skin the eel. A bit of humbug but worth it.
We don’t catch them up here so all in the past for me.

Cheers will give it a go.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.