A Wests link close to my heart

I am a rabbitohs supporter first and foremost, a lot of you would already be aware of this as I shared part of my story before at some point last season and it’s true that I felt forever indebted by the old coach Michael Maguire and I am initially here because of him.

I’ve been questioned by some on here that I am not a Wests Tigers supporter and what happens if Madge was sacked? I’ve thought about that and I couldn’t give a definitive answer…Until now.

I lost my father in the late 90’s to health he struggled with over his entire life, he doubled more than his total life expectancy but I was only a young fella and it wasn’t any consolation to me.

He was a mad Souths supporter hence the reason I am, he grew up in Maroubra so was amongst it in the 70’s.

He was a gigging musician and was providing for me, my sister and my mum who was raising primary school children and only worked one day a week at a baby wear store.

He was an absolute weapon of a drummer, the best in the region even and went as far as being employed by the Beatles number 1 tribute band.

One of my biggest disappointments in life was that we never got to see a Souths game today due to his work and having to pace himself, apart from myself and his dad (my pop) Souths were the men in his life.

We went to just one NRL game together, in 1999 - Souths either had a bye or were away.

It was the Roosters playing a team and as Souths supporters it’s our duty to hate the roosters, who was the team they played? The Magpies.

There will be supporters of either the Tigers kind or the Magpies kind that has been so for 50 years, that’s older than I am and i respect the heck out of people who spend most of their spare time going to games, travelling interstate even to do so.

I am a new supporter of this club and I will learn the history the Wests Tigers over time, I will learn the rich histories of Balmain and Western Suburbs over time.

About to enter the 2nd of many years as a Wests Tigers member and it’s a real special feeling.

I’ll never stop following Souths as my No.1 team but new things come into your life for a reason, Madge brought me over but it did make me think of the grand memory of it all.

alt text

last edited by TigerRabbit

Supporting two teams is gross.

Dump Souffs and come a full time Tiger. Can’t promise you any wins, on or off the field…but you will get to see many, many home grounds and you dont have to worry about footy in September which you need to use to detox . You will need this month cause a season watching this club tends to send most to drink.

I stopped reading after you said you were a Rabbitohs supporter.

Still go back to 1909 - Despise the Rabbits with a passion.

Do us a favor and go back to supporting them 100%.

@Russell said in A Wests link close to my heart:

wow how old are you Russ, 120?

@fair-dinkum said in A Wests link close to my heart:

I stopped reading after you said you were a Rabbitohs supporter.

Meh so what. Are all your mates Tigers supporters? of course not. Who cares. He’s come on here and actually provided more info than most of our so called insiders. Leave him alone.

Give him a go. He will thank us for the ongoing joys of supporting Wests Tigers.

@TigerRabbit said in A Wests link close to my heart:

I am a rabbitohs supporter first and foremost, a lot of you would already be aware of this as I shared part of my story before at some point last season and it’s true that I felt forever indebted by the old coach Michael Maguire and I am initially here because of him.

I’ve been questioned by some on here that I am not a Wests Tigers supporter and what happens if Madge was sacked? I’ve thought about that and I couldn’t give a definitive answer…Until now.

I lost my father in the late 90’s to health he struggled with over his entire life, he doubled more than his total life expectancy but I was only a young fella and it wasn’t any consolation to me.

He was a mad Souths supporter hence the reason I am, he grew up in Maroubra so was amongst it in the 70’s.

He was a gigging musician and was providing for me, my sister and my mum who was raising primary school children and only worked one day a week at a baby wear store.

He was an absolute weapon of a drummer, the best in the region even and went as far as being employed by the Beatles number 1 tribute band.

One of my biggest disappointments in life was that we never got to see a Souths game today due to his work and having to pace himself, apart from myself and his dad (my pop) Souths were the men in his life.

We went to just one NRL game together, in 1999 - Souths either had a bye or were away.

It was the Roosters playing a team and as Souths supporters it’s our duty to hate the roosters, who was the team they played? The Magpies.

There will be supporters of either the Tigers kind or the Magpies kind that has been so for 50 years, that’s older than I am and i respect the heck out of people who spend most of their spare time going to games, travelling interstate even to do so.

I am a new supporter of this club and I will learn the history the Wests Tigers over time, I will learn the rich histories of Balmain and Western Suburbs over time.

About to enter the 2nd of many years as a Wests Tigers member and it’s a real special feeling.

I’ll never stop following Souths as my No.1 team but new things come into your life for a reason, Madge brought me over but it did make me think of the grand memory of it all.

alt text

Beautiful story Tigerrabbit.

You seem an honest, thoughtful poster so welcome.

My dad is a Souths supporter. My nan and Aunty were absolute one eyed rabbits who as members went to every game. My cousin is still a game attending member and is as passionate for Souths as I am for Tigers. There is a lot of rabbit history in my family.

When I was a kid my nan always got me into the stand at Redfern oval to watch tigers rabbits games. I remember terry Fay (spelling???) on the wing the most.

My dad is now declining due to dementia so I appreciate more every day the reminiscing of happy days gone by.

So whilst I am by no means a Souths enthusiast, they do hold a soft spot for me so I suppose we have some common ground.

I’m sorry some of the posts in response to yours are not more objective and thoughtful.

They are cheating the salary cap though😜

Unless this comment contains sarcasm which is unclear…it is one of the most pathetic comments I have read, you should be ashamed.

Some immature juveniles here really… Well ome TR

@innsaneink said in A Wests link close to my heart:

Some immature juveniles here really… Well ome TR

Hear, hear

Aren’t we all footy fans at the end of the day? TR is here and contributing in a meaningful manner. They aren’t trolling or being antagonistic, it’s actually a refreshing change.

We got pumped that day 38-18 😭
Not surprisingly 😂😂😂

Enjoy the ride of being a Wests Tigers supporter, never a dull moment!!

Thanks for sharing your story. I don’t mind the bunnies. I think we all have a shared hatred of the Rorters.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme