Fullback - Impact and Value for Money

Sorry I don’t know how to do a poll, but I’m interested in who most fans think could have the biggest impact at fullback out of current players and rumoured signings. I think value for money is an important factor in this discussion.

1. Thompson
  2. Mbye
  3. Abbey
  4. Mitchell
  5. Johnston

LM is probably the easiest pick, but a lot to consider here (hasn’t played much fullback in recent years, commitment, fitness and may want out mid contract etc.).

But my pick (before any trials) would be Brad Abbey. Assuming he’s fit and over injuries, i think he could have a big impact on the team if given a decent chance. A natural fullback with height and speed. Highlights reel shows he has a complete game (catching, running, passing, kicking) although not to sure about his defence. I imagine he will be super hungry and determined as he’s probably feeling like this is his last shot. Couple this with what I imagine is close to a 2nd tier contract money and he could be really good value. Would love to see him come in and do something similar to Charles NK.

I’m actually ok with the Johnston talk. He has plenty of what we are lacking at fullback at present. For what its worth I hope if we miss out on Mitchell that we do sign Johnston (only after Rabbits confirm LM - don’t want to help them). Then between Abbey, Johnston and Thompson we have good depth for fullback and wing.

My order:
Abbey
Mitchell
Johnston
Thompson
Mbye

Mitchell
Mbye/AJ

Thompson

Abbey

The fact that you have to ask this question means the correct answer is Mitchell.

Mbye was tried and found to be not NRL standard and replaced by Thompson.

Thompson tries his guts out but is so good that this thread exists and we are continually debating fullback options. If Thompson was the answer there is no discussion.

Johnston is Thompson standard without the effort and courage. Couldn’t nail down fullback spot despite lack of legitimate options.

Abbey has massive injury concerns and has never nailed a first grade fullback gig

Mitchell on his day is most destructive back in the game and was the chosen fullback for most successful and professional club in the competition as a teenager until they signed Teddy

@Toowoomba_Tiger said in Fullback - Impact and Value for Money:

Sorry I don’t know how to do a poll, but I’m interested in who most fans think could have the biggest impact at fullback out of current players and rumoured signings. I think value for money is an important factor in this discussion.

1. Thompson
  2. Mbye
  3. Abbey
  4. Mitchell
  5. Johnston

LM is probably the easiest pick, but a lot to consider here (hasn’t played much fullback in recent years, commitment, fitness and may want out mid contract etc.).

But my pick (before any trials) would be Brad Abbey. Assuming he’s fit and over injuries, i think he could have a big impact on the team if given a decent chance. A natural fullback with height and speed. Highlights reel shows he has a complete game (catching, running, passing, kicking) although not to sure about his defence. I imagine he will be super hungry and determined as he’s probably feeling like this is his last shot. Couple this with what I imagine is close to a 2nd tier contract money and he could be really good value. Would love to see him come in and do something similar to Charles NK.

I’m actually ok with the Johnston talk. He has plenty of what we are lacking at fullback at present. For what its worth I hope if we miss out on Mitchell that we do sign Johnston (only after Rabbits confirm LM - don’t want to help them). Then between Abbey, Johnston and Thompson we have good depth for fullback and wing.

My order:
Abbey
Mitchell
Johnston
Thompson
Mbye

You might be right about Abbey. He’s a cheap punt with a massive potential upside.

Want to play finals and have a shot at winning once there, for mine Mitchell provides that. Value for money has plenty of variables, with making the finals plus exposure bringing value, just as the lack of it detracts.

Whatever occurs in our recruitment for the back three, it needs to bring impact and pace, preferably both.

IMO tip four teams don’t look at “value for money “ in spine positions.

@avocadoontoast said in Fullback - Impact and Value for Money:

Mitchell
Mbye/AJ

Thompson

Abbey

Abbey is a smokey for me.

@Toowoomba_Tiger said in Fullback - Impact and Value for Money:

1. Thompson
  2. Mbye
  3. Abbey
  4. Mitchell
  5. Johnston

My order:
Abbey
Mitchell
Johnston
Thompson
Mbye

I don’t why we always assume that players should play out of position. When a player is purchased they are normally purchased for a position not a fill in for somewhere else in the team. Playing out of position does not work in a very high percentage of time.

Mbye is a fullback not centre and certainly not a hooker

Mitchell is a wannabe fullback but ultimately he is a centre

Johnston and Thompson are the same as Mitchell but are wingers

If you want a hooker buy a recognised hooker, not Mbye, Marshall, Taylor or Reynolds

If you want a fullback, thats why we bought Mbye, if it is not working it was a bad buy

The old saying is you can’t weaken one position to attempt to strengthen another

Value for money and players that are cheap shouldn’t even be in the lexicon when you have the money to spend that we have. Shows how hard old habits are to kick, talking about who we can buy who wouldn’t cost a lot. We should be past that now, looking at top tier players. Forget about money.

1. Mitchell
  2. Mbye
  3. AJ
  4. Thompson
  5. Abbey

How on earth can anyone include Abbey?!

Who knows if his fitness will hold up after 3 ACLs! Not to mention speed. He missed basically all of last season due to injuries, only played bits and pieces the year before.

We doesn’t start full training for another month or two. He’ll have to play half a season of CC before he gets even the slightest sniff of a first grade chance.

Mitchell
Johnston
Thompson
Mbye
Smith
Cini

@balmain-boy said in Fullback - Impact and Value for Money:

How on earth can anyone include Abbey?!

Who knows if his fitness will hold up after 3 ACLs! Not to mention speed. He missed basically all of last season due to injuries, only played bits and pieces the year before.

We doesn’t start full training for another month or two. He’ll have to play half a season of CC before he gets even the slightest sniff of a first grade chance.

Mitchell
Johnston
Thompson
Mbye
Smith
Cini

I said he was a smokey. Do you get it?

No doubt Abbey has some hurdles to overcome, but i don’t fully subscribe to the theory that acl injuries will always reduce speed. Plenty of players have come back just as strong, but point taken…as other players haven’t.
He certainly had plenty of speed. From his highlights reel he would be the fastest in the team if he can recapture that speed and I think depending on recruitment Madge will be watching him closely when considering the fullback position.

Just a query, seems Dylan Smith is not pressuring for the top job. Has he been that poor? Maybe Abbey will be taking his spot in CC whilst he is getting match fit.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme