Our 1 to 5...

Now that we have missed out on LM, let’s take a look at our 1-5…objectively.

1. Cory: tries very hard, no passing game, weak under the high ball, small. I think it is fair to say he is in the bottom tier of NRL fullbacks.

2. Nofa: improved considerably back end of last season. In no way a rep level winger though and no X factor.

3. Momo: a real pro, improved a ton. Can find the line. Lacks speed, size snd power though…

4. Mbye: not a half, not a FB, not a hooker, likely not a center either. Nice ability to pass, but generally undersized for the position.

5. Jennings…can fall over the line.

Depth: very little…State cup backs are terrible / the young guys we do have coming through are still kids.

Size, speed and power all lacking.

Tommy is the X factor…will make an enormous difference if he has an immediate impact.

JAC and AJ would offer legit speed and try scoring ability. We need something. Those last couple of roster spots have to be backs with X factor imo.

As it stands, that 1-5 is the worst in the comp. possibly Titans as bad. But all 1-5 lack key skills snd none have X factor.

Damn
Doesn’t look good on paper.pretty much spot on with most of it.
Praying 🙏🏽 Tommy kills it
Full back spot is a huge concern I hope we snag AJ .id personally would take gagai for the right price also
I noticed our defence looked better last year out wide with Mbye at centre

@Sausagesorcerer said in Our 1 to 5...:

Damn
Full back spot is a huge concern I hope we snag AJ .id personally would take gagai for the right price also

Apart from the first 5 being pretty ordinary, depth is also a huge issue.

Can anyone name a back up 1-5 of NRL standard?

1. Smith: not even close to NRL level. Won’t ever make it.

2. Bradley: I saw nothing that suggests he will make it. Is tall, that is about it.

3. Tommy: the great hope.

4. Anyone at all? Chee Kam? Please no…

5. Anyone at all? The state cup wingers are nowhere near NRL level.

@ElleryHanley said in Our 1 to 5...:

@Sausagesorcerer said in Our 1 to 5...:

Damn

Apart from the first 5 being pretty ordinary, depth is also a huge issue.

Can anyone name a back up 1-5 of NRL standard?

1. Smith: not even close to NRL level. Won’t ever make it.

2. Bradley: I saw nothing that suggests he will make it. Is tall, that is about it.

3. Tommy: the great hope.

4. Anyone at all? Chee Kam? Please no…

5. Anyone at all? The state cup wingers are nowhere near NRL level.

Honestly I can’t
I feel for the guy but every time MCK plays out wide we have zero attack and he is way too slow to even be considered a centre.I think we need to go hard for these bunny rejects

Go hard for JAC and AJ
The only bargaining tool we have in the backs for melbourne storm is Nofo

Mbye played very well at centre.

We will make it to semis this year with that back 5…give or take…u heard it here first

Mbye, Nofo and Thompson are decent to good first grade players. Momo looked like he might get to that level. Jennings was unfit last year. Maybe he can turn it around.

The back-up options look terrible.

It’s a really poor overall back 5 and we need some outside backs. Best case the listed 5 play to their best, get a great run with injuries and we compete week in and week out in relation to our outside backs. The point being that best case isn’t that good and it’s highly unlikely things will go that well.

We need to purchase some quality outside backs.

I’d rather not look at our 1-5 if that’s OK

If you put them up against every other club’s 1-5 we might be better than the Titans

Just a completely embarrassing load of crap …and we have how much left for our 2020 cap ??

Subjectively really. Like a journalists opinion piece passed off as reality.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/stats/players?sortBy=games

Woe be me

@TheDaBoss said in Our 1 to 5...:

We will make it to semis this year with that back 5…give or take…u heard it here first

I’ll take your money

In all honesty with the embarrassing (not in a good way) talent we have going into 2020, which is another throw away year, id prefer to see the back cattle line up this way.

1. Corey - wears his heart on his sleeve, gives all but lacks serious size and doesnt seek attacking opportunities enough. Could be our little Hodgo 2.0, I just wish he would trail up the middle looking for offloads like Hodgo used to do, get the offload and streak away under the sticks but you never see Corey trailing any play actively looking for attacking offloads.
  2. Nofo - Best winger the club has…says it all for the current state of the club.
  3. Tommy - Rated as a potential superstar, but so was Mat Groat. Potential means zero.
  4. Mbye - Had a few belting games at centre last year. Hits hard and positions himself well. No idea where to play this guy 1-17? Will probably wrap up a centre spot this year.
  5. Darts at a dartboard, Momo due to height? due to kicking %? due to being just 2% better than Jennings? due to just turning up to training? I dont think anyone has a clue on the other winger.

Pretty sad state of affairs for 2020.

However living in fantasy land as a WestsTiger fan -

1. AJ
  2. Nofo
  3. Talau
  4. Mbye
  5. JAC

Thats a top 4 backline 1-5 there.

@happy_tiger said in Our 1 to 5...:

@TheDaBoss said in Our 1 to 5...:

I’ll take your money

1 Bunnings snag comming my way

@happy_tiger said in Our 1 to 5...:

I’d rather not look at our 1-5 if that’s OK

If you put them up against every other club’s 1-5 we might be better than the Titans

Just a completely embarrassing load of crap …and we have how much left for our 2020 cap ??

But we’re getting a new gym and plunge pool !

@ElleryHanley said in Our 1 to 5...:

Now that we have missed out on LM, let’s take a look at our 1-5…objectively.

1. Cory: tries very hard, no passing game, weak under the high ball, small. I think it is fair to say he is in the bottom tier of NRL fullbacks.

2. Nofa: improved considerably back end of last season. In no way a rep level winger though and no X factor.

3. Momo: a real pro, improved a ton. Can find the line. Lacks speed, size snd power though…

4. Mbye: not a half, not a FB, not a hooker, likely not a center either. Nice ability to pass, but generally undersized for the position.

5. Jennings…can fall over the line.

Depth: very little…State cup backs are terrible / the young guys we do have coming through are still kids.

Size, speed and power all lacking.

Tommy is the X factor…will make an enormous difference if he has an immediate impact.

JAC and AJ would offer legit speed and try scoring ability. We need something. Those last couple of roster spots have to be backs with X factor imo.

As it stands, that 1-5 is the worst in the comp. possibly Titans as bad. But all 1-5 lack key skills snd none have X factor.

Were not the worst in the comp. (wait looks up team lists)
Dragons, Lomax, Sailor, Lafai, Aitken, Periera … ok better fullback and centers. Wings are riskier.
Titans AJ brimstone, Don, Kelly, Peachey and Sami Better fullback and centers, unsure on Sami but better overall.
We may have a claim over these below but it’s lineball.
Bulldogs Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, Nick Meaney, Will Hopoate, Reimis Smith, Jayden Okunbor. There is talent here but Hopoate lacks. Probably better then us.
Newcastle Ponga, Lee, Hymel Hunt, Moga and Bradman Best… … I actually think we have a better back line.

Yes Ponga sets the world on fire. The rest arn’t that good and I believe we edge them because we will be able to defend when Newcastle don’t. Then again, new coach may teach them defense.

Overall were in trouble. I will rate Momo and Jennings higher then some. We need a real NR1 as this is the engine of most modern teams. We should not settle for a stop gap, that’s what lead us to signing Mbye (remember no cash for DWZ).

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.