Injury Update: 2020

Injury Update: Players returning as 2020 season approaches

Dan Talintyre
Timestamp
Sat 25 Jan 2020, 06:01 AM

Wests Tigers can provide the following injury update as the start of the 2020 season approaches, with less than a month until the first games of the year with the NRL Perth Nines.

With two full weeks of training completed following the New Year break, Wests Tigers have been boosted by the successful returns of Alex Twal (groin), Matt Eisenhuth (groin) and Josh Aloiai (hand) to full-team training.

The likes of Elijah Taylor (knee), Michael Chee Kam (shoulder) and David Nofoaluma (shoulder) are also in full team training after minor injuries or surgeries completed during the off-season break.

Russell Packer (foot) is also progressing well as he increases his running load and responds well on-field as a result.

Young hooker Jacob Liddle (knee) continues to make very positive progress with his strength training and movement drills. The 23-year-old is on track to begin the running phase of his rehabilitation process around Round 1.

Currently training with the extended NRL squad, train-and-trialist Brad Abbey (knee) is approaching the final stages of his rehabilitation from an ACL injury suffered last season with another club. Abbey is expected to return to skills training on-field in the next few weeks before the regular season commences.

Wests Tigers players will continue to ramp up preparations in the next few weeks before entering the start of competitive games. The 2020 NRL Perth Nines is first up on the calendar with games on February 14-15, before Wests Tigers take on the Penrith Panthers (February 22) and New Zealand Warriors (March 1) in NRL trials.

The club’s first NRL game of the season will then take place two weeks later with a clash against the St. George-Illawarra Dragons in Wollongong on March 15.

I can’t see us getting much out of Packer this year. He needed a full off season.

@gallagher said in Injury Update: 2020:

I can’t see us getting much out of Packer this year. He needed a full off season.

Hes raring to go Gal… God help the opposition.

@Russell said in Injury Update: 2020:

absolutely will run at the line a gazillion miles an hour then dead stop when he is tackled.

Jennings would smash him. 😅

Also known as " battle of the bludgers"

Don’t know if there is any truth to this but someone on the facebook fans page said that Musgrove and Leilua got injured During the opposed training session against the dogs, knee and ankle.

Casualty Ward: Key Tigers shake off injuries
Author
NRL.com
Timestamp
Sat 25 Jan 2020, 09:19 AM

Wests Tigers’s pre-season campaign has received a shot in the arm with a trio of key forwards back in full training.

Alex Twal (groin), Matt Eisenhuth (groin) and Josh Aloiai (hand) have made successful comebacks from their injuries.

The likes of Elijah Taylor (knee), Michael Chee Kam (shoulder) and David Nofoaluma (shoulder) are also back in full team training after minor injuries or surgeries during the off-season break.

Veteran prop Russell Packer (foot) is also progressing well as he increases his running load. Young hooker Jacob Liddle (knee) continues to make progress with his strength training and movement drills and is on track to begin the running phase of his rehabilitation around round one.

Train-and-trialist Brad Abbey (knee) is approaching the final stages of his rehabilitation from an ACL injury suffered last season at Canberra and is expected to return to on-field skills training in the next few weeks.

@Madge said in Injury Update: 2020:

Don’t know if there is any truth to this but someone on the facebook fans page said that Musgrove and Leilua got injured During the opposed training session against the dogs, knee and ankle.

Sounds about right sadly.

Jennings couldn’t smash an egg!

@tigerap said in Injury Update: 2020:

absolutely will run at the line a gazillion miles an hour then dead stop when he is tackled.

We’ll see Chief.

Jennings couldn’t smash an egg!

Maybe an avocado?

(Not a reference to acvoontoast here)

How come this can be released by WT only a couple of days ago and it is seen to be rightly or wrongly incorrect? The recent articles on Reynolds say he has a calf strain injury. I just don’t know what to give credit to anymore. We know the club was pretty bad in their injury updates last season but I’d have thought it wouldn’t persist into this season.

On the plus side, I hope Abbey’s recovery continues and he can find a spot in reserves, first to get some match fitness, and then hopefully a shot at fullback during the season as I don’t think we are getting a quality starting fullback now in recruitment and Thompson should get the start as fullback but I think as the season progresses others such as Abbey might put pressure on and force Thompsons return to his better spot on the wing.

@2005magic said in Injury Update: 2020:

How come this can be released by WT only a couple of days ago and it is seen to be rightly or wrongly incorrect? The recent articles on Reynolds say he has a calf strain injury. I just don’t know what to give credit to anymore. We know the club was pretty bad in their injury updates last season but I’d have thought it wouldn’t persist into this season.

On the plus side, I hope Abbey’s recovery continues and he can find a spot in reserves, first to get some match fitness, and then hopefully a shot at fullback during the season as I don’t think we are getting a quality starting fullback now in recruitment and Thompson should get the start as fullback but I think as the season progresses others such as Abbey might put pressure on and force Thompsons return to his better spot on the wing.

The calf strain is just that - nothing major and the less news about Josh at the moment, the better.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme