Matterson lands Eels leadership role

Matterson lands Eels leadership role after inspirational speech
Author
Dan Walsh & Tanisha Stanton
Wed 5 Feb 2020, 05:00 PM

Ryan Matterson has been elevated to Parramatta’s leadership group just three months after an ugly walkout of his Wests Tigers, with an inspirational speech in his first week of training convincing teammates of his commitment to their cause.

Matterson is the most notable inclusion in Parramatta’s five-man leadership group led by captain Clint Gutherson, star half Mitchell Moses and forwards Nathan Brown and Junior Paulo.

In far more palatable scenes than the elections oft associated with Parramatta’s boardroom in the past, Brad Arthur’s entire squad voted in a “1, 2, 3, 4, 5” format to decide on Gutherson’s senior deputies.

Matterson only returned to his junior club in November, apologising to Tigers fans on Monday for his “frustrating” exit less than 12 months after arriving at Concord.

The NSW Origin hopeful impressed his new teammates with a prepared address after one of his first training sessions, holding court while reading from his phone in the dressing room.

“Leading, I feel like it happens naturally for me,” Matterson told NRL.com.

Matterson in Eels leadership groupMatterson in Eels leadership group
Matterson in Eels leadership group
“I really enjoy it and it’s pretty exciting now that we’ve got a leadership group going on here and to be a part of that makes me feel honoured, especially in the short time that I’ve been here.”

Matterson’s post-training speech caught Parramatta players off-guard, but had him held in high esteem almost immediately.

“The third session he got up and said this massive speech in front of all of us and the staff and we thought ‘wow, he’s here to win’,” young five-eighth Dylan Brown recalled.

"When he did that, everyone had respect for him already but for him to do that in front of a new club shows he wants to be a leader.

"It’s been three months and he’s already in the leadership group so it shows what kind of player he is and what he can do for us.

"It was a long speech but it was all about winning and, what was the word … mindfulness.

Excuse me but why do we care who is in the Slimey Eels leadership group…

“Leading, I feel like it happens naturally for me,” Matterson

Parramatta seem to be getting a favourable run in News Limited publications over the past 48 hours or so .
Wests Tigers on the other hand get “smashed up” by their so called journos at any opportunity.
There wouldn’t be a hidden agenda in their bias by any chance ??

Look, I know he’s a grub, but least he addressed the supporters, as empty of a gesture that is. We didn’t get that that from Cleary, who hightailed it in the middle of the night. Or Moses who walked out mid season. So he at least has that. Congrats Matto. Break a leg.

@Wounded_magpie said in Matterson lands Eels leadership role:

Parramatta seem to be getting a favourable run in News Limited publications over the past 48 hours or so .
Wests Tigers on the other hand get “smashed up” by their so called journos at any opportunity.

Does it matter?

First thing on his list is to teach the others integrity and honour. Hope he has a huge year. Break a leg.

That News Limited smash us at each opportunity? I can’t say I’m a fan of it @GNR4LIFE said in Matterson lands Eels leadership role:

Does it matter?

last edited by Wounded_magpie

What credentials are required to lead a team to the spoon most years? Weak mindedness, sooking, flight reflex rather than fight…

Qualities of a leader include

Honesty and Integrity. …
Inspire Others. …
Commitment and Passion. …
Good Communicator. …
Decision-Making Capabilities. …
Accountability. …
Delegation and Empowerment. …
Creativity and Innovation

Yep he gronk fits none of those

Well he might just make a good leader after all
Now get working Matto and lead all the best players out the door

@Cairnstigers said in Matterson lands Eels leadership role:

Well he might just make a good leader after all
Now get working Matto and lead all the best players out the door

That’s probably his plan

Didn’t work at rorters or tigers but probably will at parra

He has a huge advantage as well with Moses an expert at it and will help train the other boys on dogging the club

@GNR4LIFE said in Matterson lands Eels leadership role:

Does it matter?

Parramatta doesn’t matter.

He meant to say …Leaving comes naturally to me …not leading …maybe a typo

Hahahahahaah good luck to the Slimeys.

As if they needed another bloke to fold when things get tough, then elevate him to (vc).

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Go to https://weststigersforum.com/reset to reset your password, otherwise send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.