Rugby on its knees after broadcaster walks away

Rugby on its knees after broadcaster walks away
February 6 2020 8.34 am

Rugby Australia is looking for a new broadcasting partner with Fox Sports reportedly pulling the pin on their deal at the end of 2020.News Corp Australia, majority owner of Fox Sports Australia and news.com.au, reported that after months of negotiations talks came to an end on Wednesday. The struggling code will potentially look at a deal with Optus, News Corp Australia reported.

Fox Sports has had deals with rugby in Australia dating back to 1996, when the game turned professional.The current television deal, signed in 2015 was worth $285 million, giving RA $57 million a year. Fox Sports and Network Ten are the current domestic broadcasters of rugby in Australia, with Fox Sports showing all Super Rugby games and both screening Wallabies Test matches. “We are preparing to take the package to market early this month,” an RA spokesman told News Corp Australia. Rugby in Australia has had a difficult time in recent years with declining interest in Super Rugby, highlighted by lower crowds and television viewing numbers.

Rugby Australia boss Raelene Castle knocked back Fox’s original offer. Fox has now indicated it would be moving on from rugby, parting ways with highly respected rugby commentator Nick McArdle and former Wallaby Drew Mitchell from their roster as well as cutting their weekly rugby show. The Daily Telegraph reports the first round matches averaged just 33,000 viewers last weekend, down 19 per cent on round one last year and more worryingly, games with Australian teams were down 35 per cent.

Oh well, they still have QANTAS.

It’s a dud sport to watch isn’t it. I tried watching years ago. I’d watch a game or two and just give up.

Ding dong

AFL next, in my dreams

Hopefully that money is used to get the EPL back

There was a reason Rugby League pulled away from Rugby - took awhile but it is now revealed.

Mr Turdburg is trying to take Rugby League down the same path.

Get rid of him, before he does it.

Good game to play patheticaly boring to watch

@twentyforty said in Rugby on its knees after broadcaster walks away:

By all reports the little leprechaun is finishing up soon so he leaves a nice little mess to clean up…

@dazza65 said in Rugby on its knees after broadcaster walks away:

By all reports the little leprechaun is finishing up soon so he leaves a nice little mess to clean up…

I think the relationship is even bigger than Joyce, predating his appointment. But that’s not to say it has been all whisky n clovers 😏

@Earl said in Rugby on its knees after broadcaster walks away:

It’s a dud sport to watch isn’t it. I tried watching years ago. I’d watch a game or two and just give up.

Its a horrible game to watch, people want to whinge about league refs but geez, rugby is so grubby in its reffing, id love for once a ref to call a ball that goes a metre forward a knock on.

I think the relationship is even bigger than Joyce, predating his appointment. But that’s not to say it has been all whisky n clovers 😏

true… in a way. Professionally I have some experience with both bodies and tbh Joyce has virtually been running RA in many ways…

true… in a way. Professionally I have some experience with both bodies and tbh Joyce has virtually been running RA in many ways…

Who’s the new ceo?

Crikey Raelene Castle is a goose. A game that is literally dying and you reject a broadcast offer? They were lucky to get one in the first place.

@avocadoontoast said in Rugby on its knees after broadcaster walks away:

Crikey Raelene Castle is a goose. A game that is literally dying and you reject a broadcast offer? They were lucky to get one in the first place.

Is she an NRL plant?!

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Go to https://weststigersforum.com/reset to reset your password, otherwise send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.