Relatives who support teams you hate

Just wondering what the etiquette is here. Particularly when you are at a family get together and your uncle and your cousin are having a convo about Parra and the signing of a certain individual who shall go nameless. Am I obliged to sit and listen? I mean, i’m only human right?

@GNR4LIFE said in Relatives who support teams you hate:

Just wondering what the etiquette is here. Particularly when you are at a family get together and your uncle and your cousin are having a convo about Parra and the signing of a certain individual who shall go nameless. Am I obliged to sit and listen? I mean, i’m only human right?

I’m come prepared with matching blue/yellow wooden spoons to just remind them of recent failures. I have the same issue with my neighbours who are otherwise legends. Pity they gave us a hiding last year…

emancipation would be an underreaction

Just like liking different types of music and such…

Makes good for good conversation.
All personal opinion…

Can’t hate.

There’s always a bit of friendly banter with my Roosters supporting family.

No point getting too upset over it.

My relatives that support other teams 😹I just do not talk to them … there loss Losers !

No etiquette…just give them heaps

Use the Rorters Premiers T-Shirt you get for Christmas to wash the car…

@hobbo1 said in Relatives who support teams you hate:

I couldn’t resist but have a little crack. I told them to beware the mental health card.

Had a similar situation back in October at another get together. It was the day of the World 9’s and they were fawning over Moses. Again, couldn’t help but have a crack, which caused my cousin to needle me the rest of the game, proclaiming Moses the best half in the game.

I guess when you are as passionate about footy as we are, it almost becomes like politics and religion. A debate that never ends well.

last edited by GNR4LIFE

My oldest two boys go for Souths and Storm, it’s certainly not easy.

It was tough when my Autistic boy was still learning to cope with things, even the smallest thing not going his way would upset him. He’s a bit more experienced and has a bit more self control now.

Storm would be flogging us, Tigers’d get a penalty and he’d start to go into melt down. “Really?” The inner Tiger in me would say before helping him.

Although, it’s hard to remain dirty on a team when seeing them lose you also see you kid/s upset or sad. Lucky I have no one in my family who likes Riff or Eels

last edited by JD Tiger

I couldn’t resist but have a little crack. I told them to beware the mental health card.

Had a similar situation back in October at another get together. It was the day of the World 9’s and they were fawning over Moses. Again, couldn’t help but have a crack, which caused my cousin to needle me the rest of the game, proclaiming Moses the best half in the game.

I guess when you are as passionate about footy as we are, it almost becomes like politics and religion. A debate that never ends well.

Would’ve got stuck right into them, particularly Moses and his tanking and Matterson with his cowardly exit from WT. Probably wouldn’t go down too well and most likely not be invited to the next family gathering. Moses and Matterson are amongst the lowest forms of life when it comes to a team sport scenario.

Yeah it can get quite nasty…
My mate once left his Souths jersey at my place after a huge night .
The next day we used it to clean the bbq then we set fire to it 😂

He wasn’t happy but we’re still mates .

😂 That’s classic!
Hope that putrid jersey didn’t soil your hotplate.

I supported Wests, Brother was Balmain, Dad followed Matty Seers because he knew his dad, and my sister-in-law loved Beau Ryan. We were all good for a while.

@Fade-To-Black said in Relatives who support teams you hate:

😂 That’s classic!
Hope that putrid jersey didn’t soil your hotplate.

The plan was to turn it inside out to clean the bbq then give it back to him …
But the bbq was still warm having used it to cook breakfast on and the jersey started to sort of melt …
So we poured turps on it and torched it 😂
I was a long time ago and that old bbq is long gone .

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme