One for the guitar and bass enthusiasts.

I have a Randall RH100 G2 solid state head with a speaker deck. I have had it in my shed for a few years as my house was too small for me to set up a guitar space but as I packed down the spare room to advertise it as a studio space for our sale I decided to plug in my Explorer and have a crack. It turns on, but when the volume is cranked to full it is really, really soft. Is it a blown fuse? Have I done a transistor? Would really like to repair it myself if it is an easy fix.

Thanks in advance.

last edited by Cultured_Bogan

@Cultured_Bogan said in One for the guitar and bass enthusiasts.:

I have a Randall RH100 G2 solid state head with a speaker deck. I have had it in my shed for a few years as my house was too small for me to set up a guitar space but as I packed down the spare room to advertise it as a studio space for our sale I decided to plug in my Explorer and have a crack. It turns on, but when the volume is cranked to full it is really, really soft. Is it a blown fuse? Have I done a transistor? Would really like to repair it myself if it is an easy fix.

Thanks in advance.

Was you attempting to play “ smoke on the water “ ?

It’ll be a resistor if the volume won’t crank imo

last edited by hobbo1

Nice set that,can get killer sounds out of Randall.
Not quite the same but my old Marshall stack did something similar,never tried to fix it myself.
Got it fixed.cost an arm and a leg
If I had a better knowledge I’d give it a crack
If you’re good with electronics no doubt there would be a YouTube tutorial

last edited by Sausagesorcerer

Soft as in low volume? Or soft as in no distortion?

@hobbo1 said in One for the guitar and bass enthusiasts.:

Thanks in advance.

Nah, stairway to heaven.

Pfft…

@Dyloh said in One for the guitar and bass enthusiasts.:

Soft as in low volume? Or soft as in no distortion?

Plenty of distortion still. You just wind it out and it has really low volume.

I wound up taking the head apart. I’ve blown both the clean and distortion channel transistors. Nice big smoky marks. Hopefully it can be repaired.

@hobbo1 said in One for the guitar and bass enthusiasts.:

Thanks in advance.

Nah, stairway to heaven.

Pfft…

Cracked board / dry solder joint or a bad resistor …good luck !

plays ode to joy aggressively

They are a solid state amp so either you have fried something or you have bad solder joint. Or you could just get rid of it and buy a valve amp.

Is your guitar a Gibson Explorer? They are one of the best looking guitars, great sound as well.

Would love an explorer. Or a Destroyer. But a Firebird…mmmmm. can’t help you with your electronics issues. I just pay the experts.

@TCL said in One for the guitar and bass enthusiasts.:

They are a solid state amp so either you have fried something or you have bad solder joint. Or you could just get rid of it and buy a valve amp.

Is your guitar a Gibson Explorer? They are one of the best looking guitars, great sound as well.

Yeah decided to open it up after I started the thread. Two transistors have blown out. Never tested it at full range so wondering how they would have shorted.

It’s an Gibson Epiphone, a poor mans Explorer. It still sounds good when it’s all cleaned up.

Use a Laney acoustic amp for my sole electric guitar…Ibanez…

Run it thru a boss effects board

Works well for me

@TheDaBoss said in One for the guitar and bass enthusiasts.:

Use a Laney acoustic amp for my sole electric guitar…Ibanez…

Run it thru a boss effects board

Works well for me

Got an Ibanez EX-1500 with a Floyd Rose locking trem. The guy I bought it off took the original pegs off and put Jacksons on for some unknown reason. the glue let go and the bottom E tuning peg just free spins on the anchor. Need to get it replated as well. Got a Jackson JS-1 Dinky as well, but need to straighten the truss rod.

Also have a cheap steel string and nylon string acoustic, and a Maton EM100 12 string.

When you say you had the amp in a shed, was it a typical tin shed where moister and heat are a problem? Also did you have volume and suddenly you lost it or never had volume? Did you smell anything burning or an odd odour?

@TCL said in One for the guitar and bass enthusiasts.:

When you say you had the amp in a shed, was it a typical tin shed where moister and heat are a problem? Also did you have volume and suddenly you lost it or never had volume? Did you smell anything burning or an odd odour?

Nah, I just turned it on and it had bugger all volume. I can only guess that there must have been residual moisture from the shed. It was before the recent rains, and it has never been directly exposed to water. No odd odour or anything. I opened it up and it is scarred around the two transistors. Even at low volume the clean channel sounds distorted.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Go to https://weststigersforum.com/reset to reset your password, otherwise send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.